• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jogger shoots teen, won't get prosecuted.

Lovenox

Some of the comments by the antis just make me shake my head.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110112/ap_on_re_us/us_self_defense_shooting

– Wed Jan 12, 6:39 am ET
TAMPA, Fla. – A pistol-packing jogger in Florida won't be charged for shooting and killing a teenager who attacked him during a midnight run.

Prosecutors said Tuesday they are convinced Thomas Baker acted in self defense when he fired eight shots at 18-year-old Carlos Mustelier near Tampa in November .

Prosecutors say Florida's "stand-your-ground" law was a factor in their decision. The law, passed in 2005, gives people the right to use deadly force as long as they "reasonably believe" it is necessary to stop another person from hurting them.

Baker told police he reached for his gun when the teen punched him in the face. Baker has a concealed weapons permit.

The teen was hit four times in the chest, back and buttocks. He died at the scene.

___

Lovenox

Why should he get prosecuted? He did nothing wrong.

Agreed. But, this is not the sentiment of the antis. He should have tried to reason with the perp, understand what brought him to this place and perhaps given him a place to stay.
In reality, we need to be vigiliant on this types of cases in order to perserve the law and aire out with a robust voice if the prosecutors don't abide by the law or side with common sense .

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
first one?

I read some of the comments that came with the article. One argued that he was shot in the back. Sounded more like he spun around while receiving fire. Another complained that the shooter should have ceased fire after hitting the lad. Well....... I thought about that last night. He was alone, confronted by multiple aggressors, it was late at night so probably dark, and he was probably scared. How many of us have actually drawn a weapon on another human in earnest.