• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police: Settlement won't change police response to reports of weapons

protias

http://www.brookfieldnow.com/news/113281074.html

The city of Brookfield will pay $7,500 to settle a federal lawsuit filed by a Milwaukee woman who was arrested for carrying a holstered handgun to a church service in July, but that doesn't mean the Police Department will change its policies about responding to similar reports.
Brookfield Police Capt. Phil Horter said the lawsuit won't change protocol for officers responding to reports of armed individuals - but he urges residents to provide as much information as possible when reporting these cases so officers can temper their responses.
"Is it somebody who has a handgun in a holster, or someone who has it in their hand? There's a big difference," he said. "The open-carry response is going to be less than that of a man with a gun. But if we don't get proper information, we will respond with force more similar to a man with a gun."

click the link for rest of article

So looks like they'll still respond to anyone carrying. Make sure to carry a recorder while in Brookfield!

protias

I see dollar signs $$$
Really? I see a city that is willing to infringe upon people's right to bear arms. They seem to forget "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose." ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Somebody just needs to tell the residents these things are different:
  • Man carrying gun in holster
  • Man threatening with gun
  • Man shooting gun at people
It really is that simple. Apparently, the chief is incapable of 1) telling people there is a difference, and 2) telling his dispatchers to ask

Kelevra

Somebody just needs to tell the residents these things are different:
  • Man carrying gun in holster
  • Man threatening with gun
  • Man shooting gun at people
It really is that simple. Apparently, the chief is incapable of 1) telling people there is a difference, and 2) telling his dispatchers to ask

Good idea. The problem is not one of education but rather ego and arrogance. This would have all gone away if the award had been $75000 or $750000.

M

McX

it's funny, the article sounds like the police are begging the public to be more accurate and correct in their reporting, so they can be more accurate and correct in their responses.

paul@paul-fisher.com

it's funny, the article sounds like the police are begging the public to be more accurate and correct in their reporting, so they can be more accurate and correct in their responses.

That sounds almost reasonable. However, they need to train their dispatchers to ask the correct questions:

911 what is your emergency
well... there's a guy with a gun
Is the gun in a holster or in his hand?
in a holster
is the man yelling or physically threatening anyone?
No

One of 2 scenarios:

OK. Well send an officer by to have a look (dispatch to officer) - mwag, most likely an OC'er

officer drives by, see nothing amiss and goes on his way.

Or

dispatcher tells caller, it is legal, call back if he does something threatening.

Obviously if 'brandishing' or discharge or other violence/threats occur, dispatch occurs.

No matter what, when/if officer arrives, assesses situation and responds appropriately, which could mean no contact.

MKEgal

"he urges residents to provide as much information as possible when reporting these cases so officers can temper their responses"
HA.
Sounds like he's trying to get the public to think that their over-reaction in my case was due to the people making the call.

Those of you who've listened to the call know that the calltaker, dispatcher, & responding officers had all the information they needed to know I wasn't doing anything wrong, yet they did the wrong thing anyway.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz3KCf2l9QI

I agree with Pauls scenario - either the dispatcher tells the caller it's not an issue & stop tying up the emergency system, or they do a drive-by & see there's no problem & keep on driving.
For liability, I think the second reaction is more probable.
But I really like how Delavan handled it!

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

At least now I know how to get the money for the Dana 60 air locker
axles and lift kit I want for the Jeep.

Just take a walk in Brookfield. :monkey

LR Yote

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I agree with Pauls' scenario - either the dispatcher tells the caller it's not an issue & stop tying up the emergency system, or they do a drive-by & see there's no problem & keep on driving.
For liability, I think the second reaction is more probable.
But I really like how Delavan handled it!

Where does this come from? I've heard this quite a few times before and I believe it's a misconception that the police are in anyway liable for NOT responding to something. Is there a statute I'm missing?

They didn't respond to the poor women in Warren v. D.C. who were repeatedly raped and beaten. The courts didn't find them liable as they have no duty to protect us.

I think this comes from the cops themselves trying to say that's the reason they must harass OC'ers however; I don't think there is any liability there for failure to respond; only screwing up while responding.

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

I spent a half hour cuffed,because Cudahy cant distinguish a LAC from a
BG even when they had a description of the BG.:banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

The more ANY LEO leaves me alone, The happier I feel.

LR Yote

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I spent a half hour cuffed,because Cudahy cant distinguish a LAC from a
BG even when they had a description of the BG.:banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

The more ANY LEO leaves me alone, The happier I feel.

LR Yote

How were you dressed today ? Were you wearing a tacticool drop leg thigh holster ? Camo Pants ?
sometimes it helps to look like you could be a cop. Nice clothes, flat top hair cut, clean shaven. The key to not dealing with cops is to blend.

Not saying you did anything wrong, but I have yet to have any type of a run in with LEO. because I look like I could be one. 6'6" 290, Military style hair cut, etc.

Last edited:

oak1971

How were you dressed today ? Were you wearing a tacticool drop leg thigh holster ? Camo Pants ?
sometimes it helps to look like you could be a cop. Nice clothes, flat top hair cut, clean shaven. The key to not dealing with cops is to blend.

Not saying you did anything wrong, but I have yet to have any type of a run in with LEO. because I look like I could be one. 6'6" 290, Military style hair cut, etc.

I don't look like a cop, never seems to get me any undue attention.