Thread: Situational awareness, allergies and other maladies for the common man

Angry Situational awareness, allergies and other maladies for the common man

So for the past couple of months my ear has been plugged up like its full of concrete and I couldn't hear a hand grenade going off in it, although its been tempting to see if that wouldn't help me clear it out.

Its been pretty taxing, being out in public, deaf as a fence post in one side. Feels like I'm almost stoned, disconnected or something. Paying attention to everything is tough as hell, nothing sounds right, muffled, and almost misdirected. Head whips around so much trying to keep a grip on everything I might need to see a chiropractor, and have brought "keeping your head on a swivel" to a new level.

Curious, as to what y'all have done, or do when you find yourself in a bad way like this. Not a fan of antihistamines for correction, as they seem to dilute the senses even worse, and too long term to just hang out and wait.

As far as antihistamines go, Zyrtec isn't bad since it doesn't make you drowsy like some others will. Could just be me though.

If Zyrtec works, Costco sells a generic branded one for super cheap called Aller-tec.

might give that a shot.
    and
    How awesome is it that the google adds thingy knows I need allergy help...................wheres my tinfoil hat?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Have you tried a netti pot, with a few nasal drops in it?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Zyrtec + pseudoephedrine. Don't bother with the phenylephrine, it doesn't work.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

All allergy medications are a crap shoot. Just try one at a time and see if it works for YOU. Allergy meds affect different people in different ways. All you can do is to try them out Now, take 2 aspirin and send me $56.87 for the advice!

During the summer months I will take Zyrtec 3-4 times a day (you can take up to five, from what my allergist told me). I also take Singulair, and suck on an inhaler from time to time throughout the day. The other eight months of the year I have allergies, but not as bad as the spring and summer months.

These are my issues:

Tough time breathing some days
    Extreme fatigue
    Tough time seeing, watery, itchy eyes
    Ears plugged, big time!

My allergies have been bugging me lately because I am in a house with a couple of animals, 2 dogs and 1 cat.

I was at wally-world the other day, checking out the current Guns & Ammo magazine, typically I am pretty aware of my surroundings, stood up, and there was a man standing directly behind me...I normally would have heard or seen something out the corner of my eye, but allergies!

I tried that nose cleansing stuff, got ear infections from it, and sinus inflammation from it. I tried nasal sprays of all sorts, some of the are addicting, and others make me hyper, while others give me the shakes real bad.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 01-12-2011 at 03:01 AM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

When all my grandkids are here at the house, deafness would be a blessing. Even if only in one ear.

Seriously, I used to fly a lot. Had this happen to me on a regular basis. I found Actifed or one of the knock offs to be very helpful. Pseudophedrine, the active ingredient, is a "Behind the Counter" med but works better than the "shelf type" substitutes.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Ear

Seriously man, if this has been going on that long you could have an inner ear infection. I'd go see a doctor. Just because it doesn't hurt and you dont have a fever doesnt mean there isnt a problem. Left untreated it could permanently damage your hearing.

Just my 2 cents...

-Scott

Eat hot chilli peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    Eat hot chilli peppers.
    Or fresh ground Horseradish!!!!!
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

?
    Last edited by oldbanger; 01-12-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Or fresh ground Horseradish!!!!!
    When I was a kid, my Dad used to make me grind horseradish on the downwind side as a punishment for my misbehavior.
    Last edited by Trigger Dr; 01-12-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Oldbanger-

This one doesn't need electricity:

Quote Originally Posted by holeinhead View Post
    As far as antihistamines go, Zyrtec isn't bad since it doesn't make you drowsy like some others will. Could just be me though.

If Zyrtec works, Costco sells a generic branded one for super cheap called Aller-tec.
    I have taken Zyrtec or its generic form almost religiously for the past five years and it is usually very helpful. This past summer, however, it seemed to be less effective, so I began taking a newer prescription allergy medicine that is akin to Zyrtec, called Xyzal.

I would caution anybody on a trial of Xyzal against doing anything other than sitting your butt down for the first few days you are on this medication. It can have a significant affect on your cognitive processing.

I, too have had allergy issues. Zyrtec is good, Claritin's not bad, but they're both much better at clearing out stuffed sinuses when used in combination with pseudoephedrine. Whenever I get a cold, I take benadryl and sudafed together, and I can breath free as you please.

Just make sure you drink plenty of water - taking both together can dry out your sinuses and lead to sinus infections.

Well, if you're in Tacoma, I'd be willing to embalm that ear for you...

I'm kidding. But in all seriousness, you're asking a bunch of gun internet forum people for medical advice....

CALL A DOCTOR.

When shopping for Sudafed (Psudaephedrine) you will have to get assistance from someone who works at the store. You will need to sign your name in a book and the info will be given to the DEA. If you buy too much you can be charged with a crime.

Dont be fooled by the Sudafed branded boxes on the shelf, it is not Psudaephedrine, it is Phenylephrine and as Tawnos said it is complete crap.

Yet another absurd interpretation of the "commerce clause" hard at work to destroy our liberty.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

I have been a EMT for six years and counting not only do I see a lot of this in the field but I also have chronic allergies myself and suffer from what your describing off and on through out the year. Unfortunately what your describing could be a number of things. If its been going on this long and to this degree number one I would recommend going in to your doctor to rule out a ear infection. If your balance is off this is a good indication of a inner ear infection that wont go away without antibiotics. Ear infections can be much more serious than most people realize and can even cause permanent damage if not treated.

It could also be something as simple as a simple allergy ranging from anything from using a new laundry soap to having developed a new food allergy. Allergy tests may be necessary to pin point the problem and help prescribe to proper medicine to combat your specific allergen. Over the counter allergy pills may or may not help but worth a try. Personally I highly recommended a neti pot I use one twice a day to help keep my head clear of my allergies. Its not a cure all but it defiantly helps. I recommend using the squeeze bottle model its more uncomfortable and takes longer to get use to than the tea pot model but it creates more pressure and dose a much better job of cleaning your nose out.

You could also have a sinus infection witch once again wont go away on its own and you will have to take antibiotics to feel better and correct the problem. Regardless of the cause of the problem you may also find some relief with other over the counter medicine such as mucinex or sudafed but be careful as they both can cause a rapid heart rate and increased blood pressure, along with some other problems. The best advise I can give you is go talk to your doctor they can at least point you in the right directions. And LOTS of water and drink minimal beer/alcohol. The more water you drink the better chance your body will have of flushing what ever it is out.
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Dr. is probably the best but...I too have allergies and recently my left ear was plugged up. I thought it would go away but after about 2 weeks and it didn't get better I started to flush my ear with hydrogen peroxide (3%) and warm water. I flushed it out 2-3x a day for 3 days and my ear recovered and has been fine since.
    Last edited by Nosrac; 01-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosrac View Post
    Dr. is probably the best but...I too have allergies and recently my left ear was plugged up. I thought it would go away but after about 2 weeks and it didn't get better I started to flush my ear with hydrogen peroxide (3%) and warm water. I flushed it out 2-3x a day for 3 days and my ear recovered and has been fine since.
    Another simple home remedy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_candling

I've seen this done....it warms excessive ear wax and draws it out.....about a quarter pound....cleared up the hearing issue on the person.

These are a couple of home remedies worth trying, but you really need to go to a doctor. If you don't have one, Doc in a Box visits are pretty inexpensive....like other suggestions here, if you don't have wax on the outside of the drum, you likely have an ear infection, water build up on the inside or a sinus infection....that only a course of anti's (biotics) can cure.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Yada,yada,yada. Go see a doctor. The time for home remedies would have been a couple of months ago.

Had a similar thing happen. My doctor blasted the acretion out with a Water Pik.

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Another simple home remedy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_candling

I've seen this done....it warms excessive ear wax and draws it out.....about a quarter pound....cleared up the hearing issue on the person.

These are a couple of home remedies worth trying, but you really need to go to a doctor. If you don't have one, Doc in a Box visits are pretty inexpensive....like other suggestions here, if you don't have wax on the outside of the drum, you likely have an ear infection, water build up on the inside or a sinus infection....that only a course of anti's (biotics) can cure.
    Don't fall for the ear candling BS, there are many better ways to do it, including the simple "warm water in a snifter". Ear candling does not draw wax out of the ear, and can cause candle wax to fall inside the ear! The wax in the candle is that *from* the candle. If you ahve a quarter pound of wax in your head, you have much bigger problems than believing quack medicine
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by G20-IWB24/7 View Post
    But in all seriousness, you're asking a bunch of gun internet forum people for medical advice....

CALL A DOCTOR.
    Wow, should have made my question more clear and so I apologize for that part. Also for not getting back in here soon enough to square that away.

Was more curious about how y'all deal with a lack of sensory perception, so to speak, when allergies and what not put you in that position.

I would however be willing to undergo that embalming procedure, if you think it would help................... It clears itslef a coule of times a day when I'm lucky.

Not that I didn't appreciate the advice, though. (It's not a tumor)
    Last edited by Sparky508; 01-13-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: to add:

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Bramage View Post

Had a similar thing happen. My doctor blasted the acretion out with a Water Pik.

Kind of like an enema for the ear