• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pete King bill would ban guns within 1,000 feet of lawmakers

protias

How are we supposed to know where lawmakers are at all times? Can we put a tracking device on them so we know?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I would like a bill passed that would ban criminals from carrying a gun within 1000 ft of me.
Opps, nevermind, criminals don't care.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47428.html#ixzz1AkpK5q00

I would like to know why it is acceptable to suggest legislation that is in violation of their oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America. If one cannot see the problem with this, one should substitute any of the individual rights in place of the 2nd Amendment...

ban freedom of speech, press and religion within 1000 feet of a law maker...
eliminate any requirements for search and seizure with in 1000 feet of a law maker...
suspend habeous corpus within 1000 feet of a law maker...

Pete King is Constitutionally inept and unworthy of the office in which he was entrusted.

Born2Lose

I would like to know why it is acceptable to suggest legislation that is in violation of their oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America. If one cannot see the problem with this, one should substitute any of the individual rights in place of the 2nd Amendment...

ban freedom of speech, press and religion within 1000 feet of a law maker...
eliminate any requirements for search and seizure with in 1000 feet of a law maker...
suspend habeous corpus within 1000 feet of a law maker...

Pete King is Constitutionally inept and unworthy of the office in which he was entrusted.
Come on Condition3! Don't you know that their lives are much more precious than our commoner lives! I mean after all THEY make laws that we the unwashed masses get to obey.

I can't believe he would even verbalize this..it's absolutely absurd.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Dumb question: What is habeous corpus?? I didn't do so well in Goverment back in High School...

Habeas Corpus, in Latin, "to have the body," is a legal term originating from England back in the Middle Ages. It allows somebody that has been arrested to learn what he has been arrested for and to be brought before a judge. Individuals at Guantanamo Bay right now are not afforded the right of habeas corpus, because otherwise we'd have to charge them with something instead of just holding them (illegally) forever.

As you can see from this article, habeas corpus has been under severe attack since the "war on terrorism" began. The Supreme Court has repeatedly slapped the other two branches of government around saying that they cannot do what they are doing, that they are violating the constitution. Needless to say, the past decade has been a horrible example of how human rights are supposed to work, and our federal government has turned a blind eye over the variety of civil rights violations they have promoted. The Supreme Court, however, has done a pretty good job at consistently telling the feds that they are complete idiots.