Thread: Open Carry Weapons

Open Carry Weapons

I know this may sound like a stupid question but I wanted to know if rifles and shotguns had the ability for open carry? Iowa just passed new legislation allowing for will-issue concealed carry permits and the ability to open carry now. I've got one year until I have the ability to gain a concealed carry, or purchase a handgun for that matter. Thank you!

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FiXXXer View Post
    I know this may sound like a stupid question but I wanted to know if rifles and shotguns had the ability for open carry? Iowa just passed new legislation allowing for will-issue concealed carry permits and the ability to open carry now. I've got one year until I have the ability to gain a concealed carry, or purchase a handgun for that matter. Thank you!
    In some places you can carry a long gun under specific conditions. They are after all hard to conceal, so generally this would be open carry.

That said it is not generally done in the context of "open carry" as routinely discussed on this forum. Most people recognize that long guns are intended for both offensive and defensive use while handguns are generally considered as defensive weapons. So the carry of a long gun will attract a lot more attention than carry of a handgun, and most of that attention will be negative.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Ya, I see little point in carrying a rifle, except for hunting or the range... that's a tad over kill.

In the state of Alabama, it's the only way for a person convicted of a crime of violence to legally arm themselves.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflyer View Post
    In some places you can carry a long gun under specific conditions. They are after all hard to conceal, so generally this would be open carry.

So the carry of a long gun will attract a lot more attention than carry of a handgun, and most of that attention will be negative.
    In WA, I used to hunt deer with a Ruger Redhawk/Tasco scope. I had a nice cross-chest carry holster which fit the firearm and the scope very well for use under my jacket, thereby keeping the firearm warm and protected. I had a CWP, too, so ok there.

I was a little concerned at how quickly the deer got moving when I unzippered my jacket, though. Something's not quite right about that...
    Last edited by since9; 01-18-2011 at 03:15 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I was a little concerned at how quickly the deer got moving when I unzippered my jacket, though. Something's not quite right about that..
    Probably thought they were going to get piddled upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    In the state of Alabama, it's the only way for a person convicted of a crime of violence to legally arm themselves.
    Please explain, I thought felons were barred from posession of firearms totally. Does Al only restrict their posession of handguns? No sarcasm intended at all, honest question.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

Quote Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post
    Ya, I see little point in carrying a rifle, except for hunting or the range... that's a tad over kill.
    The only purpose of a handgun is so you can fight your way to a rifle!

And who wants to be fair in a fight for your life. Although LG OC is frowned upon here its certainly a viable option and in more rural areas an excellent option. And in limited circumstances having a good working knowledge of MOUT a rifle can really SYA! A recent example would be Katrina, a good hunting rifle with a decent scope can be a force multiplier!! or an AR or any rifle you know how to use even a .22lr

But in an urban area a shotgun might be the better option, more of a short range type weapon, less travel of the rounds if you miss and as long as you use lead it will probably splatter when it hits a good back stop.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    The only purpose of a handgun is so you can fight your way to a rifle!

And who wants to be fair in a fight for your life. Although LG OC is frowned upon here its certainly a viable option and in more rural areas an excellent option. And in limited circumstances having a good working knowledge of MOUT a rifle can really SYA! A recent example would be Katrina, a good hunting rifle with a decent scope can be a force multiplier!! or an AR or any rifle you know how to use even a .22lr

But in an urban area a shotgun might be the better option, more of a short range type weapon, less travel of the rounds if you miss and as long as you use lead it will probably splatter when it hits a good back stop.
    During Katrina my M4 and I were attatched at all times. By wife discovered a new love of my 870 riot gun also.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

Quote Originally Posted by FiXXXer View Post
    Nothing changed with the type of license issued. It is still a permit to carry weapons. You can carry any firearm you legally own and knives, tazers etc. either openly or concealed.

I hope this helps. While personally, I would not want to carry a long arm on foot, I can see the benefit to having a long arm in your vehicle. Which you can do with a permit to carry weapons.
    Last edited by Jared; 01-20-2011 at 01:53 PM.