• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

These rounds are crazy... A MUST LOOK.

zack991

I ran across this thread on another site when I was reviewing 45 ACP ammo, honestly who would use these and if an open carrier was stopped by police, I would think it would not be good. Could you be in a lot of trouble for having these? I have never seen these before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3K1VgJpiNE

___________ said:
How's it going guys? I just thought I'd share some new bullets I got at a local gun show. I don't know if these classify as illegal for civilians in the US, but they are definitely interesting. . .

They are called H.E.A.T Dart Tip Rounds. They are advertised as "armor piercing" rounds. I recall seeing a video on .45 armor piercing rounds from Belgium and the two have a similar design.
The makers and distributors of these bullets claim that they can penetrate solid 1/4th in. thick steel plate and still be lethal on the other end. I'm not too sure how well they do against kevlar, but if anyone is willing to pay for a couple of vests, I'd gladly try them out! :D

Pics:
DSC03061.jpg

DSC03066.jpg

DSC03063.jpg

DSC03065.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

DSC03068.jpg

Thanks for viewing :)

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

If truely armor piercing....

Most states and I believe the Federal Government have issue with AP ammo for handguns in the hands of the populace. I do not have the cites for it but I am sure they will follow along. My impression is that buying these would place you on the felony trail enroute to the Gray Bar Hotel.

Oh, and they would be lousy man stoppers unless you had to penatrate a vest. Zero expansion and high probablity of over penetration.

Last edited:

zack991

onlurker

Most states and I believe the Federal Government have issue with AP ammo for handguns in the hands of the populace. I do not have the cites for it but I am sure they will follow along. My impression is that buying these would place you on the felony trail enroute to the Gray Bar Hotel.

From what I can gather that would appear to be the case, although I don't see anything listed that explicitly states it's illegal to possess the ammunition at the federal level.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

(a) It shall be unlawful—

(7) for any person to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition, unless—
(A) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
(B) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the purpose of exportation; or
(C) the manufacture or importation of such ammunition is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General;
(8) for any manufacturer or importer to sell or deliver armor piercing ammunition, unless such sale or delivery—
(A) is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
(B) is for the purpose of exportation; or
(C) is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General;

I found this information through here.

Also, I did manage to find the ATF's specific state regulations regarding armor piercing ammunition:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/state-laws/29th-edition/index.html

Pick your state and it sends you to a PDF specifying that particular state's thoughts on armor piercing ammunition, and it's mostly not pretty. Kentucky, for example, is a Class D felony to sell, manufacture, import, or transfer armor piercing rounds for the FIRST offense. It's a Class C felony for all other subsequent offenses. Maine is the only state I know of off-hand that explicitly states that you're prohibited from possessing armor piercing ammunition.

However, I couldn't find any restrictions at the local level in Washington state, so I'm left to assume that they simply follow federal laws, which bans the sale, importation, etc of armor piercing ammunition as noted earlier. VA seems to follow the same line of thought as I couldn't find anything at the state level. I've found that some states like Oregon simply make it a crime to use armor piercing ammunition in commission of a felony crime, or at least that was my interpretation of the language:

166.350. Unlawful possession of armor
piercing ammunition.
(1) A person commits the crime of unlawful
possession of armor piercing ammunition if the
person:
(a) Makes, sells, buys or possesses any
handgun ammunition the bullet or projectile of
which is coated with Teflon or any chemical
compound with properties similar to Teflon and
which is intended to penetrate soft body armor,
such person having the intent that the ammunition
be used in the commission of a felony; or

Anyway, it doesn't appear that it's explicitly illegal at the federal level to own/possess the ammunition, the ATF seems to want to leave that up to the states to decide. Good luck getting your hands on it though :shocker:

Last edited:

Ruby

Well i have never used this ammo but the 1911's are really good for the price. I will never own them thoughdue to they are full of mim parts.

Hold your horses there, guy. It depends on what 1911 you buy. Kimber makes good guns, they do have mim parts, BUT they guanantee them too. I have a Dan Wesson 1911 and the parts of my gun are forged. Of course, you're going to pay more, but you can get a 1911 with forged parts.

zack991

Hold your horses there, guy. It depends on what 1911 you buy. Kimber makes good guns, they do have mim parts, BUT they guarantee them too. I have a Dan Wesson 1911 and the parts of my gun are forged. Of course, you're going to pay more, but you can get a 1911 with forged parts.

I know most of all weapons now a days have some sort mim parts, the higher end companys do not use them for high stress parts or at all. I just don't put any trust in them.

Last edited: