• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

milwaukee Liberal news, Debating Concealed Carry

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Issue of the Week: Debating Concealed Carry
http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/article-13536-issue-of-the-week-debating-concealed-carry.html
By Shepherd Express Staff

After the tragedy in Arizona, we are asking Wisconsin lawmakers, who will be introducing legislation to allow people to carry concealed weapons into restaurants and churches, to take a careful look at who, exactly, should be able to own guns and carry them in a concealed manner. We are asking the Republican lawmakers to please listen to those on the front lines, our police chiefs and elected district attorneys, when they craft their legislation.

It’s been widely reported that accused assassin Jared Loughner bought his Glock 19 and ammunition legally. Even after being suspended from community college and being told to get a mental health evaluation, Loughner was able to pass an instant background check and purchase a semiautomatic weapon.

But it’s been less widely reported that Arizona has some of the most lax gun control laws in the country. Arizona Republicans have enacted a number of laws that enable more residents to carry guns in more places. Arizona is now one of just three states that do not require a permit to carry concealed weapons. Guns are allowed in bars and restaurants (if the gun owner isn’t drinking), on school grounds when picking up or dropping off a child, and inside government buildings and the state Capitol. Workers can take their guns to work if they keep them in their locked cars, even if their workplace bans firearms. A Washington Post investigation found that Arizona is a “net exporter” of guns that are seized in crimes, meaning that guns purchased in that state are being used in crimes elsewhere.

According to gun-lobby logic, with all of these guns on Arizona’s streets, a fast-acting concealed weapon carrier should have taken down Loughner. Instead, fast-acting bystanders foiled the shooter without pulling out their weapons as Loughner attempted to reload his Glock.

We’re fully expecting that Wisconsin Republicans will introduce some sort of firearms legislation during this session. We’re asking them to carefully consider the impact of more guns on the streets of Wisconsin—because an Arizona-style free-for-all isn’t going to keep Wisconsin residents safer.

M

McX

who gives a rat's butt what the left says; article made me jealous though, the list of places they can carry.

anmut

http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/article-13536-issue-of-the-week-debating-concealed-carry.html

After the tragedy in Arizona, we are asking Wisconsin lawmakers, who will be introducing legislation to allow people to carry concealed weapons into restaurants and churches, to take a careful look at who, exactly, should be able to own guns and carry them in a concealed manner. We are asking the Republican lawmakers to please listen to those on the front lines, our police chiefs and elected district attorneys, when they craft their legislation.

It’s been widely reported that accused assassin Jared Loughner bought his Glock 19 and ammunition legally. Even after being suspended from community college and being told to get a mental health evaluation, Loughner was able to pass an instant background check and purchase a semiautomatic weapon.

But it’s been less widely reported that Arizona has some of the most lax gun control laws in the country. Arizona Republicans have enacted a number of laws that enable more residents to carry guns in more places. Arizona is now one of just three states that do not require a permit to carry concealed weapons. Guns are allowed in bars and restaurants (if the gun owner isn’t drinking), on school grounds when picking up or dropping off a child, and inside government buildings and the state Capitol. Workers can take their guns to work if they keep them in their locked cars, even if their workplace bans firearms. A Washington Post investigation found that Arizona is a “net exporter” of guns that are seized in crimes, meaning that guns purchased in that state are being used in crimes elsewhere.

According to gun-lobby logic, with all of these guns on Arizona’s streets, a fast-acting concealed weapon carrier should have taken down Loughner. Instead, fast-acting bystanders foiled the shooter without pulling out their weapons as Loughner attempted to reload his Glock.

We’re fully expecting that Wisconsin Republicans will introduce some sort of firearms legislation during this session. We’re asking them to carefully consider the impact of more guns on the streets of Wisconsin—because an Arizona-style free-for-all isn’t going to keep Wisconsin residents safer.

That article needs some correction. A man with a concealed weapon clicked off his safety and ran towards the shooting only to find that the gunman's weapon had jammed and he had already been disarmed.

TyGuy

It's a good thing that I live in IL. We have some of the most strict gun laws, the strictest when it comes to carrying (NO carry). Thankfully there is 0 gun violence here, thanks to all of those laws.

If only every state would follow suit, the entire nation would be a much safer place. THINK OF THE CHILDREN

**woah, Mayor Daley just possessed my body for a minute there....where am I?

protias

It's a good thing that I live in IL. We have some of the most strict gun laws, the strictest when it comes to carrying (NO carry). Thankfully there is 0 gun violence here, thanks to all of those laws.

If only every state would follow suit, the entire nation would be a much safer place. THINK OF THE CHILDREN

You are in the WI subforum. How did you get here? Go back to IL subforum! :p

JK, stay as long as you want. :)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
That article needs some correction. A man with a concealed weapon clicked off his safety and ran towards the shooting only to find that the gunman's weapon had jammed and he had already been disarmed.

Yes, they should get all of the facts straight. We need to write in and let them know.

The interesting thing about this story is that it shows that they know they've lost this battle. THEY are the ones trying to make the compromise this time and not us. They are; albeit in a restrained manner, begging for conservative lawmakers to pay attention to them. The roll has been reversed.

Carcharodon

"A Washington Post investigation found that Arizona is a “net exporter” of guns that are seized in crimes, meaning that guns purchased in that state are being used in crimes elsewhere."

And here I was thinking all crime guns came from Milwaukee and the Green Bay online dealer!

bigdaddy1

Libtard rantings can create fear and panic in the timid. While we can discard their diatribe as the crap it really is, not everyone has more brain cells than a pine board. The liberal voice unfortunately tends to be the loudest and thus the most heard. History should show us their fear mongering can produce the results they seek, so we do need to stand vigilant.

M

McX

local paper this am says left trying to capitalize on frenzy over shooting, but not getting anywhere in the congress, nor the white house. if a left falls in the forest, and there's no one from the government there to hear it, does it make a bill (before congress)?

Yooper

Listen to the police chiefs, but not the sheriffs. It's been long proven that MOST polices chiefs are anti-gun due to their appointed status, where as sheriff's are usually pro-gun. Of course, there's always exceptions to every rule.

RR_Broccoli

You are in the WI subforum. How did you get here? Go back to IL subforum! :p

JK, stay as long as you want. :)

He got here the way every other Illinoisian does. Recognizing it's a better place, then proceeding here at high speed in a very large vehicle. It's Friday, that's when they often start showing up. :lol:

Anyway, I hope the IL guys are having as much success as we are up here. It'd be nice not to have a huge cultural rift so close by. That'll cause problems with 911 calls I think.

Last edited:
M

McX

seems like the police are jealous of anyone whos level of ability to protect themselves meets or exceeds theirs, and the Sheriff's recognize the Constitution, and appreciate the citizen, his rights, and all the help they (the sheriff) can get.

keepyourreceipt

Anyone else ever notice how anti-gun rights people always use the "I don't want guns at restaurants, churches and my children's little league game" argument? Anyone else find that sickening and manipulative? I mean, what about these places mean you aren't allowed to defend yourself???

NakedOne

LOL! Me too! I should be moving to arizona!

My wife and I have a trip planned for April for that reason! Just to check into a few options out there for us. It's been in the works for 3-4 months, and yes Constitutional Carry did play a factor for me at least, but then so did the snow blower that refuses to start until it feels like running!

Now when Wisconsin gets Constitutional carry I may have a harder choice to make.

jpm84092

I should probably move to Chicago - just to be safe!

Congratulations to you Sir. But, as safe as you claim your State is, I prefer to live here in the Wild Wild West - where law abiding citizens carry firearms despite the risks that your State's Laws have eliminated. But, I do have a question. How do the pro-gun supporters get away with skewing the firearm death statistics to show that your State has higher murder-per-1000-person rate than the States with lax firearm laws. Clearly, those statistics must be lies because your State prohibits all but LEO from carrying firearms for personal protection.

When you answer that I will gladly surrender my 4 concealed carry permits and my Utah Concealed Firearm Instructor Permit and move into the heart of the most gun-safe city in the USA - Chicago.

Jim