The Blog

(User Profile / Log Out) Sign In
    Search
    Politics GOP Rep. Will Introduce New Strict Gun Law
    Posted on January 11, 2011 at 1:18pm by Jonathon M. Seidl
    Print »
    Email »
    Tweet

A popular GOP congressman announced today that he will soon introduce gun control legislation that will make it illegal to carry a gun within 1,000 feet of a federal official.

Rep. Peter King (R-NY), who has generally been supportive of gun control measures, announced the new legislation alongside strong anti-gun New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Not surprisingly, the legislation, which will be introduced in the upcoming weeks, got Bloomberg’s stamp of approval.

King’s office issued a statement about the bill, which reads in part:

Congressman Peter King today also announced that he will introduce legislation that will make it illegal to knowingly carry a gun within 1,000 feet of the President, Vice President, Members of Congress or judges of the Federal Judiciary. In the United States, it is illegal to bring a gun within 1,000 feet of a school. Passing a similar law for government officials would give federal, state, and local law enforcement a better chance to intercept would-be shooters before they pull the trigger.

Bloomberg, the head of the group Mayors Against Illegal Guns, applauded the measure, saying at a joint news conference the “system that’s supposed to protect us from dangerous and deranged people has failed.”

At that same news conference, King defended the bill, saying “The fact is they do represent the people who elect them, and it‘s essential if we’re going to continue to have contact that the public who is at these meetings are ensured of their own safety.”

According to him, the measure does not conflict with conservative views on gun laws.

“From a conservative perspective, we have to have a stable society, we have to keep crime down,” King said. “You cannot do that if the police cannot be assured that illegal guns are not on the street.”

“To have a stable society and a safe society, we have to remove illegal guns,” he continued.

But the main issue might be, if a gun is already “illegal” why would we need more legislation to outlaw it? For example, in many states, laws already prevent people from carrying a concealed weapon. And the other question is how would this legislation prevent a crazed gunman — who already has no respect for laws against murder — from doing exactly what Loughner did?

Despite the rhetoric of the news conference, all indications are that King’s legislation is not just aimed at illegal guns (that would be redundant). It seems to apply more to “legal” gun owners — those who have permits to carry a concealed weapon, or those who are more inclined to abide by the law.

Reports indicate that at least one such person was at the Tucson Safeway the day Rep. Gabriell Giffords was shot. Joe Zamudio is one of the men who helped subdue Tucson gunman Jared Loughner. Zamudio admitted he was carrying a concealed weapon at the time, and said he was seconds away from using it. Under King’s legislation, however, Zamudio’s gun would have been illegal.

Still, Bloomberg thinks the legislation does not infringe one’s right to keep and bear arms.

“That does not take away the First amendment, it protects it,” he said. “That does not take away the Second amendment, I think it protects it”

King is the same congressman who vowed to hold hearings on radical Islam, and currently chairs the House Homeland Security Committee. He said he expects the president’s support on the bill, which would specifically make it illegal to carry a gun within 1,000 feet of the president, vice president, members of Congress, or judges of the Federal Judiciary.

King isn’t the first legislator to vow more gun legislation. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) said they will soon introduce a measure to ban high-capacity gun clips (defined as more than 10 rounds).

UPDATE:

Initial attempts to contact King’s office for comment and clarification were unsuccessful.

Comments (494)
    Comments Page 2 →

www.theblaze.com

George Orwell was right, but a few years off. 1984 is beginning to unfold here. The truth is fiction and fiction is truth.

Several federal legislators, both democrat and republican, have made public statements to the effect that since they have Concealed Firearm Permits in their home States, they are going to be carrying more often. Under this proposed legislation, we would see a lot of felon lawmakers as they carry within 1000 feet of themselves.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

We have come way to far to start listening to the "King" again.
    The Department of Homeland Security, what a farce.
    Thank God for the fine people of New York that keep this King in office (what are you people thinking?)...
    I got a better idea. Tell this King to stay 1000 feet away from me! Better yet, tell him he is not welcome in the State of Wisconsin. -

I say we put tracking devices on all our lawmakers, local, state, and federal. Then we have a device to show where they are at all times. That should protect them! No one will hurt them at all!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    So, I go to Woodmans in Janesville and do some grocery shopping. Paul Ryan, who lives in Janesville, comes in to do some shopping as well. A couple scenarios. I notice him, do I have to go out to the parking lot and wait for him to leave? If so, what happens when he drives by me? I saw him, I am within 1000' and I am trying really hard to put some distance between us.

How stupid.

Must be time to introduce a bill to keep anti-gun politicians 1000 ft from any firearm!
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Must be time to introduce a bill to keep anti-gun politicians 1000 ft from any firearm!
    THAT'S the ticket!
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Well, many of them seem to do great harm to firearm ownership without being near them, well, excluding their security detail...
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

So what are they going to do? After someone shoots them add a another charge? That will work well as usual The law abiding will disarm a nut will come to kill a important person and we will be sitting ducks. Where do these fools come from.

