• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State of Emergency - sort of.

Contrarian

"Gov. Chris Gregoire on Wednesday proclaimed a state of emergency ..."

I looked out the window at the non-existant snow and wondered WTH?

And then saw that the date for this was for the 8 - 18th of December.

Were we in violation of any weapons regulations in a somewhat ex post facto manner?
Link is from todays seattlepi dot com.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/433304_emergency12.html?source=rss

FMCDH

Not unless she invoked that part of her current SoE authority. Just because an SoE is declared doesn't mean that every aspect of that authority is enacted "de facto".

Believe me, if she had, you would have heard about it.

And just because she has the authority, doesn't mean she has the political capital to spend on such restrictions that would certainly loose her some serious brownie points with voters.

That is one deceleration she will think long and hard about before enacting, not to mention its not a power she should posses at all anyway. Gun owners are still very aware of the effects such decelerations had during Katrina, and the backlash on those who enforced them.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
True the prohibition must be acted upon to invoke that portion.

Even if she did then there maybe grounds to run this up the flag pole as it goes against our Washington State Constitution.

amlevin

On this note, a Question

Let's say that there is a major disaster in Washington State. A major earthquake that demolishes Seattle, Tacoma, Everett, and Olympia (yeah, I know some would consider that last one to be more of a "blessing").

The Governor declares a "State of Emergency" and the "firearms" provision is now considered active. My question is, with the totality of the destruction, and the inability of the Police Agencies to function (assuming that they even survived), "How many would pay attention to this order"? Does anyone even think that the Police would be trying to enforce it here in the Pac NW?

This "provision" is more likely than not a piece of "boiler plate" that was added to the legislation prior to federal law that prevents any State from receiving fed funds if they confiscate weapons during an emergency.

Just remember that in the Katrina disaster, many of the police fled and those that remained essentially gave up to the lawless crowds.

Last but not least, we now have the 2A incorporated. Not so at time if Katrina.

I won't loose much sleep over the possibilities and in the eventuality of a disaster I will be keeping my weapons.