• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hit this poll--Should Guns be BANNED in the General Assembly Building??

45acpForMe

Actually the question is whether they should be banned

Should Virginia lawmakers ban firearms in the Capitol and General Assembly Building?

Yes 21% (7 votes)
No 73% (24 votes)
Not sure 6% (2 votes)

Total votes: 33

t33j

I mean to say thankfully our state and federal governments are not democracies... not the online pole. :)

coondog22554

Should Virginia lawmakers ban firearms in the Capitol and General Assembly Building?

Yes
32% (106 votes)

No
66% (215 votes)

Not sure
2% (7 votes)

Total votes: 328

celticredneck

This poll is yet another example of phrasing a question to get an answer you want, especially in light of the original posters, "should guns be allowed in the general assembly building"? I dang near voted yes until I read the question closer.

GLW

Sorry for the misleading post title. I was in a hurry, and wrote the post title from memory, flawed as it was. Sorry.
[FIXED BY MODERATOR]

Glenn

taurusfan

I visited the Pennsylvania State Capitol building in the fall and they had a big sign at the door that there was a security screening ahead and weapons were not allowed which of course meant yours truly was not taking picture inside :)

What is the gun toting policy at the VA capitol? Do they want you to have a concealed carry permit? I went in there once just after the remodeling and because I had my VCU employee ID on they waved me around the metal detector but I was unarmed anyway.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I visited the Pennsylvania State Capitol building in the fall and they had a big sign at the door that there was a security screening ahead and weapons were not allowed which of course meant yours truly was not taking picture inside :)

What is the gun toting policy at the VA capitol? Do they want you to have a concealed carry permit? I went in there once just after the remodeling and because I had my VCU employee ID on they waved me around the metal detector but I was unarmed anyway.

You need a CHP to take it in the GA building. Can't take it in the the Building McDonnell and the Sec of the Comm at all and I think you need a CHP in the Capital building but I'm not certain about that.

OC or CC is fine outside on the grounds.

TxSwampRat

On the question should VA lawmakers ban firearms from the Capital and GA? As of 9:40pm:
Yea 34% (446)
Nay 64% (843)
Clueless 2% (22)
1311 votes ttl

Doesn't look like the events of AZ had any real impact much to the distress of some out there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
On the question should VA lawmakers ban firearms from the Capital and GA? As of 9:40pm:
Yea 34% (446)
Nay 64% (843)
Clueless 2% (22)
1311 votes ttl

Doesn't look like the events of AZ had any real impact much to the distress of some out there.

It's a little sad Swamprat. The event in Az. was tragic, but because of the immediate gun grabbing tactics, many of us immediately get ready for a fight instead of extending our prayers to the victims and their families.

It's the same with Va. Tech.

Instead of trying to console people like Lori Haas, who aside from her rabid anti gun campaign, is an enjoyable person to be around, I treat her like a plague carrier.

MSC 45ACP

Lori Haas, who aside from her rabid anti gun campaign, is an enjoyable person to be around, I treat her like a plague carrier.

She is an attractive woman... all the way up until she opens her mouth and spews her silly communist rhetoric. She stood in front of me, blocking my view while I was sitting in my chair last year. Nice view until she overheard me say to Bridget (my daughter) that someone would make a better door than a window.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
She is an attractive woman... all the way up until she opens her mouth and spews her silly communist rhetoric. She stood in front of me, blocking my view while I was sitting in my chair last year. Nice view until she overheard me say to Bridget (my daughter) that someone would make a better door than a window.

I know. Remember, I was the one that was picking on her for, and taking pictures of her standing her tripod in front of you.
She'll be there Monday with her Canon I'm sure.

I'm not sure attractive is what I'd call her, but she can be pleasant unless you're talking guns.

Last edited:

TxSwampRat

It's a little sad Swamprat. The event in Az. was tragic, but because of the immediate gun grabbing tactics, many of us immediately get ready for a fight instead of extending our prayers to the victims and their families.

It's the same with Va. Tech.

Instead of trying to console people like Lori Haas, who aside from her rabid anti gun campaign, is an enjoyable person to be around, I treat her like a plague carrier.

Agreed. I watched this event unfold and the first things that came out were the charges made about "political dialogue" and personalities w/in 2 hrs on CNN and before the afternoon had ended calls for "gun control". And you are correct in that many did gird for a fight straightaway and that is truly sad that that is now a natural response. We do remember the fallen and injured and know that there is evil and insanity in the world. That is why we do what we are doing now. We pray for the victim but stand for them also in our own way and work to prevent others from falling prey by defending our right to defend ourselves and for others the same right. That right must extend to all of Virginia including the Capital and GA.