• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wholesale Sports Silverdale new sign OC not ok

fire suppressor

I was in wholesale sports last week to pick up some basic supplies and was shocked when I saw the new signs posted just inside the entrance. I'm not sure how new the signs are I have not been in the store for a while. I try not to shop there too much anymore at least for me personally I feel the store has really fallen apart with the new owners that took it over a few years ago. I use to OC there all the time but I guess not anymore. Hope The image size is ok for everyone after playing on photobucket for a while I could either make it way to big or a little small I got tiered of playing with it.

IMG_20110111_160142-2-1.jpg

Hammer

I may need to wander down to my local Wholesale Sports store just to see if they are sporting the same sign. I hope not, but if they are, as a CPL holder, I would be carrying open, and leave it in its holster as is lawful to do. It'd be a shame for them to lose my business, as I have bought several large ticket items there, and aplenty smaller ones.

Squeak

As been said, 'it's private property and they make the rules'. I don't have to shop there either. Can they say NO KIDS, they must be left in the car. Or no wheel chairs, people get their toes run over. Well, yes they can and they would loose business if they did.

massivedesign

It might just be a general sign that has gone up in all of their stores nationwide? They don't always tailor signs to specific areas. OC is still not widely known enough for most marketing people to make the signs appropriate.

A simple discussion, phone call etc with the Manager or corporate will probably tell the complete story.

cbpeck

I agree with massivedesign.

I'm not convinced that this is directed at OC, though I do understand why you're reading it that way.

Wholesale Sports - at least in my neighborhood - maintains the same carry rules that Sportsman's Warehouse & Cabelas did/does.

This sign exempts sidearms carried for self defense, it just doesn't include OC... yet. I'd bet they just want you to check in that new rifle or shotgun that is being test fitted to a case. If I were you I'd try to get OC added to the list of OK's rather than starting a boycott.

I doubt very seriously that Wholesale Sports would ask you not to OC. I OC quite regularly in my local Wholesale Sports without incident. I did so just the other day, in fact. Then again, the new owners are Canadian. :cry:

Trigger Dr

Not much difference from the original sign. The exception being the addition of "CHL,CCW,CFP. What are those? In Wa. we have a CPL. And the sign goes on "carried in a law abiding manner" I would just continue to OC, as I just as you are, wouls be carring in a law abiding manner and our state does not issue a CHL, CCW, or CFP.

Lovenox

Stop the paralysis by analysis!!! Just dont shop there. I just called them and they said they allow OC in the store. If you are to try different holsters then you must unload prior to coming into the store. These threads get too long for no reason. 360-307-6900

Squeak

We're all going to do what we want. But the sign does say ALL guns. Why is it even posted if you can still enter carrying?

amlevin

We're all going to do what we want. But the sign does say ALL guns. Why is it even posted if you can still enter carrying?

That's the funny thing about corporations. Their lawyer probably wrote the text for the sign and someone in the organization decided to send it out to all stores. Didn't matter what the local laws allowed, just "one size fits all".

Frankly, I haven't found anything in their store that I just have to have. Their prices for what I used to buy there are too high and their stock, if any is next to nothing. I've found "other sources".

CenTex

Stop the paralysis by analysis!!! Just dont shop there. I just called them and they said they allow OC in the store. If you are to try different holsters then you must unload prior to coming into the store. These threads get too long for no reason. 360-307-6900

Did I miss you being elected as the thread length controller and decider of what is relevant or not? No?

Best I can tell, these threads can go on just as long as anyone wants to post and the moderators and administrators permit it.

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

Ok, I didn't read through every post thoroughly, so I don't know if it's been addressed already, but I have an answer.

After the first time I saw this sign and I was OCing, I patiently waited at the customer service counter for about 15 minutes. Once it was my turn, I politely asked about the sign and they explained it to me. They stated that if you are going to unholster your firearm, it must be cleared, locked back and tied. If the firearm is not going to be unholstered, you're fine to wear it as if nothing had changed. I have shopped there many times since the sign went up and have never had a problem.

Mainsail

I read the sign several times and I still don't see where it says you cannot open carry. Am I missing something? It looks like the same policy they've always had. They may have overlooked the concept of open carry but I don't see the wording on the sign prohibiting it.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
I read the sign several times and I still don't see where it says you cannot open carry. Am I missing something? It looks like the same policy they've always had. They may have overlooked the concept of open carry but I don't see the wording on the sign prohibiting it.

I think they're interpreting this statement as prohibiting OC.

...must be emptied and checked in if removed from concealed position.

Of course, if you walk in while OC'ing, you wouldn't actually be removing it from a concealed position.

Metalhead47

w0rd. Y'all are making much ado about nothing UNTIL someone is actually harassed for OC in one of their stores. I was in the Burlington store today for a good half hour or more, talked to one of the guys at the gun counter, not a word or even a glance toward my sidearm, and never have had while there. Like someone said, this is just a catch-all policy written by some lawyer in another state to cover the whole company. Multi-state companies have been known to do such things. If someone has the overwhelming desire to be a nudge over this, I'd say contact the corporate office and ask to yell at the lawyer responsible.

fire suppressor

LOL! It makes me laugh when I post something actually on topic it irritates so many people but when people post threads completely off topic the thread turns into a chat room. I guess we don't all read signs the same way maybe that's why I posted it to get as many different opinions as people wanted to give

Last edited:

fire suppressor

"must be emptied and checked in if removed from concealed position"

I'm sure we have had this conversation on here before but in my mind keeping a gun out on my hip in a holster is not conceal carry

Squeak

The sign wasn't there the last time I visited the store. It was early 2010. And as the sign says, 'unload ALL guns.....' . I don't think you could say they are OC friendly. If they do allow OC, state so on the sign. He said she said doesn't work that way.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
w0rd. <snip> Like someone said, this is just a catch-all policy written by some lawyer in another state to cover the whole company. Multi-state companies have been known to do such things. If someone has the overwhelming desire to be a nudge over this, I'd say contact the corporate office and ask to yell at the lawyer responsible.

Nope. The holding company for Wholesale Sports (purchased Sportsman Warehouse) is a Canadian company.

1. Washington residents are screwed, because the exception only applies to CHL/CCW/CFP holders. If you only have a Washington CPL, like I do, the exception does not apply because I do not possess a CHL, CCW, or CFP. So, by the exact lettering of the sign, I have to unload my gun and check it in.

Nope. Washington residents have a "Licence to carry concealed pistol" (LCCP) So I am not sure what you have LT??? :confused::confused::rolleyes:

(p.s. I have an OR CHL, so I am good to go)

Trigger Dr

Nope. The holding company for Wholesale Sports (purchased Sportsman Warehouse) is a Canadian company.

Nope. Washington residents have a "Licence to carry concealed pistol" (LCCP) So I am not sure what you have LT??? :confused::confused::rolleyes:

(p.s. I have an OR CHL, so I am good to go)

And I have a ATCF (authorization to carry firearms) issued under authority of LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act) which is good nation wide.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Somebody talk to management there - ask them to modify the sign to say what they probably intend - to keep handguns holstered, or, unload and check them. all the other bog box chains have done so for us already.