• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pete King to Introduce Gun Safety Bill (no guns within 1000 ft of govt officials)

yankees98a

Rep. Peter King said Tuesday he plans to introduce a new gun safety bill in Congress in the wake of the mass shooting in Arizona that killed six people and wounded 14 others, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz.

King said his bill would make it illegal to knowingly carry a gun within a thousand feet of "certain high-profile" government officials.

"It is imperative that we do all that we can to give law enforcement the tools they need to ensure the safety of New Yorkers and prevent an attack before it happens," King said during an appearance at a Manhattan event with Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other officials from New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania who discussed ways to prevent another shooting tragedy.

Jared Loughner, 22, has been charged with trying to assassinate Giffords and is facing life in prison or the death penalty. The shooting rampage has altered the political landscape and prompted lawmakers to consider additional layers of security when meeting with constituents.

A spokesman for King told FoxNews.com that the office is still working on the substance of the bill. King decided to introduce the bill "to give the public a greater sense of security at public events with federal officials," the spokesman said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ce-gun-safety-arizona-shooting/#ixzz1AmjtGqjW

Thundar

Rep. Peter King said Tuesday he plans to introduce a new gun safety bill in Congress in the wake of the mass shooting in Arizona that killed six people and wounded 14 others, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz.

King said his bill would make it illegal to knowingly carry a gun within a thousand feet of "certain high-profile" government officials.

Finish this quote:

We must take the guns from the people to make the streets safe.....

AFPVet

I guess they have figured it out.... If they make it illegal to to something, criminals won't carry out their objectives. If this law was in place, it most definitely would have prevented this attack :rolleyes:

Lord Sega

I agree with this...

... because once this 1000' gun free mobile safety zone around our leaders is in place they can do without their current security guards / secret service, expensive bullet-proof limos, and other barriers that keep them from interacting up close and personal with their constituency. This will save hundreds of thousands of tax dollars each year.

... because we all know psychopaths and/or criminals would follow that law to the letter.

/sarcasm :banghead:

4armed Architect

I wouldn't want to be a Fed. Official covered by this law if it passed. Imagine walking around in a Defense Free Zone ALL THE TIME. Doesn't he realize that the bad guys go looking for these kinds of places (Gun Free Zones) to ply their trade? For criminals, it is much safer to shoot where there is really good bet that no one will be armed to shoot back. It's bad enough that they are defenseless targets as often as they are in DC.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Rep Pete King is a mindless jerk. What a freaking moron. A class-A political jerk. Sheesh.

He needs to grow a brain. Seriously. Dang. Can any politician ever get any more stupid? Dang. Really. I think perhaps not. What an...

Am I making myself clear, here? Is there ANYone in the entire US of A who would believe otherwise? I don't think so!

Sheesh.

Let's move on.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Of course, they don't claim this bill will actually make things any safer, you'll only feel safer.

A spokesman for King told FoxNews.com that the office is still working on the substance of the bill. King decided to introduce the bill to give the public a greater sense of security at public events with federal officials," the spokesman said.

Sorry, it doesn't make me feel safer.

billv

First it's a 1000 feet. Then 2000 feet. Then what the h*ll, let's make it 1 mile. Then 10 miles. then 1000 miles. That's one way to outlaw guns without outlawing them.

But King missed the point. He shouldn't ban guns, as others have said, that works only for honest people. They should ban mentally ill people with 1000'.

/sarcasm/ but then Congress couldn't meet since they are all crazy in there. /no sarcasm/

TechnoWeenie

"It is imperative that we do all that we can to give law enforcement the tools they need to ensure the safety of New Yorkers and prevent an attack before it happens," King said during an appearance at a Manhattan event with Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other officials from New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania who discussed ways to prevent another shooting tragedy.

Jared Loughner, 22, has been charged with trying to assassinate Giffords and is facing life in prison or the death penalty. The shooting rampage has altered the political landscape and prompted lawmakers to consider additional layers of security when meeting with constituents.

A spokesman for King told FoxNews.com that the office is still working on the substance of the bill. King decided to introduce the bill "to give the public a greater sense of security at public events with federal officials," the spokesman said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ce-gun-safety-arizona-shooting/#ixzz1AmjtGqjW

So he wants to codify the unconstitutional segregation of society into different classes.

Does he realize that, by the mere enacting of such a law, he's likely to trigger such an event upon himself?

So, as long as I use a rifle from 1001' away I can only be charged with murder, instead of murder AND having a firearm within 1000' of a 'high level government official'...

1000' is 333 yards...

F'in retards....

Flintlock

Since the House now has to attach a reference of Constitutional authority to any bill, I am curious to see which Article they would grossly mis-interpret to help hone in on their anti-second amendment and anti-freedom agenda.

Nevada carrier

So he wants to codify the unconstitutional segregation of society into different classes.

Does he realize that, by the mere enacting of such a law, he's likely to trigger such an event upon himself?

So, as long as I use a rifle from 1001' away I can only be charged with murder, instead of murder AND having a firearm within 1000' of a 'high level government official'...

1000' is 333 yards...

F'in retards....

Anyone with any basic rifle marksmanship skills can hit a target at that distance with only iron sights. The problem in the Tucson shooting was that enough red flags were raised that should have gotten this guy on the prohibited persons list but they failed.

The Donkey

Daily Show: Ban the Bans

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-12-2011/battle-of-the-bans?xrs=eml_tds

bounce.gif