• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restrictive Knife Legislation Introduced.

Bobarino

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Htm/Bills/House Bills/1006.htm

The bill essentially applies Seattle's 3.5 inch blade restriction to the entire state.

By Representatives Appleton and Ladenburg

Prefiled 12/10/10. Read first time 01/10/11. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.

AN ACT Relating to knives; amending RCW 9.41.250; and prescribing penalties.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:

Sec. 1 RCW 9.41.250 and 2007 c 379 s 1 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) Every person who:
(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;
(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any ((dagger, dirk)) knife having a blade longer than three and one-half inches, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or
(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,
is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to:
(a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:
(i) Is on official duty; or
(ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or
(b) The storage of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer.
--- END ---

Contact those legislators and tell them to send this one to File 13.

cbpeck

The WA state government has much more important issues to resolve than whether or not my pocket knife measures 3.4 or 3.6 inches. I wish the people in Olympia would cut the BS and do something meaningful! :banghead:

xxx.jakk.xxx

I guess it's good that I wear my Kukri on my belt while on hikes and such. It cannot be misconstrued as Concealing or being worn in a Threatening Manner. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, Port Orchard calls any blade over 3.5" a Dangerous weapon.

I hope that this bill goes to the S*** Can. I'm getting tired of restrictions on things that shouldn't be restricted. I can conceal my Pocket Knife but I'm not even supposed to carry my Kukri. My pocket knife could easily kill someone while my Kukri is heavy and is only used as a machete...

Beretta92FSLady

An LEO shoots someone carrying a FOLDED 3 inch blade, and legislation is being passed for the safety of whom?

Figures!

I think this legislation should apply though, from what I hear, you carry anything bigger than two inches in Bellevue, you are going to jail.

dizzle2

An LEO shoots someone carrying a FOLDED 3 inch blade, and legislation is being passed for the safety of whom?

Figures!

I think this legislation should apply though, from what I hear, you carry anything bigger than two inches in Bellevue, you are going to jail.

are you talking about the recent occurrence in seattle when cop shot the man going toward him with a knife?

antispam540

are you talking about the recent occurrence in seattle when cop shot the man going toward him with a knife?

Except the guy didn't go toward him with a knife. The cop ran toward him, then yelled for him to drop his (closed and legal) knife before shooting him four times in the side, all in less than sixteen seconds.

dadada

Except the guy didn't go toward him with a knife. The cop ran toward him, then yelled for him to drop his (closed and legal) knife before shooting him four times in the side, all in less than sixteen seconds.

And I've yet to hear that cop explain what crime he thought might be going on that would warrant his stopping the man to begin with. Carrying a knife(open, closed, taped to the side of his head, etc...) isn't a crime as far as I know, unless he was trying to apply a variation of "don't run with scissors"!

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

That length doesn't even cover your standard Leatherman multi-tool blades.

Ridiculous! :mad:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I think that we should be legally permitted to carry whatever length we see fit. Hell, I can carry a handgun, but can't carry a blade longer than 3.5! But.....if 3.5 is the max, it should be across the state, not city to city...you are in Seattle, everything is alright, you go to Bellevue, you are engaged FWIU in an arrestable offense.

dizzle2

And I've yet to hear that cop explain what crime he thought might be going on that would warrant his stopping the man to begin with. Carrying a knife(open, closed, taped to the side of his head, etc...) isn't a crime as far as I know, unless he was trying to apply a variation of "don't run with scissors"!

first off, the cop had reasonable suspicion that the man was intoxicated because he was acting strange. The man was carving wood with an open knife. The cop tells him to drop it and the man continues towards the cop with an open knife. The cop has reason enough to use deadly force.

FMCDH

first off, the cop had reasonable suspicion that the man was intoxicated because he was acting strange. The man was carving wood with an open knife. The cop tells him to drop it and the man continues towards the cop with an open knife. The cop has reason enough to use deadly force.

Where are you getting your information? You should probably follow this thread that was already started on this subject before continuing.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ur-times-in-his-side-by-officer-autopsy-shows

Trigger Dr

dizzle2

That "information" is the preliminary BS gathered by a news paper reporter. If you had read this entire thread, looked at the videos linked, and the follow up information from reliable sources as well as the followm up from the newspaper, I think you would be a bit better informed. I hope you don't believe all the bs printed by the Seattle Times.

Your article was from August, you probably need to catch up before commenting further.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/433244_inquest12.html
Police spokeswoman Renee Witt is where the info came from.

FMCDH

Police spokeswoman Renee Witt is where the info came from.

I read your cite, and again, your information is 4 1/2 months old, and preliminary to boot. You REALLY need to catch up to current events in this case and say nothing more until you do.

Friendly advise from me to you.

Beretta92FSLady

"Acting strange." I would like to read what his justification was, how Williams was acting strange.

By Birks own admission, the knife was closed. Unless Williams could close the knife while being shot, not likely. Wrong, he had no reason to use deadly force.

dizzle2

Yeah, five months ago. Read something current. The true facts have been revealed in the officers own words in court.

I read your cite, and again, your information is 4 1/2 months old, and preliminary to boot. You REALLY need to catch up to current events in this case and say nothing more until you do.

Friendly advise from me to you.

"Acting strange." I would like to read what his justification was, how Williams was acting strange.

By Birks own admission, the knife was closed. Unless Williams could close the knife while being shot, not likely. Wrong, he had no reason to use deadly force.

regardless of every other circumstance. It is recorded that the officer told him to stop and drop the knife several times. The officer had every right to use deadly force. If a person had a gun in their hand but all the safety devices were engaged and the gun wasnt loaded, does it make it right to not listen to an officer telling you to put it down?

Trigger Dr

regardless of every other circumstance. It is recorded that the officer told him to stop and drop the knife several times. The officer had every right to use deadly force. If a person had a gun in their hand but all the safety devices were engaged and the gun wasnt loaded, does it make it right to not listen to an officer telling you to put it down?

Right, over a period of roughly 4 seconds there was--------- put the knife down, put the knife down, put the knife down, BANG BANG BANG BANG