• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off topic

TyGuy

My wife and I are 95% convinced that we'll end up in Tennessee, most likely near Nashville somewhere. We'd like to be near a major city for museums and zoos, for our children.

I do want to buy some rural property, as I grew up in the corn fields up in IL. Plus, I'd love to have some land to shoot on.

Thanks for all of your help. Any other information that you wish to share would be most appreciated. I can't wait to leave such an oppressive state for one that still grants people the freedom to live.

HvyMtl

I live in the Nashville area, and can point you to some places that are nice...

PM me if you like more info.

I'll even point you to some good gun shops and shooting ranges.

TyGuy

Metal,

are there good public or business ranges in the area? I am hoping to get enough land that I can shoot on it, but I wouldn't mind using a range. I am a member of a sportsman club now because it's hard to find any affordable land to shoot on in IL. They use it all for agriculture.

TyGuy

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.

I just hope that I won't get too much crap for being a yankee. The good news is that I am originally from Texas.

TyGuy

I thought of a new question. Does TN issue out of state permits, or does TN honor out of state permits? I'd hate to be unarmed for the first few weeks that I move there, before I can get a residential permit.

Fallguy

I thought of a new question. Does TN issue out of state permits, or does TN honor out of state permits? I'd hate to be unarmed for the first few weeks that I move there, before I can get a residential permit.

TN only issues permits to non-residents if you have worked at least 30 hours a week in the state for the last 6 months.

If you have a permit from another state here http://tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/apprequirements.htm is TN's webpage on what the requirements are to get a TN permit. Some you are like a new applicant other's are just like making a renewal depending on the requirements were for the state the permit came from.

TN honors permits from all states, so I think (not 100% sure) that your out-of-state permit and the receipt of where you have applied for a permit/renewal will be good until the new permit comes in.

HvyMtl

Here is the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency's Stones River Education Center, which is the closest range to me, as I live in the Crossroads area (Antioch, Nashville, Brentwood, Cane Ridge, and Nolensville meet at the Crossroads, it is South East part of Davidson County.)

http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/stoneshunted.html

Range has some particular rules, like no character targets (ie. No Osama bin Laden pictures) and no human shaped targets. Gun has to be unloaded and inspected, and in a carry case to walk it in. Permit carry guns have to be unloaded and in a case, no carry allowed into the range. (Note: This range is focused more on hunting than personal protection.)

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/wildlife/tennessee/stones-river-hunter-education-center-and-gun-range
Is a light hearted video of the location done by the TWRA.

For handgun indoor ranges: I suggest looking at Guns and Leather.
http://www.gunsandleather.com/ They have two locations north of Nashville (Hendersonville and Greenbrier.) Greenbrier has the automated targets that move and turn. They also keep the ranges clean. Well ventilated.

http://tennessee.gov/safety/handgunmain.htm To add to what Fallguy posted, this is the general link to the State's Handgun Permit info.

Last edited:

HvyMtl

Oh, on another note: You will like other things here.

Like: Taxes. No state or local income taxes. Low property taxes. (Example" $450,000 home in suburb of Chicago is over $15k property tax, same price level home in Tennessee, 1500-2000...)

The sales tax is a bugger though at 9-10%.

Home values and property values here will are far better "bang for the buck" than up there.

TyGuy

Oh, on another note: You will like other things here.

Like: Taxes. No state or local income taxes. Low property taxes. (Example" $450,000 home in suburb of Chicago is over $15k property tax, same price level home in Tennessee, 1500-2000...)

The sales tax is a bugger though at 9-10%.

Home values and property values here will are far better "bang for the buck" than up there.

When you consider that I am near Chicago 8-11% sales tax is the norm.