• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

jogger in Florida won't be charged

Onnie

TAMPA, Fla. – A pistol-packing jogger in Florida won't be charged for shooting and killing a teenager who attacked him during a midnight run.

Prosecutors said Tuesday they are convinced Thomas Baker acted in self defense when he fired eight shots at 18-year-old Carlos Mustelier near Tampa in November .

Prosecutors say Florida's "stand-your-ground" law was a factor in their decision. The law, passed in 2005, gives people the right to use deadly force as long as they "reasonably believe" it is necessary to stop another person from hurting them.

Baker told police he reached for his gun when the teen punched him in the face. Baker has a concealed weapons permit.

The teen was hit four times in the chest, back and buttocks. He died at the scene

Recoil88

So if im carrying concealed and someone punches me in the face i can shoot someone to death if i live in Florida? Seems ridiculous to me. But i will guess the shooter must have a been a little guy or gal who could not or would not fight back without a firearm.

DetroitBiker

So if im carrying concealed and someone punches me in the face i can shoot someone to death if i live in Florida? Seems ridiculous to me. But i will guess the shooter must have a been a little guy or gal who could not or would not fight back without a firearm.

If you were jogging at midnight,and two guys approached you, then suddunly one trys to knock you out by punching you in the face. Wouldn`t you reasonably believe you were in danger of being killed,or have great bodily harm done to you?
The size of the shooter compared to attacker doesnt mean much. I`ve seen many big dudes get there azz`s kicked by smaller guys.

KansasMustang

The point of the mater is NOT that he can't fight back, that he shouldn't have to/ nor that he should. The point is he was in fear of his life/limb or property. The reason it seems ridiculous to you is that it's never happened to you. Another criminal has been removed from the world, and this will also show other criminal types not to do this because they might wind up dead. What does it take for someone like you to get it through your head that these kind of things should not be tolerated nor allowed to continue.

Last edited:

Onnie

I would think the answer would be yes! How much force does it take to damage your skull enough to die? Is the force the same for you as for me?

For me, I will do what ever it takes for me to get out of the situation without drawing my weapon, but, I am nearing 60 years old. I was attacked not long ago, while the hit to the face was not enough to kill me, the terror I went though afterward laying on the ground having a heart attack was enough get me to wear a pistol for protection.

I truly believe one punch from a young 18 year old will do serious damage to me, if not kill me, and I wont give him a second opportunity to prove that theory on me or someone else!

Your fist can be a dangerous weapon, many have died from just one blow to the head. We all have heard the term "beaten to death". Maybe the first hit to this jogger might not have killed him, but what about the second or the third? How many hits does one have to take to the face before its legal to shoot someone to stop the threat of you dying, I say not even one! Come at me with your fist, and if I feel you might seriously injury me or even kill me, I will stop the threat!

If I am in fear of my life during a altercation, I believe it encompass not only a punch to the face, but anything that can or may happen after the punch, like my heart attack, which would not have happened if he had just left me alone!

Tao

All the tough guys say that, until they get caught with the one perfect punch that breaks their neck.

I see it all the time in my ER, injuries that will be life long disabilities, from unarmed assaults.

Sorry, but my ego doesn't mandate my participation in a fist fight.

Last edited:

Onnie

All the tough guys say that, until they get caught with the one perfect punch that breaks their neck.

I see it all the time in my ER, injuries that will be life long disabilities, from unarmed assaults.

Sorry, but my ego doesn't mandate my participation in a fist fight.

+1