• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boston Blog erm Globe

Kloutier

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e.../one_simple_response_ban_extended_ammo_clips/ <--- think they meant Mags.

Comments Page http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e..._extended_ammo_clips/?comments=all#readerComm

THERE IS one inarguable fact to come out of the deadly rampage in Arizona: The extended ammunition clip (<--- think they meant Mags.) that the attacker used to shoot 20 people wouldn’t have been legal in 2004.

And there is one clear, simple response that everyone who is outraged by the shootings should agree on: Such ammunition clips (<--- think they meant Mags.) shouldn’t be legal anymore.

Authorities say suspect Jared Lee Loughner purchased his semiautomatic Glock pistol at a Tucson sporting-goods store in November. It held an extended clip (<--- think they meant Mags.) of at least 30 bullets. Such clips (<--- think they meant Mags.) had been illegal under federal law until the 2004 expiration of the assault-weapons ban, which prohibited clips (<--- think they meant Mags.) of more than 10 rounds. The ban was not renewed by a Republican Congress and president closely tied to the gun lobby, and Democrats pushed it to the back burner when they took power.

Whatever the arguments for or against an assault-weapons ban, that issue should not get in the way of broad agreement on banning ammunition clips(<--- think they meant Mags.) of the type that investigators say Loughner purchased. And whatever the connection between overheated rhetoric and the Tucson shootings, there is a direct link between the size of the attacker’s clip (<--- think they meant Mags.) and the amount of carnage he unleashed. It’s not a coincidence that terrified witnesses were not able to wrestle him to the ground until he had to stop to reload.

This isn’t the first time the lack of a ban on extended clips (<--- think they meant Mags.) has had deadly consequences. Authorities say Nidal Hasan used high-capacity clips (<--- think they meant Mags.) during his rampage at Ft. Hood in 2009, as did Seung-Hui Cho at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Representative Carolyn McCarthy of New York, who won office after her husband was killed and her son wounded during a 1993 rampage on the Long Island Railroad, plans to introduce a bill that would ban the sale of extended capacity ammunition clips. (<--- think they meant Mags.) While her office said that the details are still being negotiated, the bill would certainly cover clips (<--- think they meant Mags.) of the capacity used in the Tucson attack.

Under the Second Amendment, Americans are entitled to own firearms. But that does not answer the separate question of whether certain types of weapons are too dangerous for purposes other than the military or law enforcement. With its extended clip, (<--- think they meant Mags.) Loughner’s weapon fell in this category.

I would be the author has never touched a gun in his life. Almost wanted to send
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/_.../8/80/Clip_vs_mag1.jpg/250px-Clip_vs_mag1.jpg

eye95

They need to watch the video of Suzanna Hupp testifying before Congress, speaking about how quickly the murderer at Luby's changed clips...er...mags. Outlawing high-capacity magazines won't do anything to further protect the public.

eye95

I know along with my draw exercises I also do mag changes I can also be quick. I do not like where this new "ban large Mags" thing is going though :(

As a matter of practicality, it does not bother me. I don't have high-capacity mags. (Well, I have one, but it doesn't work well and is a pain in the *** even when it works. It sticks way out the bottom of the grip because my 1911 takes only a single-stack.)

As a matter of principle, it bothers me because it is another indication that some think that they can stop senseless violence with yet another senseless law.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Banning extended clips such as these would have the same effect on preventing violence as banning extended magazines would.

11paperclip_1.jpg
Measuring at nearly a foot long and 3 inches wide, this paperclip is one of the biggest you'll ever see! Made of heavy guage steel and chromed for a mirror-like finish. Use one of these giant paperclips as a paperweight. Buy several and link them together to make an unusually large paperclip chain.

2a4all

Ban Jerry Miculek!

Jerry Miculek can shoot 12 Rounds in 3 Seconds with a revolver, which obviously requires him to reload. He shoots faster than most of us can with a semi-auto pistol, and also hits his targets.

Sorry, Jerry.:cry:

78 Camaro

Extended Mags

Unfortunately, only bad guys would have extended capacity Mags.

People around this guy, friends and family failed to get him the help he so desperately needed.

In a perfect world with no guns. This guy still would have found another way to kill the congresswoman and anybody near her. Pipe bomb, Mow em down with a vehicle .....

beebobby

I'm trying to imagine how you would carry a Glock with a 33 rnd mag. Shoulder holster?