• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Australian Greens handgun comments off-colour.

Haz.

Despite firearms being banned, and having the toughest firearm laws of any country in the western world for those who do have firearms, ie. sporting pistol shooters, security guards, police, etc. the Greens political party Australia, play on ever disaster and tragicly use them to further their anti-gun campaign. Our fight to keep what firearms we have will never end. Haz.

http://www.ssaa.org.au/press-releases/2011-01-11_greens-handgun-comments-off-colour.html

SSAA
Sporting Shooters’ Association of Australia
Become a shooter, Join us.

Multimedia
Press releases

For immediate release 11 January 2011

Greens handgun comments off-colour.

Shallow and insensitive are the only words that can be used to describe the calls for a handgun ban by New South Wales Greens MP David Shoebridge following the tragic events in Arizona, USA, last week.

Mr Shoebridge’s comments are all the more inappropriate due to his missed opportunity of not raising the issue of mental health, which, more often than not, is directly linked with these kinds of senseless acts.

It has now come to light that the young perpetrator was mentally unstable, had been rejected from the American Army and had a history of crime and drug-misuse. To attempt to tie-in this act of violence in the United States with the sporting club ownership and use of self-loading handguns in Australia is nonsensical.

Australia has always had strict handgun ownership regulations. Indeed, civilians may only be in the possession of handguns (self-loading or not) for club use, if not part of their professional tools of trade, such as security guards and veterinarians.

There are about 120,000 registered legal handguns in Australia, of which less than half are self-loading.

Sporting club handgun shooters must have passed vigorous police checks, safety courses and probationary periods, and it can take up to 12 months before they can even own a small-calibre pistol.

The magnifying glass must always be put on the misuse of illegal and unregistered guns in society, not upon licensed individuals who are in possession of legal guns and act responsibly in their chosen sport. Furthermore, all attempts should be made to fund and assist the mental health sector to protect society from the criminally mentally unstable.

For additional information, read SSAA National’s Handgun ownership facts in Australia and Handgun ownership myth busting publications.

For further comment, contact SSAA National spokesperson Tim Bannister.

Home > Press releases > Greens handgun comments off-colour

Dreamer

There are about 120,000 registered legal handguns in Australia, of which less than half are self-loading.

Now THAT is something I want to see--a "self-loading" handgun...

Even with my semi-automatic handguns and rifles, a PERSON needs to load the ammo into the magazines, and then a PERSON needs to load the magazine into the gun, and a PERSON needs to pull the trigger to make it shoot...

But a "self-loading" handgun? Wow, I bet that IS one dangerous firearm. Especially if its also "self-shooting"... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Last edited:

KBCraig

I've yet to meet any rifle that loaded itself. Just saying...
It's not loaded until there's a round in the chamber (for "gun purposes", not various state law purposes). Insert the magazine and hit the slide release: the rifle loads itself. Fire around, it extracts and ejects a round and loads the next round all on its own.

If you're being really pedantic, I suppose you could say that the first loading requires a direct human action to place a round in the chamber; after that, it would be a "self RE-loading rifle".

Or, take it up with the Brits. It's their term.

Dreamer

If you're being really pedantic, I suppose you could say that the first loading requires a direct human action to place a round in the chamber; after that, it would be a "self RE-loading rifle".

By that definition, a car with cruise control is a "self-driving" vehicle.

It's not "being pedantic" if someone is pointing out that a term is completely nonsensical. That's called "linguistic accuracy"...

Insisting that incorrect terms be accepted just because they are in common use is, at best, catering to the slow and incremental destruction of the language, and at worst, part of an intentionally-engineered program of propaganda.

RogueWarrior

Speaking as An Aussie the greens are a bunch of AHOLES and they will destroy Australia along with the Dheads the are in power the Labor Goverment

John

since9

Campaign Veteran
By that definition, a car with cruise control is a "self-driving" vehicle.

It's not "being pedantic" if someone is pointing out that a term is completely nonsensical. That's called "linguistic accuracy"...

Insisting that incorrect terms be accepted just because they are in common use is, at best, catering to the slow and incremental destruction of the language, and at worst, part of an intentionally-engineered program of propaganda.

+1. They're called semi-autos for a reason. However, we still call machine guns fully-automatic weapons, even though we know they're not, so... turn about is fair play on this one.