• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Most asinine proposed gun law yet

scot623

Rep. Peter King, a Republican from New York, is planning to introduce legislation that would make it illegal to bring a gun within 1,000 feet of a government official, according to a person familiar with the congressman's intentions.

King is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee. The proposed law follows the Saturday shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and a federal judge that left six dead, including the judge, and 14 wounded.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, one of the nation's most outspoken gun-control advocates, is backing King's measure and is expected to put the weight of his pro-gun-control organization behind it.

"Yesterday everyone here joined in observing a moment of silence on behalf of the victims of the shooting, and today we come together to speak up for ways to prevent tragedies like this from occurring in the future, by adopting common-sense fixes to some of our broken gun laws," Bloomberg said Tuesday. "Civil debate is important, and I've long spoken out in favor of more cooperation and less antagonism, but I think it's true that the more we learn, the more it becomes clear that this case is fundamentally about a mentally ill drug abuser who had access to guns and shouldn't have."

A spokesman for King wasn't immediately available for comment.

Last edited:

scot623

This law would effectively ban carrying a gun....ANYWHERE!!! How the F are we supposed to know where government officials live, have offices, eat dinner go to church, go to the gym....are you F'ing kidding me???? I'd love to see if this includes local government officials too. What a joke.

Tucker6900

This law would effectively ban carrying a gun....ANYWHERE!!! How the F are we supposed to know where government officials live, have offices, eat dinner go to church, go to the gym....are you F'ing kidding me???? I'd love to see if this includes local government officials too. What a joke.

I think we're missing the point. THE PERSON WHO SHOT GIFFORD WAS A CRIMINAL! He did not care about pistol free zones or any other laws for that matter. He had an agenda, and he followed it. No invisible line is going to stop a criminal from trying this again.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Since a Republican (Rep. Peter King, a Republican from New York) is proposing it, and he often takes the lead on "homeland security" issues, there may be a chance something this idiotic could pass... pray that it does not!

Walt_Kowalski

WOW.. I hope this bill is dropped like a hot potato. Its reeks of tyranny, and is un-American. It creates a separate class of people and one that our founding fathers would never let stand.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

We will now see the "knee-jerkers" and "idiots" on parade. They have been "licking their chops" over this incident as a way to push their agendas, however feeble-minded they may be.

Unless a specific bill/idea can 100% stop a shooting like occurring again, then it is invalid before it is even put to paper let alone put to a vote.

Ask not what new gun laws are needed, ask instead why people do not provide for their own self-defense - PDinDetroit 1/1/11.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin, shortly before February 17, 1775.

TheQ

Are they going to put a live feed GPS on all officials so we can avoid them?

Will they furnish us all with a device to get these live feeds so we can comply?

TheQ

An "official" may hunt in the same woods as you too. Bye bye hunting.

NHCGRPR45

Crossed posted from another thread.

Well the anti's love this kind of news story, and will always try to capitalize on this kind of tragedy. It's what they do, and they are good at it. We, as rationale human beings who understand that bad things happen often when least expected is a terrible fact of life. We, also as rationale human beings prepare to deal with bad things as best we can. We plan, we train and we hope we never have to use the things we know, but we also know we might. We for the most part don't force this down others throats, we don't capitalize on others pain. We do however have to make certain we also don't get punished for anothers stupidity.

We need to work more on the last part, but the saying "cooler heads prevail" is still a good one. When something like this happens everyone one needs to step back, get some perspective and then do what needs doing. If anything.

This "bill" is a sad publicity stunt, and has almost no chance of passing. We as rational people know this, recognise the sad attempt and go about our business.

But like I said people will "do" anything to forward there own agenda.

Nuff said.

scot623

It would be interesting to tell a Govt official who has a CPL and carries for personal protection that he's not allowed to protect himself anymore when he's 1000 ft from another Govt. official.

PDinDetroit

It would be interesting to tell a Govt official who has a CPL and carries for personal protection that he's not allowed to protect himself anymore when he's 1000 ft from another Govt. official.

Naw, it would likely have some sort of provision like "unless acting under official duties".

I hope it would have that provision, since we as "citizens" have a duty to be a part of government! Show up to a City Commission Meeting 1 time - you are covered!

We The People ARE part of the government!

US Constitution said:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

MI Constitution said:
We, the people of the State of Michigan, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of freedom, and earnestly desiring to secure these blessings undiminished to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this constitution.

From the US & MI Constitutions, all of the Government Officials are granted their "power" by We The People so we are definitely part of the Government.

Guess we should have the elected officials read the Constitution more often...

DanM

Smells of unreasonable restrictions to the 2A, something I thought the SCOTUS ruled against.

Bingo! This proposed bill by King reeks so badly that even some anti-gunners smell it, and we know how bad their sense of smell is on these issues. Some of them have a conspiracy theory that it's actually an NRA-backed "poison pill" meant to attract a lot of noise and support from gun-grabbers, but eventually die harmlessly from lack of majority support.

It's really funny when you see the anti-gunners' paranoia come out. But, whatever the genesis of this proposed bill, it won't become law. It really is a load of manure.

scot623

Wouldn't it make more sense to make it illegal to be within 7861ft of anyone you plan to kill? ;) (just outside the range of the longest sniper kill ever recorded)

Tucker6900

We will now see the "knee-jerkers" and "idiots" on parade. They have been "licking their chops" over this incident as a way to push their agendas, however feeble-minded they may be.
This is the same thing were going through in Iowa right now.

PDinDetroit

Wouldn't it make more sense to make it illegal to be within 7861ft of anyone you plan to kill? ;) (just outside the range of the longest sniper kill ever recorded)

Sorry, needs to be farther than 8,120 ft (2 confirmed kills in November of 2009 in Afghanistan against Taliban machine gunners by Craig Harrison, a member of the British Household Cavalry, using an Accuracy International AWM L115A3 long-range rifle chambered for .338 Lapua Magnum 8.59mm rounds. The shots were measured by GPS at 8,120ft or 2,706 yards (2,474 m)).

Can't a .50 BMG go about 7 miles (if fired at a 40 degree angle)?

Quick lawmakers - change the bill to 7.257 miles and you will be SAFE!

protias

Can we place a tracking device on all lawmakers then and then give everyone a device to show them where the lawmaker is located at all times? Ya, that'll work real well. :banghead: