• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restrictive Knife Legislation Introduced.

1245A Defender

well,,,

regardless of every other circumstance. It is recorded that the officer told him to stop and drop the knife several times. The officer had every right to use deadly force. If a person had a gun in their hand but all the safety devices were engaged and the gun wasnt loaded, does it make it right to not listen to an officer telling you to put it down?

not only the 4 second time to shoot, but the cop never identified himself as such!
the victim never showed signs of threat, to anybody!
the victim never even showed signs of noticing the cop car as he walked past!
http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-was-...0,208236.story
watch this news clip!
there are better clips, but i cant find them.

P.S. this is a knife thread,,,,please direct you posts about the shooting to the
"shot 4 times in the side" thread!!!!
and as an aside, YOU should spend ALOT more time reading than writing!!!

Last edited:

CenTex

regardless of every other circumstance. It is recorded that the officer told him to stop and drop the knife several times. The officer had every right to use deadly force. If a person had a gun in their hand but all the safety devices were engaged and the gun wasnt loaded, does it make it right to not listen to an officer telling you to put it down?

You got to be kidding me.

You don't shoot a man with a closed knife no matter how many times you tell him. You probably should shoot him if he starts coming at you in a threatening manner with an open knife. No one that I know of has ever been killed or, even less, wounded by a closed knife. I've had knives for 60 years, and I have never once cut myself with a close knife.

This cop was in the wrong. He made some really hasty decisions that cost a man his life.

Edit: Even if the Indian had an open knife, there is no cause to shoot him unless he threatens you. The man was shot four times in the side. What threat did his position show? You don't run at people sideways. I suspect the officer's adrenalin was way too high impairing his reasoning. I also suspect his shooting can be contributed to inexperience in decision making when someone is holding a knife.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
first off, the cop had reasonable suspicion that the man was intoxicated because he was acting strange. The man was carving wood with an open knife. The cop tells him to drop it and the man continues towards the cop with an open knife. The cop has reason enough to use deadly force.

Certainly you are oblivious. RAS of what crime?

I suggest you read threads and posts on this forum before you ever make a comment again. Your ignorance now permeates through several threads.

FMCDH

<SNIP>

This cop was in the wrong. He made some really hasty decisions that cost a man his life.

+1

The time frame, the initial approach by the officer and the fact he had his gun out from the beginning tells me that this officer had made up his mind before the encounter had even started.

He had lots of options that he should have taken the time to consider...had every DUTY to consider, and he did none of them. He made a hasty decision, perhaps based on lack of experience, over aggressive personality, or both, and it cost him his career, a man his life, and if a jury doesn't go easy on him, possibly his freedom for a long time.

Maybe he thinks he was justified by his point of view, but ask him today, or especially if a jury convicts him, if he would have done things the same way given the chance to do it again, and I bet dollars against dimes he would say he would slow down and do things differently.

CenTex

Sadly, one dead man, and one cop whose life will never be the same.

Sad.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Im starting to wonder if my posts even show up on your guys screens!

well,,,

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by dizzle2

not only the 4 second time to shoot, but the cop never identified himself as such!
watch this news clip!

P.S. this is a knife thread,,,,please direct your posts about the shooting to the

ive even PMed eye95 and get no answer, am i in ignore land, i feel weak, hello?

Bobarino

Since the thread has morphed a bit but is still about knives, more or less, here's Birk's RAS from his own mouth.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/113420234.html

Birk countered that Williams seemed in an altered state, and worried other people might feel threatened by the knife, especially since Williams had ignored all his commands.

"The knife is up in front of him," he said. "He's not doing anything like putting his hands up, or looking confused."

So, potential to make people feel threatened and not looking confused is now a capital offense, but without all that "due process" nonsense. Go figure.

Last edited:

dizzle2

watch this news clip!

P.S. this is a knife thread,,,,please direct you posts about the shooting to the

You don't shoot a man with a closed knife no matter how many times you tell him. You probably should shoot him if he starts coming at you in a threatening manner with an open knife. No one that I know of has ever been killed or, even less, wounded by a closed knife. I've had knives for 60 years, and I have never once cut myself with a close knife.

Edit: Even if the Indian had an open knife, there is no cause to shoot him unless he threatens you. The man was shot four times in the side. What threat did his position show? You don't run at people sideways. I suspect the officer's adrenalin was way too high impairing his reasoning. I also suspect his shooting can be contributed to inexperience in decision making when someone is holding a knife.

Certainly you are oblivious. RAS of what crime?

I suggest you read threads and posts on this forum before you ever make a comment again. Your ignorance now permeates through several threads.
I understand. All I am saying is...from 10 feet away, I can flick open my knife and be at your chest before you can draw your gun, take it off safety, and be on sight. I understand now that things should have went differently, and 2 lives would have been saved.

Stretch

Let's try to keep THIS thread on topic, PLEASE!

I'll be contacting my local politicians about this stupid 3.5" knife blade law.

Aaron1124

I clicked on this thread in hopes to read about updates on the proposed bill, but instead, I found a continuation of the bickering regarding the shooting of the wood carver.

Dain Bramage

Has anybody parsed all of the bill's language? Any changes beside the 3.5" length rule?

I know the state is itching to put assisted openers in the switch blade catagory. I hope there are no subtle language changes.

Either way, this bill must be fought on it's face value. I can CC or OC a handgun but I can't have a SOG Trident in my pocket? It's death of rights by incrementalism.

I was hoping to get a big brother to my SOG Topo Meridian, but given that knife's bloody rampage through slit boxes, cut cord, tape, and plastic packaging, perhaps I better not.