Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Restrictive Knife Legislation Introduced.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Bobarino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    295

    Restrictive Knife Legislation Introduced.

    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...Bills/1006.htm

    The bill essentially applies Seattle's 3.5 inch blade restriction to the entire state.

    By Representatives Appleton and Ladenburg

    Prefiled 12/10/10. Read first time 01/10/11. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.


    AN ACT Relating to knives; amending RCW 9.41.250; and prescribing penalties.

    BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:

    Sec. 1 RCW 9.41.250 and 2007 c 379 s 1 are each amended to read as follows:
    (1) Every person who:
    (a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;
    (b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any ((dagger, dirk)) knife having a blade longer than three and one-half inches, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or
    (c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,
    is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
    (2) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to:
    (a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:
    (i) Is on official duty; or
    (ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or
    (b) The storage of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer.
    --- END ---
    Contact those legislators and tell them to send this one to File 13.

  2. #2
    Regular Member cbpeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, USA
    Posts
    407
    The WA state government has much more important issues to resolve than whether or not my pocket knife measures 3.4 or 3.6 inches. I wish the people in Olympia would cut the BS and do something meaningful!

  3. #3
    Regular Member xxx.jakk.xxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, United States
    Posts
    504
    I guess it's good that I wear my Kukri on my belt while on hikes and such. It cannot be misconstrued as Concealing or being worn in a Threatening Manner. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, Port Orchard calls any blade over 3.5" a Dangerous weapon.

    I hope that this bill goes to the S*** Can. I'm getting tired of restrictions on things that shouldn't be restricted. I can conceal my Pocket Knife but I'm not even supposed to carry my Kukri. My pocket knife could easily kill someone while my Kukri is heavy and is only used as a machete...
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

    "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

    Its always open season on criminals in Mason County, and theres no bag limit. Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

    Molōn labe!

  4. #4
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    An LEO shoots someone carrying a FOLDED 3 inch blade, and legislation is being passed for the safety of whom?

    Figures!

    I think this legislation should apply though, from what I hear, you carry anything bigger than two inches in Bellevue, you are going to jail.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  5. #5
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    I think this legislation should apply though, from what I hear, you carry anything bigger than two inches in Bellevue, you are going to jail.
    That length doesn't even cover your standard Leatherman multi-tool blades.

    Ridiculous!

  6. #6
    Regular Member dizzle2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lacey
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    An LEO shoots someone carrying a FOLDED 3 inch blade, and legislation is being passed for the safety of whom?

    Figures!

    I think this legislation should apply though, from what I hear, you carry anything bigger than two inches in Bellevue, you are going to jail.
    are you talking about the recent occurrence in seattle when cop shot the man going toward him with a knife?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Poulsbo, Washington, USA
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle2 View Post
    are you talking about the recent occurrence in seattle when cop shot the man going toward him with a knife?
    Except the guy didn't go toward him with a knife. The cop ran toward him, then yelled for him to drop his (closed and legal) knife before shooting him four times in the side, all in less than sixteen seconds.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Edge of the woods
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by antispam540 View Post
    Except the guy didn't go toward him with a knife. The cop ran toward him, then yelled for him to drop his (closed and legal) knife before shooting him four times in the side, all in less than sixteen seconds.
    And I've yet to hear that cop explain what crime he thought might be going on that would warrant his stopping the man to begin with. Carrying a knife(open, closed, taped to the side of his head, etc...) isn't a crime as far as I know, unless he was trying to apply a variation of "don't run with scissors"!
    Last edited by dadada; 01-12-2011 at 09:59 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    That length doesn't even cover your standard Leatherman multi-tool blades.

    Ridiculous!
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I think that we should be legally permitted to carry whatever length we see fit. Hell, I can carry a handgun, but can't carry a blade longer than 3.5! But.....if 3.5 is the max, it should be across the state, not city to city...you are in Seattle, everything is alright, you go to Bellevue, you are engaged FWIU in an arrestable offense.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  10. #10
    Regular Member dizzle2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lacey
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by antispam540 View Post
    Except the guy didn't go toward him with a knife. The cop ran toward him, then yelled for him to drop his (closed and legal) knife before shooting him four times in the side, all in less than sixteen seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    And I've yet to hear that cop explain what crime he thought might be going on that would warrant his stopping the man to begin with. Carrying a knife(open, closed, taped to the side of his head, etc...) isn't a crime as far as I know, unless he was trying to apply a variation of "don't run with scissors"!
    first off, the cop had reasonable suspicion that the man was intoxicated because he was acting strange. The man was carving wood with an open knife. The cop tells him to drop it and the man continues towards the cop with an open knife. The cop has reason enough to use deadly force.

  11. #11
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle2 View Post
    first off, the cop had reasonable suspicion that the man was intoxicated because he was acting strange. The man was carving wood with an open knife. The cop tells him to drop it and the man continues towards the cop with an open knife. The cop has reason enough to use deadly force.
    Where are you getting your information? You should probably follow this thread that was already started on this subject before continuing.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-autopsy-shows

  12. #12
    Regular Member dizzle2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lacey
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Where are you getting your information? You should probably follow this thread that was already started on this subject before continuing.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-autopsy-shows
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ooting31m.html

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769
    That "information" is the preliminary BS gathered by a news paper reporter. If you had read this entire thread, looked at the videos linked, and the follow up information from reliable sources as well as the followm up from the newspaper, I think you would be a bit better informed. I hope you don't believe all the bs printed by the Seattle Times.

  14. #14
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Your article was from August, you probably need to catch up before commenting further.

    http://www.seattlepi.com/local/433244_inquest12.html

  15. #15
    Regular Member dizzle2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lacey
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    That "information" is the preliminary BS gathered by a news paper reporter. If you had read this entire thread, looked at the videos linked, and the follow up information from reliable sources as well as the followm up from the newspaper, I think you would be a bit better informed. I hope you don't believe all the bs printed by the Seattle Times.
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Your article was from August, you probably need to catch up before commenting further.

    http://www.seattlepi.com/local/433244_inquest12.html
    Police spokeswoman Renee Witt is where the info came from.

  16. #16
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle2 View Post
    Police spokeswoman Renee Witt is where the info came from.
    Yeah, five months ago. Read something current. The true facts have been revealed in the officers own words in court.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  17. #17
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle2 View Post
    Police spokeswoman Renee Witt is where the info came from.
    I read your cite, and again, your information is 4 1/2 months old, and preliminary to boot. You REALLY need to catch up to current events in this case and say nothing more until you do.

    Friendly advise from me to you.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle2 View Post
    first off, the cop had reasonable suspicion that the man was intoxicated because he was acting strange. The man was carving wood with an open knife. The cop tells him to drop it and the man continues towards the cop with an open knife. The cop has reason enough to use deadly force.

    "Acting strange." I would like to read what his justification was, how Williams was acting strange.

    By Birks own admission, the knife was closed. Unless Williams could close the knife while being shot, not likely. Wrong, he had no reason to use deadly force.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  19. #19
    Regular Member dizzle2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lacey
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Yeah, five months ago. Read something current. The true facts have been revealed in the officers own words in court.
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    I read your cite, and again, your information is 4 1/2 months old, and preliminary to boot. You REALLY need to catch up to current events in this case and say nothing more until you do.

    Friendly advise from me to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    "Acting strange." I would like to read what his justification was, how Williams was acting strange.

    By Birks own admission, the knife was closed. Unless Williams could close the knife while being shot, not likely. Wrong, he had no reason to use deadly force.
    regardless of every other circumstance. It is recorded that the officer told him to stop and drop the knife several times. The officer had every right to use deadly force. If a person had a gun in their hand but all the safety devices were engaged and the gun wasnt loaded, does it make it right to not listen to an officer telling you to put it down?

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle2 View Post
    regardless of every other circumstance. It is recorded that the officer told him to stop and drop the knife several times. The officer had every right to use deadly force. If a person had a gun in their hand but all the safety devices were engaged and the gun wasnt loaded, does it make it right to not listen to an officer telling you to put it down?
    Right, over a period of roughly 4 seconds there was--------- put the knife down, put the knife down, put the knife down, BANG BANG BANG BANG

  21. #21
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    well,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle2 View Post
    regardless of every other circumstance. It is recorded that the officer told him to stop and drop the knife several times. The officer had every right to use deadly force. If a person had a gun in their hand but all the safety devices were engaged and the gun wasnt loaded, does it make it right to not listen to an officer telling you to put it down?
    not only the 4 second time to shoot, but the cop never identified himself as such!
    the victim never showed signs of threat, to anybody!
    the victim never even showed signs of noticing the cop car as he walked past!
    http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-was-...0,208236.story
    watch this news clip!
    there are better clips, but i cant find them.

    P.S. this is a knife thread,,,,please direct you posts about the shooting to the
    "shot 4 times in the side" thread!!!!
    and as an aside, YOU should spend ALOT more time reading than writing!!!
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 01-13-2011 at 12:25 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  22. #22
    Regular Member CenTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,,
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle2 View Post
    regardless of every other circumstance. It is recorded that the officer told him to stop and drop the knife several times. The officer had every right to use deadly force. If a person had a gun in their hand but all the safety devices were engaged and the gun wasnt loaded, does it make it right to not listen to an officer telling you to put it down?

    You got to be kidding me.

    You don't shoot a man with a closed knife no matter how many times you tell him. You probably should shoot him if he starts coming at you in a threatening manner with an open knife. No one that I know of has ever been killed or, even less, wounded by a closed knife. I've had knives for 60 years, and I have never once cut myself with a close knife.

    This cop was in the wrong. He made some really hasty decisions that cost a man his life.

    Edit: Even if the Indian had an open knife, there is no cause to shoot him unless he threatens you. The man was shot four times in the side. What threat did his position show? You don't run at people sideways. I suspect the officer's adrenalin was way too high impairing his reasoning. I also suspect his shooting can be contributed to inexperience in decision making when someone is holding a knife.
    Last edited by CenTex; 01-13-2011 at 12:42 AM.
    The words of a tyrant: I never entertain opposing opinions. I am always right.

    Socialism is just another dirty word for totalitarianism.

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -Patrick Henry

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle2 View Post
    first off, the cop had reasonable suspicion that the man was intoxicated because he was acting strange. The man was carving wood with an open knife. The cop tells him to drop it and the man continues towards the cop with an open knife. The cop has reason enough to use deadly force.
    Certainly you are oblivious. RAS of what crime?

    I suggest you read threads and posts on this forum before you ever make a comment again. Your ignorance now permeates through several threads.
    Live Free or Die!

  24. #24
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
    You got to be kidding me.

    <SNIP>

    This cop was in the wrong. He made some really hasty decisions that cost a man his life.
    +1

    The time frame, the initial approach by the officer and the fact he had his gun out from the beginning tells me that this officer had made up his mind before the encounter had even started.

    He had lots of options that he should have taken the time to consider...had every DUTY to consider, and he did none of them. He made a hasty decision, perhaps based on lack of experience, over aggressive personality, or both, and it cost him his career, a man his life, and if a jury doesn't go easy on him, possibly his freedom for a long time.

    Maybe he thinks he was justified by his point of view, but ask him today, or especially if a jury convicts him, if he would have done things the same way given the chance to do it again, and I bet dollars against dimes he would say he would slow down and do things differently.

  25. #25
    Regular Member CenTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,,
    Posts
    276
    Sadly, one dead man, and one cop whose life will never be the same.

    Sad.
    Last edited by CenTex; 01-13-2011 at 12:47 AM.
    The words of a tyrant: I never entertain opposing opinions. I am always right.

    Socialism is just another dirty word for totalitarianism.

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •