• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Called DPS

Dstang97

I called the DPS to see what they would say about CT being a Open carry state and 2 people told me it was concealed only even after I asked them where it said that. Where can I down load the info of the letter to state police saying not to arrest people for open carry? and 2nd why are they lying?

Rich B

What were the names of the people you talked to?

The first piece of advice you need to understand is:

NEVER ASK THE POLICE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

They do not have your best interests in mind.

DPS memo to State Police

Letter from Commissioner

Read the law for yourself:
CGS 29-35

Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions.
(a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

If this was illegal already like they are claiming, then why would they be proposing a law to make it illegal as we speak?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ce-want-legislature-to-ban-open-carry-in-2011

Last edited:

KIX

Funny how clueless they are.

If I had the names, I'd mail them a copy of the DPS letter, since they aren't likely to actually go look it up.

Jonathan

Dstang97

I think they were just desk jockies. The real detectives would not call me back. (seems about right) Thanks for the info. I only called just to see what they would say because I had to renew anyways. The great state of CT raised renewals to 70 dollars. I did read the laws and asked them where it said it had to be concealed and then he transfered me to a detective "that could better answer my question" then got a voice mail and no return call

The only problem I have with the memo is it does not say in the future do not arrest it says "at this event".

Last edited:

Rich B

I think they were just desk jockies.

That doesn't give them the right to give out erroneous data. You should still get anyone's name who is giving out bad information like this so that they can be corrected or complained about.

The only problem I have with the memo is it does not say in the future do not arrest it says "at this event".

Why would the law be different on that day than on any other day? Do you see any place that the statutes conflict with what is in that memo?

Dstang97

Why would the law be different on that day than on any other day? Do you see any place that the statutes conflict with what is in that memo?[/QUOTE]

I did not think of that. Thanks for pointing that out.