• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Bad OC encounter today...

Dahwg

I stopped by sportsman's warehouse in Tucson because I had some time to kill. I and my four-year-old son did our business and as I was strapping him into his car seat, a scraggly-looking long-haired skinny weenie-looking guy opens his card door and shouts out, "you look stupid with that gun on your side." He shut his door and drove off in a hurry. Here's the kick, the guy sounded amazingly whiny when he said it...almost like he was about to cry. Honestly it didn't bug me all that much rather, I was taken aback given the fact that this is AZ. Never had quite that reaction to OC, it was almost comical. Really? If you're that scared to confront me because you find me and my four-year-old that much of a threat, why even bother saying anything? It was a drive-by shouting!

I'm guessing that this all has to do with the recent tragedy here. I later realized that this was the store Loughner bought his Glock. I'm guessing he was some left-wing whack job that went there to look at the evil people that would dare sell anyone a gun. I guess that's what we're going to have to deal with for a while until things get back to normal.

1245A Defender

well,,

that is typical,,, crap!!!!
whats weired, is that the shooter went to a wally world to buy ammo and
he was refused!!!!
so he told his cabby to take him to another wally world,
and he was able to buy the ammo he wanted to get!
why was one wally world turning down his sale, but another sold him his ammo?

Bluegrass

Officer: "Sir, does this look like the man that accosted you?"

DavidVanDriessen.jpg

Sonora Rebel

that is typical,,, crap!!!!
whats weired, is that the shooter went to a wally world to buy ammo and
he was refused!!!!
so he told his cabby to take him to another wally world,
and he was able to buy the ammo he wanted to get!
why was one wally world turning down his sale, but another sold him his ammo?

Slow service. Apparently he became impatient and left. (So sayeth the local KOLD news report...)

28kfps

It appears to me my open carry firearm is attracting more looks in the past few days. No comments when they do see it yet. My thought, now is the time to do mass open carry every chance in all states where it is legal. Thinking the more open legal guns seen in public the sooner they will realize the shooter was a single screwed up freak and not the average Joe carrying that did the shooting. However, I guess there is the possibility this action could have a slight backfire affect.

Last edited:

MK

The thing I find both positve and interesting about this encounter is that the man didn't feel threatened by the sight of your firearm and correctly figured it was totally safe to insult you. So he already has it in his mind that people who openly carry their firearms are safe people to be around or at least you gave off that impression. If he had any residual fears about it, odds are that he wouldn't have attempted to insult you.

Northerner

I support you AZ guys 100%. I OC 90% of the time here in NC. I hope this is not in poor taste, but I have a question more out of curiosity, has anyone OC'ed at the Tucson Safeway and general vicinity since the shooting? Is there still a strong anti 2a or LEO presence?

28kfps

The thing I find both positve and interesting about this encounter is that the man didn't feel threatened by the sight of your firearm and correctly figured it was totally safe to insult you. So he already has it in his mind that people who openly carry their firearms are safe people to be around or at least you gave off that impression. If he had any residual fears about it, odds are that he wouldn't have attempted to insult you.

That is a great point. Verbally assaulting a person with a gun. Kind of like getting into a pond armed with a stick that has an 18 foot alligator. You know either the alligator is tame and not hungry or you are a brain dead idiot. Love the statement drive by shouting.

Last edited:

Dahwg

The biggest insult I would have taken from it would be assuming I was carrying a Glock...You weren't were you? :D

Nope.. no Glocks, I carry a CZ P-01, makes anyone that shoots it get a goofy smile. If I were going to get a polymer pistol it would be a Springfield XDM in the .45 flavor.

Yeah, I noticed that he was awfully bold to be saying that, and as I think I said the shooter bought his gun at this Sportsman's Warehouse.

The Safeway recently re-opened after being repaired so I haven't been there yet- there are grocery stores much closer.

So far as an overall anti sentiment, I stopped by the bank last Tuesday and one of the girls in there said, "wish you'd have been at the Safeway Saturday, thanks for wearing that thing in here. We look forward to your weekly visits here." Her manager jokingly added "We're thinking of getting you a desk so that you can do whatever work you need whenever you want." They went on to tell me that one of the other branches was robbed a month earlier at about the exact same time as I was in their branch. They said that between my OC visits and all the cops that stop to do their paperwork in their parking lot they feel very safe. So I guess the answer is that most Arizonans know that guns save lives.

Dahwg

Speaking of saving lives, and a little off-topic, have you all noticed the reports from the people that tackled the shooter all seem like they are very gun savvy? The lady that grabbed his mag, called it a magazine, not a clip-even when the talking heads kept calling it a clip, she continued to call it a magazine. The two guys that tackled him did so after (in their words) "noticing the slide locked back". Gun people who know how guns work, know when it is safest to go hand to hand with a psychotic shooter.

Conversely, and quite thankfully, the shooter was no gun pro. Figure that it reports say the mags were in his pocket and he had to fish for them during the shooting. I guess we can be thankful that he probably had never heard of a tactical reload drill. Too bad he didn't limp wrist it and get a FTF.

XD40coyote

It appears to me my open carry firearm is attracting more looks in the past few days. No comments when they do see it yet. My thought, now is the time to do mass open carry every chance in all states where it is legal. Thinking the more open legal guns seen in public the sooner they will realize the shooter was a single screwed up freak and not the average Joe carrying that did the shooting. However, I guess there is the possibility this action could have a slight backfire affect.

I had thought the exact same thing, but it's a tad cold in southern PA these days lately, today it was 12F when I left from the restaurant I OC in time to time in warmer weather. Not like I am going to walk around in daylight either with below freezing temps being the norm. Maybe I should make a drop leg holster? Of course no one ever seems to notice when I OC, or if they do they never say anything negative. I bet they notice with a drop leg though!

Lately my only OCing has been in the house near the nice warm wood stove.

Pace

Again, how is this a "bad" OC encounter. Grow a pair of balls. I have people tell me things all the time, part of being an adult. People have a right to express themselves vocally as much as you have a right to carry.

And perhaps you do look stupid with the gun on the side, because you were wearing a tu-tu and a cowboy hat with a 6-shooter. I dunno.

Point is that I don't give a crap about what people say, I care about the law, the 2A. The rest is stupid.

I stopped by sportsman's warehouse in Tucson because I had some time to kill. I and my four-year-old son did our business and as I was strapping him into his car seat, a scraggly-looking long-haired skinny weenie-looking guy opens his card door and shouts out, "you look stupid with that gun on your side." He shut his door and drove off in a hurry. Here's the kick, the guy sounded amazingly whiny when he said it...almost like he was about to cry. Honestly it didn't bug me all that much rather, I was taken aback given the fact that this is AZ. Never had quite that reaction to OC, it was almost comical. Really? If you're that scared to confront me because you find me and my four-year-old that much of a threat, why even bother saying anything? It was a drive-by shouting!

I'm guessing that this all has to do with the recent tragedy here. I later realized that this was the store Loughner bought his Glock. I'm guessing he was some left-wing whack job that went there to look at the evil people that would dare sell anyone a gun. I guess that's what we're going to have to deal with for a while until things get back to normal.

Last edited: