• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tell me what you think of this Article!

CalicoJack10

Let's go buy a gun?

Over the course of the last week, and following the tragedy in Arizona the debate on gun laws has gotten very heated. It is easy to see from an outside prospective that this is a one sided debate. There are groups and politicians out there that are screaming for harsher gun laws and more bans on weapons, parts, and ammunition. But it seems that the pro gun side of the debate is rather quiet. Of course you have your forums and individuals out there that talk at length about these items, but as a whole, most of the pro gunners are stating their opinions in private. Even the National Rifle Association seems to have little to say on the matter of gun control at this point.

For many years people have discussed and argued the idea of gun control in America. And for the most part it always comes back to the same two ideals. Either guns are all evil, or they are the saving grace of our society. No matter what side people apply their beliefs to, they argue it as passionately as if they were discussing religion. But there is a hidden truth to gun control. This truth goes far beyond the ideals that we fight over, and has roots back as far as the 1860's. It shows our real beliefs and how we really feel about ourselves, our government, and our fellow Americans.

It is not about things like "Less guns mean less crime" or "If guns cause crime then pencils cause misspelled words," It is about remembering that gun control came about as a result of racism and the desire to suppress "Inferior peoples". It is about seeing that while the pro gun community is focusing on their concern for the well being of the victims of the tragedy in Arizona, and their families, others are out there using this tragedy as a launching pad for their political agendas.

At this point the the anti gun movement talks of concern for the American Public, but true concern for the American public is not being talked about, but shown by the pro gunners. That raises the question "Who is more concerned about the safety and well being of the people?" As history has shown us, an armed society is dangerous to criminals. All over the world and throughout history when a society wanted to make its people submissive, they started by disarming them. There has been no society that has been safe from this. Feudal Japan, the Roman Empire, the British (especially with the American colonies), and even Germany with the reign of Adolf Hitler, have all sought to disarm those that would stand up for themselves and what they believe in. Though these are just a few examples of course, these societies have had one other major thing in common. They have all fallen, no matter how mighty they were.

America has always been a country that will stand up and fight for what they believe in. From the days of our founding fathers, to the present military, there is a constant belief that it is the responsibility of all American's to fight for the freedoms that we enjoy. This belief is exemplified in every soldier, sailor, airman, and marine that gives his or her life in the service of our nation. But America has also given way to people that believed that our rights to defend ourselves should be at the sole discretion of the government. What these same people don't realize is that when the government was founded, it was a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

There has never been a better example of what that means than on September 11th, 2001. New Yorkers did not stop to see what the government was going to do to help their fellow Americans; they took personal responsibility and started digging through the rubble for survivors. And in the days following, there were so many volunteers to help with the search for survivors and cleanup of the rubble that they had to start turning people away. I was one that was there, and I saw this amazing outreach to help our fellow American's first hand. There were columns of American's that were dozens wide, and stretching for miles in every possible direction. I saw firsthand that there was no limit to the number of American's that were ready and willing to take up arms and visit a swift fate on those that brought this horror to our shores. I watched as gun sales soared, and the anti gun movement stayed silent. And since those days, I have shared a coffee or beers with more people than I can count that are still willing to stand and fight for America.

Whether someone chooses to own a gun or not, the truth is that taking them away is nothing more than leaving us defenseless against those that would do us harm. We have always been a country that allows people to exercise the freedoms that this country was founded on, even when we don't agree with the use of those freedoms. As such there is no need to fight over any one freedom unless you intend on fighting over them all.

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Is a statement that has sparked so much debate that it has caused near hatred in our nation. Though in these debates you almost never hear someone focus on the fact that it is a statement that was designed to highlight the responsibility of all American's to secure the freedoms of our nation, because we have become dependent on those that would do it for us.

America is now, and has always been a nation that will stand up for itself. We have always been a nation that has stood for the rights of others, even if we did not agree with those rights. We have always been a nation that was founded on our god given rights as human beings, as opposed to our rites according to what someone else tells us. We are a nation that has fought throughout history to stop oppression and subjugation. We are a nation that stands together when we need to in order to maintain the ideals that founded this country.

So does it really matter what someone thinks we should believe is in the best interest of our nation, or should we believe the actions that people put forth?

Should we go buy a gun?

Last edited:

aluminum3

Nice article....

EXCEPT for this minor item..... 4th paragraph, first sentence doesnt make sense to me.. might just be me, lol

You fixed it! Makes much better sense to me now.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

I think you need to revise your post immediately!!! You have violated both the author's and the publisher's copyright.

Apparently I was mistaken. My Apologies to CalicoJack10.

Last edited:

Red Dawg

Pretty good article

Out of curiosity, what is the plan for this article? Send it to some newspapers? What kind of editorial are you planning? I'm just asking, It's good, but is preaching to the choir here though.

I have some theories on who does and does not like guns:

1. Where/how were you raised? Country boy/girl, hunting and fishing with family members??
2. Did a loved on get shot, or other with a gun?
3. Were guns an accepted part of your household?
4. What were you told as a youngster about guns?

Just things I think about and try and understand about guns. Not everyone raised up arms against Britain. Some fed the troops, and housed them...

CalicoJack10

Nice article....

EXCEPT for this minor item..... 4th paragraph, first sentence doesnt make sense to me.. might just be me, lol

I have corrected this, does it make more sense now?

I think you need to revise your post immediately!!! You have violated both the author's and the publisher's copyright.

I am the author, and aside from posting it here, there is no publication of it.

Out of curiosity, what is the plan for this article? Send it to some newspapers? What kind of editorial are you planning? I'm just asking, It's good, but is preaching to the choir here though.

I have some theories on who does and does not like guns:

1. Where/how were you raised? Country boy/girl, hunting and fishing with family members??
2. Did a loved on get shot, or other with a gun?
3. Were guns an accepted part of your household?
4. What were you told as a youngster about guns?

Just things I think about and try and understand about guns. Not everyone raised up arms against Britain. Some fed the troops, and housed them...

Well, my intention is to submit it to opinion pages and such. And I grew up in an anti gun house within the inner city, and many of the kids that I was friends with were gang bangers that were gunned down. There was no hunting allowed, and I was just told that guns were bad. But regardless of all of that my grandfather insisted that I learn how to shoot. Then I became a Law Enforcement Explorer, and shooting was a part of that. As far as Britain, those that wanted freedom all stood for what they believed in some way or another, even the ones who knew it would cost them their lives.

I tend to write these things when I am tired, so I figured I would take a past suggestion and post it here first to get a few opinions on it, at least to make sure it made sense.

Last edited: