Thread: State of Emergency - sort of.

State of Emergency - sort of.

"Gov. Chris Gregoire on Wednesday proclaimed a state of emergency ..."

I looked out the window at the non-existant snow and wondered WTH?

And then saw that the date for this was for the 8 - 18th of December.

Were we in violation of any weapons regulations in a somewhat ex post facto manner?
    Link is from todays seattlepi dot com.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/43330...tml?source=rss

Not unless she invoked that part of her current SoE authority. Just because an SoE is declared doesn't mean that every aspect of that authority is enacted "de facto".

Believe me, if she had, you would have heard about it.

And just because she has the authority, doesn't mean she has the political capital to spend on such restrictions that would certainly loose her some serious brownie points with voters.

That is one deceleration she will think long and hard about before enacting, not to mention its not a power she should posses at all anyway. Gun owners are still very aware of the effects such decelerations had during Katrina, and the backlash on those who enforced them.

True the prohibition must be acted upon to invoke that portion.

Even if she did then there maybe grounds to run this up the flag pole as it goes against our Washington State Constitution.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

On this note, a Question

Let's say that there is a major disaster in Washington State. A major earthquake that demolishes Seattle, Tacoma, Everett, and Olympia (yeah, I know some would consider that last one to be more of a "blessing").

The Governor declares a "State of Emergency" and the "firearms" provision is now considered active. My question is, with the totality of the destruction, and the inability of the Police Agencies to function (assuming that they even survived), "How many would pay attention to this order"? Does anyone even think that the Police would be trying to enforce it here in the Pac NW?

This "provision" is more likely than not a piece of "boiler plate" that was added to the legislation prior to federal law that prevents any State from receiving fed funds if they confiscate weapons during an emergency.

Just remember that in the Katrina disaster, many of the police fled and those that remained essentially gave up to the lawless crowds.

Last but not least, we now have the 2A incorporated. Not so at time if Katrina.

I won't loose much sleep over the possibilities and in the eventuality of a disaster I will be keeping my weapons.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Yet they somehow were able to disarm the citizenry.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Yet they somehow were able to disarm the citizenry.
    Again, different time, different laws, and are you sure they disarmed everyone? Many of the guns that were seized were merely removed from abandoned homes.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Again, different time, different laws, and are you sure they disarmed everyone? Many of the guns that were seized were merely removed from abandoned homes.
    Katrina was not that long ago, and you are absolutely right the thugs kept their guns.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)