• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off topic

TyGuy

If a moderator wants to remove this then go ahead, but please let me know.

This is not 2A related, but as a site that I frequent I was hoping to get some input from others in TN.

My wife and I have decided that within 3 years we will be moving to TN from IL. I have a few questions about the state, and I was hoping that some of you could help to answer them.

1) Am I correct in that there is OC and CC allowed in TN? Is a permit needed for either?
2) What about car carry?
3) What about shooting on one's property? Do I need to just check municipal and county laws to make sure that I can shoot on my property?
4) Does it regularly snow there or not?
5) Do people water their lawns? (I am looking for acreage, so I won't be tending all of it)
6) Do people mow their lawns?
7) How are the seasons?

Thanks!

WCrawford

If a moderator wants to remove this then go ahead, but please let me know.

This is not 2A related, but as a site that I frequent I was hoping to get some input from others in TN.

My wife and I have decided that within 3 years we will be moving to TN from IL. I have a few questions about the state, and I was hoping that some of you could help to answer them.

1) Am I correct in that there is OC and CC allowed in TN? Is a permit needed for either?
2) What about car carry?
3) What about shooting on one's property? Do I need to just check municipal and county laws to make sure that I can shoot on my property?
5) Do people water their lawns? (I am looking for acreage, so I won't be tending all of it)
7) How are the seasons?

Thanks!

Sorry for the slow response. I'm at work now and finally have a chance to post a reply. :)

1. Technically, the carrying of a firearm in TN is a crime. There are defenses to this, one being having a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). The HCP is required to carry any loaded handgun off of your own property (owned or rented). The HCP allows for either open or concealed carry of handguns, only.

2. Without a HCP, a loaded firearm may not be legally in a vehicle. Without an HCP, the firearm and ammunition must be separate. It is unclear to me if it is legally required for magazines to be unloaded or if at least 1 item (gun or ammo) must be inaccessible to the passengers. I'll allow someone more knowledgeable fill you in on that.

With an HCP, you may have a loaded gun in your vehicle or a long gun with ammunition as long as there in no round in the long gun's chamber.

3. Municipalities and county governments are allowed to regulate the discharge of firearms (and many do) for non-self defense situations. You will have to check the regulations and ordinances of the particular area. Sorry.

4. We seem to be getting snow about 2-3 times each winter. Usually it is a dusting here in Nashville. out in the plateau (to the east of Nashville) they get more snow more often. And, I can only speak about middle Tennessee. :)

5. I don't, and I live in the heart of Nashville. Other do. Its up to them.

6. That is determined by local ordinances as well. In most urban/suburban areas, I would expect that there would be some regulations that require mowed laws. They say these are for health reasons. Rural areas may be different.

7. We have 4 distinct seasons. Summers are hot and humid (in general), winters are generally mild (in comparison to Illinois).

What part of Illinois are you in? I happened to grow up in northern Illinois. I used to live in Aurora, IL until I joined the Army.

TyGuy

I'm from Elgin, but I live in Sycamore now. I work near Aurora though.

The hot humid summers are really the only scary part to me. I don't like the heat. I don't know if that is just something that I will have to deal with or not. Are any sections of the state less hot or humid than others? Do you find the summers there to be worse than the ones in Illinois?

TyGuy

Is the permit shall issue?

How much is it and how long is it good for?

utbob2004

The permit is "shall issue" if you meet the requirements of taking the 8 hour course (cost varies from 65-90 dollars depending on where you take it), pay 115 dollars to the state, get finger printed and wait. It is good for 4 years from the date they issue it, not the day you receive it. I live in West TN near Memphis myself. It is VERY HOT and VERY HUMID in the summer time here. It regularly gets near 100 degrees here and heat indexes in the 110-115 degree range (which is what it really feels like with the humidity). Alot of people move from up north to here due to our rather mild winters compared to N. Illinois winters. I have lived in East TN while going to college and found the weather there to be more enjoyable. The great thing about TN is how diverse the geography of the state really is. So just look around, you'll find somewhere in this state that you'll like being.

Last edited:

WCrawford

Ok, lets start this by saying that I left Illinois in '88, so my recollections may not be the greatest.

As a kid, I remember that most summers we had quite a few 100+ degree days. We don't get many of those usually, but the humidity is at least 10-20% higher, on average. August is the worst month, generall havving at least have the month of +90 degrees.

I'm sure the Knoxville and Chattanooga areas are a bit more mild in the summer, due to the proximity of the Smokey's, but someone from there would need to comment.

The permit is a $115 fee to the state plus the cost of the required training. The permit is good for 4 years and the renewal is $50 (no retraining needed). Permits are shall issue, but can be revoked easily if the police have it out for you (see Kwikrnu's case).

Ok, back to work for me... I'll check a bit later to see if you have more questions.

TyGuy

I was thinking something near hills or mountains would be more mild. If anyone from that direction could comment I would be most appreciative.

Oh Shoot

I was thinking something near hills or mountains would be more mild. If anyone from that direction could comment I would be most appreciative.

It's hot and humid everywhere in the state middle June-middle Sept.
Middle and West are the hottest.
West bout same as AL/MS/LA

East TN can be somewhat cooler as more mountain terrain 1500' and up.

If we didn't have the humidity thing in summer, everybody in the world would want to live here, and we'd have to stack people up like cordwood.

- OS

Last edited:

TyGuy

Darn. I can't seem to find the right place. TN is close to family, has great economic incentive for me to move there, but bad weather. WA state has the weather that I like, but their economy is broken, and it's FAR from my family.

TN is still at the top of my list, but I wish that I could find the perfect place.

So, Eastern TN offers no break from the heat?

WCrawford

Darn. I can't seem to find the right place. TN is close to family, has great economic incentive for me to move there, but bad weather. WA state has the weather that I like, but their economy is broken, and it's FAR from my family.

TN is still at the top of my list, but I wish that I could find the perfect place.

So, Eastern TN offers no break from the heat?

Its actually not that bad. I still remember it being more miserable in N. IL, than it is here in Nashville. If you work indoors, you will never experience the worst and the warm summer nights are great with the cool breezes.

I spent a summer in Phoenix... over 100 degrees at midnight. Now that was utter misery.

Oh Shoot

I spent a summer in Phoenix... over 100 degrees at midnight. Now that was utter misery.

I spent a couple weeks in Tempe, 115 in the daytime, etc.
I found it to be about same as 90 in TN as far as discomfort.

Dry heat, humid heat, all that.

If I could afford it, I'd live in E. TN spring and fall, Alaska in the summer, and Caribbean in winter.

- OS

TyGuy

I work indoors. I just would hate to have to mow in 90 degree heat with humidity.
Is mowing/watering lawns normal or could I give that up?

WCrawford

I work indoors. I just would hate to have to mow in 90 degree heat with humidity.
Is mowing/watering lawns normal or could I give that up?

Again, it depends on locality. Here in Nashville, we must keep our grass below a specified height. More rural areas may not have such ordinances. I'm not aware of any place that requires someone to water their lawn.

I say, give up the lawn watering and pay some kid $10-15 every couple weeks to mow your lawn. Tehn you stay out of the heat all together. :)

SgtScott31

As already mentioned, HCPs are required for carry of a handgun on your person or within reach in your vehicle.

2) What about car carry?

See answer to #1 - although you don't need a permit to transport your firearm from point A to point B, but I would recommend they be out of reach and unloaded if you don't have a HCP. HCP or not, leave the rifles and shotguns unloaded and out of reach.

Yes

It's guaranteed to get some flurries particularly during Jan/Feb. We've had an unusual amount of snowfall this year, especially for Dec. 2010. No snow like IL gets though. An inch of snow will shut most schools down here.

They do unless you want some dead grass. It all depends on how healthy you want your yard to look. I rarely watered mine last year and we got enough rain to keep it fairly green, although I did have some treatments done by TruGreen. My yard is just over five years old so it's still growing. I haven't put much effort (or money) into making it look like a golf hole at Augusta though.

Yes. Most counties/towns have ordinances that require your property be kept in decent condition.

7) How are the seasons?

One of the best parts of living in TN are the distinct seasons. Makes for great fishing in spring and fall. Fishing is good in the summer too, but normally before daylight hours.

Fallguy

Just to clarify on car carry.....if you don't have a permit it can not be loaded anywhere in the car, even if not in your reach.

Also to be considered unloaded, the ammo must not be in the "immediate vicinity" of you or the weapon. --T.C.A. 39-17-1308(a)(1)

TyGuy

Ok thanks. I figured that I would have to mow around the house, but as I am looking for some acreage I was hoping to let that just grow. As for watering, I don't want to water unless it's the norm. Up in an IL suburban neighborhood it's pretty much expected that you keep your lawn looking like an Augusta green, but I am over that. I would rather not have all of that work.

In the winter is it mostly overcast with rain and mud? That's what I have read.

HvyMtl

If you go Condo, no grass to mow.

Rural life is easy to find within close proximity to the cities here. A Big bonus.

"It's guaranteed to get some flurries particularly during Jan/Feb. We've had an unusual amount of snowfall this year, especially for Dec. 2010. No snow like IL gets though. An inch of snow will shut most schools down here."

There is a reason for this, the snow up there in the North is a "dryer" light flake snow, which is easier to drive on. In Tennessee, the snow is a "wet" snow, prone to icing. Ice is the issue on driving.

IMHO, easiest way to carry gun unloaded is to have it locked in your trunk, and the magazines in your glove box if you do not have a permit.

The hot summer months are cut by the glorious invention of air conditioning. Winters are typically mild. Maybe two weeks of below 32 degree weather has been the norm of late, except for this year.
You DO get all 4 seasons here, and Autumn is a visual delight.