• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Magazines on a Belt??

Narced_1

Ok, so i know Open Carry is legal...even in this nazi state...however, let's just say that i am going to the Post Office (where it is not legal to carry).

Can I park in the street...Lock my weapon in an CA DOJ approved locking container in my car (leaving the magazines on my belt) and then walk into the PO (without the weapon?)

Or do the Mags need to be locked too?

how about when driving through a SZ?

Thanks.

emtechnik

From reading the posted signs myself, they make no mention of ammo in the post office. after all, no gun, no bang.

however, there might be something written in the law referencing ammo that I'm unaware of. I have no moral dilemma taking my ammo (but no gun) to check the mail at my PO Box :D

END_THE_FED

I would check the laws of California to see if they have codified anything about carrying in post offices. I have heard that you can run a foul of the law there for concealing magazines because they are an "integral part" of the firearm.
I don't know if they would have something similar to this for carry in restricted buildings.

Narced_1

That's the problem

I can't find anything about that in "the law". specifically CA law. If i pull over and put my Weapon into a Locked case and then get out of my car on school grounds...will i be abruptly arrested for carrying the magazines on my belt?

Maybe can you point me to a source that i can find it myself?

Thanks

rmansu2

My suggestion, post this question in the California Forum. Those guys should have information about your state that most others wouldn't.

I don't think it should be a problem. If there is a guard he will likely question you. But if I remember correctly the Fed Law only talks about a "firearm".

Luggo

Not to be overly pessimistic, but I would be cautious doing that. The post office has in the past enforced the no firearms policy in the parking lot. An eager beaver might see magazines openly visible on a belt as PC to search the car, if the gun is found in the car there certainly could be a big problem. Given that you are parking in the street it may be no issue at all... I don't see many Fed LEO's in post offices, I guess there could be postal inspectors around at any given time.

Perhaps I'm too cautious, but I don't advertise anything related to my handgun on federal property.

Last edited:

rmansu2

Law in here is, your vehicle is an extension of your home. If it's legal in your home, it's legal in you vehicle. (as long as it doesn't interfere with safe operation of said vehicle)

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Law in here is, your vehicle is an extension of your home. If it's legal in your home, it's legal in you vehicle. (as long as it doesn't interfere with safe operation of said vehicle)

I'd be careful with that. I suspect that your State law about that does not override the Federal laws pertaining to Federal (P.O.) property.

I park on the street and disarm when I go into the post office. I play it safe and leave the spare magazine locked in the truck.

OldCurlyWolf

Ok, so i know Open Carry is legal...even in this nazi state...however, let's just say that i am going to the Post Office (where it is not legal to carry).

Can I park in the street...Lock my weapon in an CA DOJ approved locking container in my car (leaving the magazines on my belt) and then walk into the PO (without the weapon?)

Or do the Mags need to be locked too?

how about when driving through a SZ?

Thanks.

Edit: I blew right past the parking in the street. My former post doesn't apply

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
US Code. No mention of ammo only. If it's not specifically prohibited, it's permitted
US Code Title 18
§ 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d)Subsection (a) shall not apply to— (1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes. Title 39 CFR 232.1
(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

(p) Penalties and other law. (1) Alleged violations of these rules and regulations are heard, and the penalties prescribed herein are imposed, either in a Federal district court or by a Federal magistrate in accordance with applicable court rules. Questions regarding such rules should be directed to the regional counsel for the region involved.
(2) Whoever shall be found guilty of violating the rules and regulations in this section while on property under the charge and control of the Postal Service is subject to fine of not more than $50 or imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any other Federal laws or regulations of any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated.

q) Enforcement. (1) Members of the U.S. Postal Service security force shall exercise the powers provided by 18 U.S.C. 3061(c)(2) and shall be responsible for enforcing the regulations in this section in a manner that will protect Postal Service property and persons thereon

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I wouldn't, as per: "(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes."

Ammunition are explosive.

1245A Defender

well,,,

V C Section 31600 Explosives Defined

Explosives Defined

31600. For the purposes of this division "explosive" or "explosives" means any substance, or combination of substances, the primary or common purpose of which is detonation or rapid combustion and which is capable of a relatively instantaneous or rapid release of gas and heat. "Explosive" or "explosives" includes, but is not necessarily limited to, explosives as defined in Section 12000 of the Health and Safety Code, and any of the following:
(a) Dynamite, nitroglycerine, picric acid, lead azide, fulminate of mercury, black powder, smokeless powder, propellant explosives, detonating primers, blasting caps, commercial boosters, ammonium nitrate-fuel oil mixture (blasting agent), or any explosives as defined in Section 841 of Title 18 of the United States Code and published pursuant to Section 555.23 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, when transported in a combined load with any explosive, as defined in this section.
(b) Substances determined to be division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.6 explosives as classified by the United States Department of Transportation.
(c) "Explosive" or "explosives" does not include small arms ammunition or any other division 1.4 explosive.
(d) This division shall not apply to special fireworks classified by the United States Department of Transportation as division 1.2 or 1.3 explosives when those special fireworks are regulated by and in conformance with Part 2 (commencing with Section 12500) of Division 11 of the Health and Safety Code.
(e) Nothing in this chapter supersedes any regulations for the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in Section 2402.7 or as regulated in Division 14.1 (commencing with Section 32000).

Amended Sec. 17, Ch. 247, Stats. 2004. Effective August 23, 2004.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Exactly, as per c., which is why we could carry 9mm flying over countries which prohibited overflights containing any explosives. Probably by international agreement.

My point about what I wrote is that I wrote "explosive," not "explosives." Even cap guns are "explosive." :)

My point about "I wouldn't" is that most people aren't hazmat qualified.