• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Weapons

FiXXXer

I know this may sound like a stupid question but I wanted to know if rifles and shotguns had the ability for open carry? Iowa just passed new legislation allowing for will-issue concealed carry permits and the ability to open carry now. I've got one year until I have the ability to gain a concealed carry, or purchase a handgun for that matter. Thank you!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
I know this may sound like a stupid question but I wanted to know if rifles and shotguns had the ability for open carry? Iowa just passed new legislation allowing for will-issue concealed carry permits and the ability to open carry now. I've got one year until I have the ability to gain a concealed carry, or purchase a handgun for that matter. Thank you!

In some places you can carry a long gun under specific conditions. They are after all hard to conceal, so generally this would be open carry.

That said it is not generally done in the context of "open carry" as routinely discussed on this forum. Most people recognize that long guns are intended for both offensive and defensive use while handguns are generally considered as defensive weapons. So the carry of a long gun will attract a lot more attention than carry of a handgun, and most of that attention will be negative.

Regards

since9

Campaign Veteran
In some places you can carry a long gun under specific conditions. They are after all hard to conceal, so generally this would be open carry.

So the carry of a long gun will attract a lot more attention than carry of a handgun, and most of that attention will be negative.

In WA, I used to hunt deer with a Ruger Redhawk/Tasco scope. I had a nice cross-chest carry holster which fit the firearm and the scope very well for use under my jacket, thereby keeping the firearm warm and protected. I had a CWP, too, so ok there.

I was a little concerned at how quickly the deer got moving when I unzippered my jacket, though. Something's not quite right about that...

Last edited:

jeeper1

I was a little concerned at how quickly the deer got moving when I unzippered my jacket, though. Something's not quite right about that..

:DProbably thought they were going to get piddled upon.:D

NRAMARINE

In the state of Alabama, it's the only way for a person convicted of a crime of violence to legally arm themselves.

Please explain, I thought felons were barred from posession of firearms totally. Does Al only restrict their posession of handguns? No sarcasm intended at all, honest question.

NHCGRPR45

Ya, I see little point in carrying a rifle, except for hunting or the range... that's a tad over kill.

The only purpose of a handgun is so you can fight your way to a rifle!

And who wants to be fair in a fight for your life. Although LG OC is frowned upon here its certainly a viable option and in more rural areas an excellent option. And in limited circumstances having a good working knowledge of MOUT a rifle can really SYA! A recent example would be Katrina, a good hunting rifle with a decent scope can be a force multiplier!! or an AR or any rifle you know how to use even a .22lr

But in an urban area a shotgun might be the better option, more of a short range type weapon, less travel of the rounds if you miss and as long as you use lead it will probably splatter when it hits a good back stop.

NRAMARINE

The only purpose of a handgun is so you can fight your way to a rifle!

And who wants to be fair in a fight for your life. Although LG OC is frowned upon here its certainly a viable option and in more rural areas an excellent option. And in limited circumstances having a good working knowledge of MOUT a rifle can really SYA! A recent example would be Katrina, a good hunting rifle with a decent scope can be a force multiplier!! or an AR or any rifle you know how to use even a .22lr

But in an urban area a shotgun might be the better option, more of a short range type weapon, less travel of the rounds if you miss and as long as you use lead it will probably splatter when it hits a good back stop.

During Katrina my M4 and I were attatched at all times. By wife discovered a new love of my 870 riot gun also.

Jared

Nothing changed with the type of license issued. It is still a permit to carry weapons. You can carry any firearm you legally own and knives, tazers etc. either openly or concealed.

I hope this helps. While personally, I would not want to carry a long arm on foot, I can see the benefit to having a long arm in your vehicle. Which you can do with a permit to carry weapons.

Last edited: