• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UK privatization of police farce

TheQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLfghLQE3F4&feature=fvst

A privatization of the police. Enjoy the very end of the video.

"A bit of Fry and Laurie"

I think privatization of the police force may not be completely as shown here. Customers would demand good customer service or they'd take their business elsewhere. We are talking about private, free enterprise, open to competition, right?

Videos like this are created to misinform and create a mockery out of Libertarian ideas and not convey the whole message/idea/solution/proposal, only the bad or ridiculous part of it. Nothing more than humerous propaganda.

Michigander

IMO Privatization of police is not completely a bad idea. I firmly stand behind PMC's.

Seems to me like mercenaries in a war zone and civilian police either public or private is a very different job description.

Personally, I rather like the structure of modern police departments. There is a good command chain of accountability. A department is accountable to the city council, AG's office, mayor and police and fire board. The people can remedy unlawful actions by the police with law suits, complaints to the department and various other entities, and by asking the mayor to fire the chief. If a mayor is in a corrupt chief's pocket, a campaign to unseat the mayor can be launched, attempting to replace him or her with a mayor who clean up the department. Even though flawed, this system is very workable for the greater good by those who take the time to use the system.

PD's already run themselves too much like a closed door private business instead of what they are, organizations of servants hired by and for the people. Any further steps to privatize the criminal justice system are in my opinion dangerous.

Though I will say I agree, mercenaries, and for that matter all types of legal private security forces are a good idea.

Last edited:

TheQ

Personally, I rather like the structure of modern police departments. There is a good command chain of accountability.

Yes, the chain of command, which like Warren, instructs officers to arrest or at the very least ticket or harass anyone seen with a firearm. The city council supports the Police Chief in these stances. The chain of command works so well there, wouldn't you agree?

Michigander

Yes, the chain of command, which like Warren, instructs officers to arrest or at the very least ticket or harass anyone seen with a firearm. The city council supports the Police Chief in these stances. The chain of command works so well there, wouldn't you agree?

Are you offering to help run a mayoral campaign?

NHCGRPR45

Seems to me like mercenaries in a war zone and civilian police either public or private is a very different job description.

Personally, I rather like the structure of modern police departments. There is a good command chain of accountability. A department is accountable to the city council, AG's office, mayor and police and fire board. The people can remedy unlawful actions by the police with law suits, complaints to the department and various other entities, and by asking the mayor to fire the chief. If a mayor is in a corrupt chief's pocket, a campaign to unseat the mayor can be launched, attempting to replace him or her with a mayor who clean up the department. Even though flawed, this system is very workable for the greater good by those who take the time to use the system.

PD's already run themselves too much like a closed door private business instead of what they are, organizations of servants hired by and for the people. Any further steps to privatize the criminal justice system are in my opinion dangerous.

Though I will say I agree, mercenaries, and for that matter all types of legal private security forces are a good idea.

Yes, soldier police may not work every place. But lets face it ALL "civilian" police forces that I know of are of the para-military type. From rank structure to training, TO those who are hired! Very high number of former military. You could conceiveably say that what we have is near PMC type LE enforcement. An, extremely high number of the "elite" LE units SWAT SERT type teams have had at the very least been trained by former elites! who here it comes were or are from "elite" military units. The green berets, detachment "delta" SEALS SAS all train our LE guys in how they do there jobs.

The model of what a PMC is was IMO EO, ex SAS some FFL and a few "others", started a company. And bam the "modern PMC" was started. They were not around very long. Why?? You may ask?? Well its because they were simply to good at what they did and they became the threat. And many of those guys IMO run and operate there own little companies in countries most of us couldn't name and restore order faster, without the civilian casualties that a modern military does.

I'll admit I am biased, but with a leadership focused on being for the "people" I truely believe in some situation less than a hundred high speed soldiers could easily do what several thousand couldn't or couldn't as swiftly accurately or as well.

As a loose analogy you turn a 1000 pound free fall bomb into a tomahawk cruise missle. True both get the job done but you can't re-task that dumb bomb.

Bailenforcer

Interesting how once again so called Libertarian minded people embrace Nazism as a great idea. Their profound ignorance of history again rears it's ugly head.

In Nazi Germany the SS was a private Police force. The key tenants of Fascism is where Government and Corporations merge as one. hell even the Movie Robo Cop tried to point out the error in that thinking, and obviously it failed. Somalia is a good modern day example on what private Police forces become. Now we just call them War Lords. I fear for the fools that Parade around as all knowing trumpeting idiocy as a solution to stupidity, as soon we will loose this country to a feudal system where Private forces will once again tear the fabric of a once great society.

I suggest that once in a while one might remove their faces from gun web sites and learn a little history, maybe try it from an actual book as opposed to some morons opinions on a web forum where the harshest standards are proper political correctness.

NHCGRPR45

Any force for good can easily be turned to evil. So at least with this we agree, but sometimes its worth the risk. In Africa, a goverment was nearly overwhelmed by the very warlords you speak of, a small force of less than 50 people with a budget around 60,000 dollars and 1 old helicopter "fixed" the situation.

In another African nation a warlord to control of a local factory and stationed a force of 50 to 100 personell. 15 men re-took the facillity with no loss of life to the hostages, 1 KIA to the liberators and nearly all BG killed.

Now I am not advocating we throw out the rule book, I am just saying that we need to play by the same rules. Sometimes when the greatest wish the opposeing force has is to die for his cause, then the only way to win is to grant them there wish. A smart bomb really isn't. But I am pretty sure the view through the scope can tell who is/isn't a threat, a lot better than a drone 30+ thousand feet above a combat zone driven by someone who is nicely secure someplace in america. When war becomes a video game, what you see isn't what you get.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Jesus, I just thought it was funny, and I loved the end. Seems the US is not alone when it comes to police roughing up a citizen. Have any of you even watched the video?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I think privatization of the police force may not be completely as shown here. Customers would demand good customer service or they'd take their business elsewhere. We are talking about private, free enterprise, open to competition, right?

Videos like this are created to misinform and create a mockery out of Libertarian ideas and not convey the whole message/idea/solution/proposal, only the bad or ridiculous part of it. Nothing more than humerous propaganda.

It was satire, lighten up Francis.

Dreamer

Technically, since all law enforcement in the UK are "crown services", they already ARE a "privatized" police force. The Queen owns England. She owns the treasury. All police ultimately answer to her, and are ultimately in service at the whim of the Crown.

One person controlling the policy, personnel and payroll of LE--sounds "private" to me.

Anyone who says the Queen of England is "merely a figurehead" has never looked into her portfolio, or actually READ British Statutes. It's all right there in black and white. Parliament is just "bread and circuses" to keep the rabble from pulling another "Guy Fawkes"...

NHCGRPR45

Technically, since all law enforcement in the UK are "crown services", they already ARE a "privatized" police force. The Queen owns England. She owns the treasury. All police ultimately answer to her, and are ultimately in service at the whim of the Crown.

One person controlling the policy, personnel and payroll of LE--sounds "private" to me.

Anyone who says the Queen of England is "merely a figurehead" has never looked into her portfolio, or actually READ British Statutes. It's all right there in black and white. Parliament is just "bread and circuses" to keep the rabble from pulling another "Guy Fawkes"...

Great point! BAM they are already private! So IMO you could say that all english "citizens" are actually all "serfs"? and "peasants"?? Man I bet they feel repressed! Anyone watch Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail lately??:rolleyes:

Jack-w-1911

To those of you that like the idea of privatizing law enforcement and or correction facilities. Just think of what will happen in our modern era of corruption.

Privatizing law makes as much sense as allowing law enforcement to sell confiscated firearms as well as any other confiscated item. There's just too much incentive to do the wrong thing.

palerider116

Privatizing the police force would result in more arrests and more tickets being issued to the citizenry in an attempt to justify that company's contract for police services. The American system is not without flaw, but it does allow redress of grievances for civil rights violations, corruption, and other abuses. A private entity will try to justify their existence, and their eyes will be on the bottom line for profit.

The states and local governments should retain the majority of police powers and the federal government should be more restricted in its LE scope. The state and local governments have a closer connection to the citizenry and accountability is easier to achieve at those levels.

We can study private police forces and their effectiveness through various university/campus police departments, and certain airport police departments. Some are effective, and then some are very hands off because of the risk of upsetting those with deep pockets. A PD should be accountable to the citizens, and should never be a for profit industry.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

I have noticed that private companies rarely claim "sovereign immunity". Although I suppose they might; it would make no less sense than the government doing so.

But the point remains that accountability to the chain of command has become worthless, and there is little to no liability for any of the "services" government provides, from ineffectual and murderous police farces to the TSA with their carcinogenic false-security bureaucratic-self-justification machines... erm... body scanners.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Privatizing the police force would result in more arrests and more tickets being issued to the citizenry in an attempt to justify that company's contract for police services. The American system is not without flaw, but it does allow redress of grievances for civil rights violations, corruption, and other abuses. A private entity will try to justify their existence, and their eyes will be on the bottom line for profit.

Public police forces would (do) result in more arrests (for victimless crimes) and more tickets being issued to the citizenry in an attempt to justify their jobs and fill their coffers to pay for overtime and bonuses. The private system is not without flaws, but it does allow the redress of grievances through liability, which may not be shirked as routinely done by government at all levels. A bureaucratic entity will try to justify their existence, and their eyes will be on the bottom line to pay their salaries and buy new toys with which to torture, murder, and kidnap us, since they act without liability and concomitantly with impunity.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

Well maybe i should have clarified when something like this should be used. Like instead of US forces training local police let a private company do it. We could pull out troops sooner and get the PMC's to patrol and do LE type duties. It could even potentially cost less. This PMC law enforcement wouldn't be needed in most countries. Also in disaster type situation private companies can respond far quicker the federal agencies as we saw in Katrina and other natural disasters. Some private companies were in place within hours of being requested, and beat the FEMA personell by days.