• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Anti's Are Using The Opinion Pages

johnny amish

In the wake of the shooting in AZ the anti's are starting to get letters printed in the local papers opinion page. This might be a good time for all of us to write a letter to our papers editor and voice our opinions. I know the antis will never understand that the laws only affect the law abiding but if we can get others to start thinking in that direction all the better. With ccw just arround the corner making people aware might be a good thing. Lets use every available option to spread our message. It would be cool for papers all arround the state to be printing our thoughts and opinions daily.

CalicoJack10

I have tried sending stuff to the Opinion Pages, at one point as an employee of the Journal/Sentenal, and they don't want to hear about what people like us have to say. Fear sells papers. Reality closes businesses.

Canard

Geeze. What a bunch of nay-sayers! Chatting up this site does very little but allow you to discuss the topic with LIKEMINDED folks. When you get the word out to the general public you have a chance to reach many people who are either indifferent or on the fence about the topic. The more they see about the topic the more it become "normal".

No one reads newspapers anymore, that's why they're all going belly up.
Well, if nobody read that paper at all how would they even be able to print it. Someone reads it and it is more than likely older folk who probably support the cause and don't realize we need their help.

The Green Bay paper is nothing but a Liberal rag anyways, read only by Liberal Dems...let them write letters to them selves.

You're right they're almost all liberal rags but it's not just liberals that read them. How many post do you see on this site from liberal papers. Huh, looks like the non-dems read them too an when all folks see is anti gun rhetoric they think that's all there is and just fall in line. I think Johnny Amish is right. We need more 2A rhetoric!

Thanks JA

rcav8r

There was a whole raft of anti-gun letters in yesterdays Wisconsin State Journal. The WSJ has been trending left the last few years, so no surprise. The letter from the ex-military (I won't say vet) who bragged about earning the marksman badge and thought the 2nd Amendment should be changed is a douchebag though. He obviously was not in any combat associated position, if he though "marksman" was something special.

anmut

+1 to Johnny Amish. Yes most are liberal rags and yes most probably won't print pro-gun letters, but that's no reason to completely dismiss them.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
Several opinion letters I've written have been published in my local "newspaper" the Rapid City Journal, including one in response to the Ft. Hood shooting. The links are located in posts in the SD forum...

johnny amish

To date I have had 7 letters printed in the LaCrosse tribune and the trib. is as left as all of them. Sent another one out yesterday. If we don't start using every resource available to us we don't stand a chance, the anti's wont let up and we shouldn't either. Every letter won't be printed but everyone that does helps energize like minded people to do the same as us. We need to step out of our comfort zone and push hard. If we don't bring our message to the public then I have to wonder who will?

johnny amish

Well the trib printed my letter, even though they lean left.
This article started several conversations at work today that would not have otherwise happened. All good. The comments on the article also suggests as Canard pointed out that conservative pro-gunners read the paper and are willing to engage the anti's. If we want to win this debate with the anti's we have to be willing to engage them every chance we can.

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/opinion/mailbag/article_3575db58-1ea3-11e0-be06-001cc4c03286.html

Last edited: