• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Brandishing" while arming yourself in public? (CC)

emtechnik

I ran into a little conundrum while at the gym today. I happened to be wearing my coat that conceals my gun on my hip holster on my way to the gym, so before I went inside to the gym I placed the gun in my gym bag (because I don't want someone to see me put it in the locker for fear that they may steal it or whatnot). After I was done working out, in the locker room I was changing back into my street clothes and put my gun back on my hip, and then my coat over it.

It got me thinking, because I have heard that one can get in trouble for letting a part of the gun slip into view, I wonder that if somebody panicked and saw me put it on and then conceal it, it might be considered brandishing. No incidents for me thus far, but I do want to "arm myself" with all the info I can get :)

Your thoughts?

edit: This is all while keeping to oneself, of course.

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

That is a great question, I have wondered myself... There is no one perfect carry position, and in some situations, as you stated, you need to store your weppon. Myself, it's some times the cargo pocket of my jeans, sometimes a holster on my belt, and sometimes in my boot/ankle holster. It all depends on the situation, the weather, etc. as to where I carry, and I often wonder how to deal with the reactions of others who may get the clue that I'm packin'... I was told by the instructor of the class I took to get my CC permit that even so much as the concealed gun 'printing' under your shirt/clothes will get you a brandishing charge if the cop want's to be a jerk about it.
However, this all confuses me. If we all have the right to carry openly, and if we then take the further steps to be alowd to concealed carry, why is it an issue? If we were first carring openly, and then conceal, it might not be an issue. But if the reverse is true, we get slapped with a brandishing charge?
Yes, I do understand that the point of concealed carry is just that, concealed, and at all times. But in reality, what's the real deal?

VW_Factor

This is something I wondered myself for a time. I need to disarm to go into the S.S. Office in Salem for instance to a new card or something. I need to unholster, unload and lock it away in my car.

Do I really need to hide doing that from the "general public?"

This may be a bad example, but there are other instances where one may be required to disarm before going somewhere or like mentioned because we're going to the gym or whatever...

Looking through ORS stuff roughly doesn't really appear there is a brandishing law. I may have missed it though.

emtechnik

awesome, thanks for the info! I looked around for that info and never found it.

So - I suppose it's on a state-by-state basis.

And by the way, I do have "my" locker, but I don't make a big deal out of it if someone takes it :lol: