• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Situational awareness, allergies and other maladies for the common man

Sparky508

So for the past couple of months my ear has been plugged up like its full of concrete and I couldn't hear a hand grenade going off in it, although its been tempting to see if that wouldn't help me clear it out.

Its been pretty taxing, being out in public, deaf as a fence post in one side. Feels like I'm almost stoned, disconnected or something. Paying attention to everything is tough as hell, nothing sounds right, muffled, and almost misdirected. Head whips around so much trying to keep a grip on everything I might need to see a chiropractor, and have brought "keeping your head on a swivel" to a new level.

Curious, as to what y'all have done, or do when you find yourself in a bad way like this. Not a fan of antihistamines for correction, as they seem to dilute the senses even worse, and too long term to just hang out and wait.

holeinhead

As far as antihistamines go, Zyrtec isn't bad since it doesn't make you drowsy like some others will. Could just be me though.

If Zyrtec works, Costco sells a generic branded one for super cheap called Aller-tec.

Sparky508

might give that a shot.
and
How awesome is it that the google adds thingy knows I need allergy help...................wheres my tinfoil hat?

Squeak

All allergy medications are a crap shoot. Just try one at a time and see if it works for YOU. Allergy meds affect different people in different ways. All you can do is to try them out Now, take 2 aspirin and send me $56.87 for the advice!:banana:

Beretta92FSLady

During the summer months I will take Zyrtec 3-4 times a day (you can take up to five, from what my allergist told me). I also take Singulair, and suck on an inhaler from time to time throughout the day. The other eight months of the year I have allergies, but not as bad as the spring and summer months.

These are my issues:

Tough time breathing some days
Extreme fatigue
Tough time seeing, watery, itchy eyes
Ears plugged, big time!

My allergies have been bugging me lately because I am in a house with a couple of animals, 2 dogs and 1 cat.

I was at wally-world the other day, checking out the current Guns & Ammo magazine, typically I am pretty aware of my surroundings, stood up, and there was a man standing directly behind me...I normally would have heard or seen something out the corner of my eye, but allergies!

I tried that nose cleansing stuff, got ear infections from it, and sinus inflammation from it. I tried nasal sprays of all sorts, some of the are addicting, and others make me hyper, while others give me the shakes real bad.

Good luck!:p

Last edited:

amlevin

When all my grandkids are here at the house, deafness would be a blessing. Even if only in one ear.

Seriously, I used to fly a lot. Had this happen to me on a regular basis. I found Actifed or one of the knock offs to be very helpful. Pseudophedrine, the active ingredient, is a "Behind the Counter" med but works better than the "shelf type" substitutes.

ScottyDog

Ear

Seriously man, if this has been going on that long you could have an inner ear infection. I'd go see a doctor. Just because it doesn't hurt and you dont have a fever doesnt mean there isnt a problem. Left untreated it could permanently damage your hearing.

Just my 2 cents...

-Scott

oldbanger

dremel.jpg
? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cbpeck

As far as antihistamines go, Zyrtec isn't bad since it doesn't make you drowsy like some others will. Could just be me though.

If Zyrtec works, Costco sells a generic branded one for super cheap called Aller-tec.

I have taken Zyrtec or its generic form almost religiously for the past five years and it is usually very helpful. This past summer, however, it seemed to be less effective, so I began taking a newer prescription allergy medicine that is akin to Zyrtec, called Xyzal.

I would caution anybody on a trial of Xyzal against doing anything other than sitting your butt down for the first few days you are on this medication. It can have a significant affect on your cognitive processing.

antispam540

I, too have had allergy issues. Zyrtec is good, Claritin's not bad, but they're both much better at clearing out stuffed sinuses when used in combination with pseudoephedrine. Whenever I get a cold, I take benadryl and sudafed together, and I can breath free as you please.

Just make sure you drink plenty of water - taking both together can dry out your sinuses and lead to sinus infections.

G20-IWB24/7

Well, if you're in Tacoma, I'd be willing to embalm that ear for you...

I'm kidding. But in all seriousness, you're asking a bunch of gun internet forum people for medical advice....

CALL A DOCTOR.

END_THE_FED

When shopping for Sudafed (Psudaephedrine) you will have to get assistance from someone who works at the store. You will need to sign your name in a book and the info will be given to the DEA. If you buy too much you can be charged with a crime.

Dont be fooled by the Sudafed branded boxes on the shelf, it is not Psudaephedrine, it is Phenylephrine and as Tawnos said it is complete crap.

Yet another absurd interpretation of the "commerce clause" hard at work to destroy our liberty.
:banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss:

fire suppressor

I have been a EMT for six years and counting not only do I see a lot of this in the field but I also have chronic allergies myself and suffer from what your describing off and on through out the year. Unfortunately what your describing could be a number of things. If its been going on this long and to this degree number one I would recommend going in to your doctor to rule out a ear infection. If your balance is off this is a good indication of a inner ear infection that wont go away without antibiotics. Ear infections can be much more serious than most people realize and can even cause permanent damage if not treated.

It could also be something as simple as a simple allergy ranging from anything from using a new laundry soap to having developed a new food allergy. Allergy tests may be necessary to pin point the problem and help prescribe to proper medicine to combat your specific allergen. Over the counter allergy pills may or may not help but worth a try. Personally I highly recommended a neti pot I use one twice a day to help keep my head clear of my allergies. Its not a cure all but it defiantly helps. I recommend using the squeeze bottle model its more uncomfortable and takes longer to get use to than the tea pot model but it creates more pressure and dose a much better job of cleaning your nose out.

You could also have a sinus infection witch once again wont go away on its own and you will have to take antibiotics to feel better and correct the problem. Regardless of the cause of the problem you may also find some relief with other over the counter medicine such as mucinex or sudafed but be careful as they both can cause a rapid heart rate and increased blood pressure, along with some other problems. The best advise I can give you is go talk to your doctor they can at least point you in the right directions. And LOTS of water and drink minimal beer/alcohol. The more water you drink the better chance your body will have of flushing what ever it is out.

Nosrac

Dr. is probably the best but...I too have allergies and recently my left ear was plugged up. I thought it would go away but after about 2 weeks and it didn't get better I started to flush my ear with hydrogen peroxide (3%) and warm water. I flushed it out 2-3x a day for 3 days and my ear recovered and has been fine since.

Last edited: