• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit Images at www.handgunlaw.us

Jared

Earlier, Gary Slider from www.handgunlaw.us was requesting permit images. He appreciates all that people have given him.

Please keep in mind that he is missing some images, if any of you have missing images, he would appreciate copies of them. I understand that some may feel uncomfortable with it, if so, that is fine.

I gave Gary two unedited copies of two carry permits I have because one of them most people do not have, he did a fine job editing my info out and putting fake info in. It is easier on him if he uas unedited copies.

Like I said, if you are uncomfortable with it, that's fine; however, I sent him unedited copies because I've known Gary since his admin days on www.packing.org from almost a decade ago. He's not going to run off with your info if you choose to send him unedited permits.

www.handgunlaw.us likes to be very thorough and he views it as legit since state ID images and passport images and the like are always put on government websites, not to mention, it's a great tool for LEO's who may not know what out of state permits look like.

mrjam2jab

In the state of Alabama, we have no less than 67 different pistol licenses.

How is that possible if the permit is supposed to be designed by the Secretary of State?

AL 13A-11-75 said:
The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license.

beebobby

I was under the impression that they were pretty much standardized, at least within the state, like DLs.

eye95

How is that possible if the permit is supposed to be designed by the Secretary of State?

Alabama has a unique system called "local laws" whereby laws are passed by the legislature that affect a single city or county. If such a law is passed after the law you cited, it can overrule that law for the locality for which it was passed.

For example, the law you cited states that the fee for a CPL is $1. In Montgomery County, I paid $20. That is because a local law set the fee for Montgomery County at $20 and superseded -75.

In Montgomery, the CPL looks very much like a modern driver's license, with the photo and data embedded in the plastic. No way that can be done in triplicate. However, paper copies can be made of the license to satisfy the State law. Also the form prescribed by the secretary of state can be as simple as a list of requirements that the document must meet, not necessarily a pre-printed form.

Gary Slider

In many states where local authorities issue the Permit/License they have their own format. Wyoming AG by law was to supply a format for those issued by local authorities. I can't find it and in Wyoming they use different formats. PA issued different formats but with their new law going into effect around 5/1/11 they should all be the same format now. But when Local authorities issue the permit/license many use their own format. California, Alabama, West Virginia use different formats county to county. Others do also.

When State Agencies issue them they are usually all the same. LA, KS, VA, SC and FL are examples of state agencies that issue the permit/license. My permit/license in WV is actually 6" X 8". They shrink it down and give me one for my wallet but it is just a piece of paper laminated. No Photo. Other counties in WV issue the Plastic Drivers License type Permit/License and Have been told some have a photo on them.

But if you have a permit/license that is in use and it isn't on your state page I would love to have a scan of it. I am working on another file to show all of these different permit/licenses. If you scan it and blackout or remove part of the info I ask that if possible you leave the first and last letter of each line. This shows me the size and type of font used. The background images if the permit/License has one is the hardest thing to reproduce. But anything you send me would be appreciated. If you would send them to garyslider XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX at XXXXXXXXXXXXXX suddenlink.net it would be even better as then the images are in my home email and easier to work with. Thanks you and

Ruby

Alabama has a unique system called "local laws" whereby laws are passed by the legislature that affect a single city or county. If such a law is passed after the law you cited, it can overrule that law for the locality for which it was passed.

For example, the law you cited states that the fee for a CPL is $1. In Montgomery County, I paid $20. That is because a local law set the fee for Montgomery County at $20 and superseded -75.

In Montgomery, the CPL looks very much like a modern driver's license, with the photo and data embedded in the plastic. No way that can be done in triplicate. However, paper copies can be made of the license to satisfy the State law. Also the form prescribed by the secretary of state can be as simple as a list of requirements that the document must meet, not necessarily a pre-printed form.

I think that would be confusing as hell. Hopefully, all those places that issue their own honor others in the state. Washington has state preemption with 1 kind of CPL (concealed pistol license), thank God. The state legislature is the only authority to pass gun laws. You may have heard about the ruckus that was raised when Seattle Mayor (former, now) Nickels tried to enforce a gun ban in Seattle parks. It went to court and the Mayor lost. Ours does not have a picture, but it is tied to our DL. If you are stopped by LE and they run your DL, the officer will be notified at that time that you have a CPL.

since9

Campaign Veteran
You may have heard about the ruckus that was raised when Seattle Mayor (former, now) Nickels tried to enforce a gun ban in Seattle parks. It went to court and the Mayor lost.

I did hear about that one. He's gone? :lol: Justice is served, and it appears he learned the hard way that no one is above the law.

As for the permit database... What's the point? Are LEO's really going to use it? I don't think they even can, as it's not an "official source of information.

Even if the webmaster won't post personal information, I'm afraid my original copy would be somewhere on his hard drive, so if he were ever taken down, for whatever reason, there it would be, and would be added (probably illegal, but added nonetheless) to whoever's database took him down.

eye95

I think that would be confusing as hell. Hopefully, all those places that issue their own honor others in the state. Washington has state preemption with 1 kind of CPL (concealed pistol license), thank God. The state legislature is the only authority to pass gun laws. You may have heard about the ruckus that was raised when Seattle Mayor (former, now) Nickels tried to enforce a gun ban in Seattle parks. It went to court and the Mayor lost. Ours does not have a picture, but it is tied to our DL. If you are stopped by LE and they run your DL, the officer will be notified at that time that you have a CPL.

All counties in Alabama do honor the CPLs from other counties. -75 does not allow otherwise--and Alabama has preemption, which is why "local laws" passed by the legislature were necessary to set the fees for each county.