Thread: More Bills to watch

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

More Bills to watch

Gunowners, especially members of this site, use FOIA quite often and have found some of the pitfalls in trying to get information Government agencies don't want to part with.

These are a few of the FOIA Bills in the works (Both good and bad):

HB 1457
    R. Marshall
    Committee referral pending
    Provides that public employees may be terminated or otherwise disciplined for knowing and willful violations of FOIA.

HB 1479
    Loupassi
    Courts of Justice
    Provides that the affidavit for a search warrant may be made publicly available only after the warrant that is the subject of the affidavit has been served.

attorneys and governmental agencies as authorized by the clerk. HB 1566
    LeMunyon (co-sponsored by Keam)
    Provides that, beginning with the 2012 Regular Session of the General Assembly, the Legislative Support Commissio must post on the legislative electronic information system (LIS) the recorded committee, subcommittee, and floor votes of each member of the General Assembly on legislation acted upon in each house.

HB 1722
    R. Marshall
    Requires that at the time of creation of any public record, the custodian of such records that are subject to FOIA shall designate whether the record is subject to FOIA's mandatory disclosure provisions or otherwise exempt from disclosure. The bill requires that such designation shall appear on the face of the record and be updated by the custodian in a timely manner in the event of any changes. (more...)

SB 826
    Edwards
    Courts of Justice
    Provides that it is a Class 6 felony for a person to publish on the Internet a photograph or video made in violation of the current law prohibiting photographing, etc., a nonconsenting person in certain situations where there is an expectation of privacy.

SB 845
    Petersen
    Courts of Justice
    Provides that local officials who are members of public bodies with legislative powers are immune from civil liability or criminal prosecution for any speech or debate engaged in by the officials during the exercise of such powers, and that they shall not be compelled by law to be questioned on such speech or debate in any other place without leave of court. The public body still retains its authority to regulate the conduct of its members.

Another off-topic bill I would like to have passed.

I know this is not gun related but I believe this bill may be more important to our rights than any other.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...111+ful+HB1506

pm me to learn more about how the banking industry has defrauded their customers and the taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    I know this is not gun related but I believe this bill may be more important to our rights than any other.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...111+ful+HB1506

pm me to learn more about how the banking industry has defrauded their customers and the taxpayers.
    I have that one on my watchlist RR. It is an important bill. I wish this wasn't a short session.

Another bill some of you may be interested in is SB 850, which will allow Sunday hunting in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    Another bill some of you may be interested in is SB 850, which will allow Sunday hunting in Virginia.
    It would be nice but I'm not seeing much support.

Right now I'm more interested in killing the Falconer and Bear hunter bills. They are numbers two and three on the hit list.

J3 Enforcement bill? SB 1162

What do you think about a bill that would grant full-blown arrest powers to ABC agents?

SB 1162 Criminal procedure warrantless arrest.

Gives authority to special agents of the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control to arrest, without a warrant, any person who commits any crime in the presence of the agent and any person whom he has reasonable grounds or probable cause to suspect of having committed a felony not in his presence.

Tracking you, tracking you

Various GPS bills this year, including:

HB 2320 Electronic tracking devices in opposition research; penalty.

Prohibits a person from placing in or on a vehicle an electronic tracking device to track the location, movements, conduct, or activities of a person for use in opposition research. For the purposes of this bill, opposition research is defined as the gathering of information related to a personís activities to be disclosed for political purposes. A violation of this section is a Class 3 misdemeanor.

HB 2032 Electronic tracking devices; prohibits person from placing in or on vehicle, etc.

Prohibits a person from placing, through intentionally deceptive means, an electronic tracking device in or on a vehicle. The prohibition would not apply to law-enforcement officers, judicial officers, probation or parole officers, or employees of the Department of Corrections in the lawful performance of their duties or to parents or guardians of minors. A violation of the section is a Class 3 misdemeanor. This bill is a recommendation of the Joint Commission on Technology and Science.

Comments: I wonder what motivated Kathy Bryon to introduce HB 2320? Makes one wonder, doesn't it? As for HB2032, note the typical exemption for law enforcement.

I guess you could still hire a private Dick to track your spouse, for fidelity purposes, of course.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    What do you think about a bill that would grant full-blown arrest powers to ABC agents?

SB 1162 Criminal procedure warrantless arrest.
    It appears this bill is designed to qualify ABC agents to carry concealed firearms nationwide under LEOSA.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA