Thread: bad areas around phoenix? places in AZ to live?

bad areas around phoenix? places in AZ to live?

Looking at moving, and see houses are ridiculously cheap, and don't look bad at all...

I'm interested in getting feedback on the phoenix area, or thereabouts, on what are the good/bad places to live....

There is one house I'm aiming for specifically right now....

Link

Areas to stay out of? areas other than phoenix that are good to live?

*updated link
    Last edited by TechnoWeenie; 01-12-2011 at 09:29 PM.

If you mean Phoenix specifically then Ahwatukee and the Arcadia/Biltmore areas are nice. Adjacent to Phoenix are the cities of Chandler and Tempe (ASU city), both of which are mostly civilized -- though I haven't lived in Chandler myself. Then of course there is always $cottsdale to the north.
    Last edited by Carlos 10mm; 01-12-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Spend little time researching traffic and commuting, as well. Scottsdale and Mesa are both "east valley," for example, but you could still have a 1-hour + commute from a home in Mesa to a business in Scottsdale (or vice versa) - much more than that if you're driving from Chandler to Glendale, or any other cross-town trips.

Where you live will depend to some extent on where you work (or otherwise spend the majority of your time). Having said that, there are nice areas all over the valley, so you've certainly got a lot of choices.

And it's all very friendly to open carry...

What about Prescott?

Seems a bit more expensive but also a tad more 'small town'..... Which I prefer.

I lived in the Ahwatukee area for a few months, never had any problems.
    My location says I am from Sierra Vista, AZ which is where I live now but I actually lived in MO for 26 years! So please stop telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I post in the Missouri forum!

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    What about Prescott?

Seems a bit more expensive but also a tad more 'small town'..... Which I prefer.
    Prescott is great. Much more small town, less crime, less traffic, nicer weather, good gun shops...

but good luck finding work and especially good paying work.

I gave up trying to move to AZ. I still want to, but I hate the city and there aren't any jobs there, either.

a little slow on the reply but, after two years of resumes I landed a job in the Phoenix area making a bit more than I did in Seattle. the area to stay out of is a bit south of the freeway that runs east-west through Phoenix. south of that line in the mid area is not so good. far enough east in the Gilbert area is not too bad.

but as is said, "any time, any place"