• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

guns in courthouse, detention facility.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I am trying to find out where i can find legal info on OCing in a courthouse and jails, detention facilities.....I cannot find KRS anywhere for open carry in these places, however i have been told by courthouse security they will not allow you to OCarry in these places. Can anyone tell me anything on the subject.>>??

UnfetteredMight

Yeah me and gutshot were just discussing this.

If a courthouse has any state office other than those associated with court proceedings, then they have to allow open carry of ONLY a firearm, no other weapons.

Offices associated with court proceedings would include;
Courtrooms
Judges chambers
Circuit and district clerks
Driver's licensing(yes i'm serious about this one)

Even in the ones that allow it, you still can only go into the state offices other than those listed and the adjoining hallways.

So the justice centers are COMPLETELY off limits as they will not house other state offices.

Tread carefully on this, I only know of one courthouse that you can open carry in and I forget which one it is, I just know one exists.

You can never open carry into a detention center of any kind.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Thanks gentlemen

That clears up everything I wanted to know about that. I do have one more question and im certain that one of you will have the answer. If you can not even open carry into the chambers when a leg. body is meeting, then what about local govt. leg. bodies meeting.? Ive noticed you cant conceal carry, but again, I can find nothing for open carry. Can you help me out here?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I understand you THINK I am wasting my time, but I do like being informed. If I am not allowed to carry in a courthouse I wanna know where it says it. If I cant carry newhere I wanna know where the law is. I dont consider it wasting my time, I consider it time well spent because now I know. I do not understand however why my county courthouse, which also has Transp. Office, "Drivers license", etc. does not allow ne firearms in the building. Seems to me like that would be illegal.

langzaiguy

@Glockster: I believe KRS says that you cannot CC on the floor of the House or the Senate. I don't think OC is technically prohibited on the floor of the legislative chambers. I mentioned that the security guard said you couldn't carry whatsoever in the chambers--I was trying to construe that even though OC may not be illegal in the chambers, it may not be welcome.

As far as courthouse carry--from what I understand, it's up to the individual judge on what he allows in his courtroom or his offices. Now as gutshot quoted, there's an AG opinion that states that they shouldn't ban OC in those parts of the courthouse used in a non-judicial fashion.

trooper46

I'll go ahead and throw in the last obvious bit of information for the heck. I work part-time as a deputy jailer in KY. No weapons of any type at anytime in any of the jails or detention centers.

We don't even let cops, federal marshals, or anyone bring a weapon into the jail. The risk of an inmate getting their hands on it is just too high.

I'm an absolute sponsor of open carry.....but when you have walk a serial murderer from his cell to rec who has absolutely nothing to lose.....you'll understand why you can't bring something like that in.

Last edited:

UnfetteredMight

I'll go ahead and throw in the last obvious bit of information for the heck. I work part-time as a deputy jailer in KY. No weapons of any type at anytime in any of the jails or detention centers.

We don't even let cops, federal marshals, or anyone bring a weapon into the jail. The risk of an inmate getting their hands on it is just too high.

I'm an absolute sponsor of open carry.....but when you have walk a serial murderer from his cell to rec who has absolutely nothing to lose.....you'll understand why you can't bring something like that in.

For me, there are three places that i will never argue the validity of a weapons ban.

1)Courtrooms

2)Judges Chambers

3)Detention Centers

Although it would be nice if we could at least step into a courthouse and secure our sidearms in a weapons locker with the sheriffs', so as to not be disarmed between the courthouse and our cars.

Probably never happen though.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I dont care at all that we cant carry carry in a detention facility, or courthouse. Man you all just take something and run with it dont you? Im just trying to figure out if they dont let you carry in these places, how, by law, they get by with it. Point, you go to our courthouse to get your drivers license, which has nothing to do with judicial matters, the circuit clerk does hand you your license, but its issued through the transportation cabinent is what I meant. If im looking for something that doesnt exist, then if it doesnt, they cant ban you from carrying in these places. Therefore I know what I wanted to know, that there is no law on the books that actually bans a person from carrying in such a place. And I do not consider that a waste of MY time, because I now know what I wanted to know.

CharleyCherokee

The answer to your question is this. The weapons are banned by judicial order. However, in the case of a courthouse housing facilities not connected to the function of the court they have no legal authority to issue an order banning open carry in the entire building. However, many DO anyway. I have this problem with Judge Sanderson in Paducah, Ky. Even when I pointed to the law and AGO that clearly spelled it out to her she refused to change the order. I would ask the sheriff to print you a copy of the judicial order barring carry in the courthouse if it is, in fact, not solely occupied by the court of justice. There is an AGO explaining the law that allows the Court of Justice to issue these types of orders, though I can't recall which. Perhaps Gutshot would be kind enough to hint at it.

Last edited:

Zlatko Skuljan

I am trying to find out where i can find legal info on OCing in a courthouse and jails, detention facilities.....I cannot find KRS anywhere for open carry in these places, however i have been told by courthouse security they will not allow you to OCarry in these places. Can anyone tell me anything on the subject.>>??

KRS 237.110 will explain what you need to know

KYGlockster

Activist Member
This thread is old and dead. 237.110 is about nothing more than concealed carry and law that pertains to it. I now know there is no statute that discusses OC in a court of justice courthouse.