How about a deal. 1000 feet from an announced location and time period where a pol is making a official public appearance, not including government buildings or other locations currently off limits to firearms.

In exchange: repeal of the gun free school zone law. Its been shown to be inefffective. Also an agreement that no additional firearm control laws will be introduced for a six year period.

No more giving into firearm controls without something in return.

This is not compromise, its reality.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

I don't think this will go anywhere, not now anyway. If the dems were in charge of both houses then yes.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

There are no words, I hope the people of New York see ths sheer stupidity of this man and show him the door.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    How about a deal. 1000 feet from an announced location and time period where a pol is making a official public appearance, not including government buildings or other locations currently off limits to firearms.

In exchange: repeal of the gun free school zone law. Its been shown to be inefffective. Also an agreement that no additional firearm control laws will be introduced for a six year period.

No more giving into firearm controls without something in return.

This is not compromise, its reality.
    This would be unacceptable to me.

This very simple. All of the congress and so forth just need to pass a law, that States NO criminals with ill intent can come within 1000' feet of them at any given time. Simple...

Quote Originally Posted by theoicarry View Post
    This very simple. All of the congress and so forth just need to pass a law, that States NO criminals with ill intent can come within 1000' feet of them at any given time. Simple...
    I think that they are all a lot closer than that to each other when they have their sessions!

It will be just another ineffective law... It will prevent the law abiding from carrying while criminals carry where ever and when ever they want... "Passing a similar law for government officials would give federal, state, and local law enforcement a better chance to intercept would-be shooters before they pull the trigger.".... Come on now, Chances are he has the gun hidden and you arent gonna know its there until he/she starts shooting. These "1000 ft" laws are completely ineffective and only barring the good guys from protecting themselves and others.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    This would be unacceptable to me.
    To quote the script of Kelly's Heroes:

Crapgame: Try making a DEAL!
    Big Joe: What kind of DEAL?
    Crapgame: A DEAL, deal! Maybe he's a Republican. You know, "Business is business."

Last edited by Flipper; 01-12-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Actually I was attempting to be sarcastic with regard to the stupid ideas some of our leaders have. No matter what kind of guns controls are put on those of us whom are honest hard working people, the criminals will always have the weapons. They can try to pass an 1000 foot gap,, those with ill intent are always going to be here, and that is why we need to protect our family, selves and friends if need be, or some old lady whom is being attacked by one of our so called citizens.
    Myself and family have fallen victim to a house invasion, when the two were caught they both had guns and were previously convicted felons. Oh wait, felons are not supposed to be in possession of guns. This happened to us in March of 2005, and I do not plan on letting this happen again. As far as 911, what a joke. 45 minutes to get there.

What a load of cr@p! Once again, dimwitted legislators with nothing better to do with their time, try to justify their existence by suggesting laws that only affect the law abiding. How about a law that forbids flaming liberal sheriffs from handing out leniency like skittles at a Unicorn rally.

This happened because of Sheriff Dopenick's liberal, backscratching ways. Did a favor for mom, add a dolop of liberal coddling and viola, a perfect storm of insanity ensues.

Do not accept compromise or the left will compromise you right out of your guns and knives eventually.

Stand your ground dangit!

I have an idea

It should work for Repubicans and maybe pro A Democrats. Use facebook, twitter, email list everytime that they will be a a public event requesting law abiding citizens who carry to be present to serve as volunteer security. If the theory that OC deters cirme. Several of us at any event should prevent another political assination. They might get a shot off but they should know that they won't get many at all before the curtain closes on them.

I don't think there would ever be a political assignation at a Tea Party event. Every one I have been to has had several people carry.

What do you think?

I would like to see a ban on Legislators being within 1,000 feet of our tax money.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 01-12-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    It should work for Repubicans and maybe pro A Democrats. Use facebook, twitter, email list everytime that they will be a a public event requesting law abiding citizens who carry to be present to serve as volunteer security. If the theory that OC deters cirme. Several of us at any event should prevent another political assination. They might get a shot off but they should know that they won't get many at all before the curtain closes on them.

I don't think there would ever be a political assignation at a Tea Party event. Every one I have been to has had several people carry.

What do you think?
    Nice in theory. But just think about the LEOs trying to sort out good guys and bad guys when there is more than one shooter involved at such an event. What if you miss the BG and hit a LAC that is nearby? What if there are multiple BGs?

I dont get it. Why is it always 1000 ft ??

It hasnt worked for school zones,drug dealers,pedophiles
    and anything else they want to try to control.

So whats the reasoning behind the magic number ?

Whats the love affair with this magic number thats
    supposed to stop all forms of crime??

LR Yote
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 01-12-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    I would like to see a ban on Legislators being within 1,000 feet of our tax money.
    Good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast