Thread: Members of Congress proposing new gun laws

Members of Congress proposing new gun laws

Do you think it should be against the law to carry a gun near federal officials?
    Vote on North West Cable News.

http://www.nwcn.com/community/blogs/...113445849.html

On what little bit of the news that I saw they mentioned an assault weapon ban, more strict background checks, something about the gun show loophole and the thing about it being against the law to carry a firearm within 1000 feet of a federal official (but don't quote me on the 1000 ft thing).
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
    Patrick Henry - March 23, 1775

Don't know too much about this guy...

Washington Post political reporter Chris Cillizza on the odds of a possible spark of gun-control actions...

http://news.yahoo.com/video/thefastf...-laws-23806629

Just hope he is right...
    Last edited by reillo584; 01-13-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by reillo584 View Post
    Washington Post political reporter Chris Cillizza on the odds of a possible spark of gun-control actions... http://news.yahoo.com/video/thefastf...-laws-23806629

He brings up some interesting numbers from unsuccessful intents in the past...

Just hope he is right...
    link broken

Quote Originally Posted by phone guy View Post
    link broken
    Sorry, try this one...
    http://news.yahoo.com/video/thefastf...-laws-23806629

It's ridiculous. Hopefully it'll be overturned.

How is anyone to be expected to know that a federal official is near by? What if I was getting my groceries at Safeway and then they showed up before I left? Just seems a little hard to enforce. Maybe they should just carry guns instead.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    How is anyone to be expected to know that a federal official is near by? What if I was getting my groceries at Safeway and then they showed up before I left? Just seems a little hard to enforce. Maybe they should just carry guns instead.
    That is being proposed by some legislators as well....a much better idea. The 1,000 foot limit bill is being floated by one of the guys from New York....that is already anti...I would be surprised if any of this got much traction.....although I think all our legislators should carry, openly, constitutionally!
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

We should just make it illegal to murder people. . . that would get to the root of the problem.

Don't count on overturning!

Quote Originally Posted by emtechnik View Post
    It's ridiculous. Hopefully it'll be overturned.
    Work TODAY to PREVENT the stupid laws being passed in the first place! You go to a lot of trouble and thought in OCing, why not spend some of that effort in ensuring that your 2A is preserved INTACT?

Calling you Reps is very easy. Use your 1A protected voice and make is clear respectfully, "I would like the Congressman/Senator to understand that I still stand for the Second Amendment and the Rights protected in Section 1, Article 24 of the Washington State Constitution. Do not violate the word or intent of the Framers of these Documents. I would like a reply from the Congressman describing his/her stance on this issue please."

They will need your address and phone number. Give it and follow up with them in a week. Make 6 calls: 2 Senators, 1 Congressman, 2 State Legislators and 1 Governor. it will take 30 minutes. You clean your weapon to protect it, why not protect your Right to have it?

They may ignore us for a time but we do need to function within the system while it exists. Silence equals assent in their minds.
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by G20-IWB24/7 View Post
    We should just make it illegal to murder people. . . that would get to the root of the problem.
    B-I-N-G-O!

Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by G20-IWB24/7 View Post
    That's an ingenious idea! You are so much smarter than those law makers, after your "no murdering" law passes, no one will EVER get murdered again, and it covers EVERYONE, even the crazy people and the criminal minded. They would never think about breaking THAT law.

<fun with sarcasm off>

Thanks for that G20, if you hadn't said it, I would have.

Check this out, from Chicago no less

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...1074928.column
    Last edited by Trigger Dr; 01-14-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    Check this out, from Chicago no less

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...1074928.column
    Wow great article, with good facts!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

We currently have over 10,000 gun control laws that don't reduce crime and some of them demonstrably increase crime rates. But I'm sure just one more law will turn everything around. Just one more law making it illegal for federal politicians to be within 1000 feet of an armed citizen. On the outside chance this doesn't work, make it illegal for them to be within 1000 feet of any citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom First View Post
    Work TODAY to PREVENT the stupid laws being passed in the first place! You go to a lot of trouble and thought in OCing, why not spend some of that effort in ensuring that your 2A is preserved INTACT?

Calling you Reps is very easy. Use your 1A protected voice and make is clear respectfully, "I would like the Congressman/Senator to understand that I still stand for the Second Amendment and the Rights protected in Section 1, Article 24 of the Washington State Constitution. Do not violate the word or intent of the Framers of these Documents. I would like a reply from the Congressman describing his/her stance on this issue please."

They will need your address and phone number. Give it and follow up with them in a week. Make 6 calls: 2 Senators, 1 Congressman, 2 State Legislators and 1 Governor. it will take 30 minutes. You clean your weapon to protect it, why not protect your Right to have it?

They may ignore us for a time but we do need to function within the system while it exists. Silence equals assent in their minds.
    Looks like that 1A thing is under attack as well...

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ges_Speech.php
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
    Patrick Henry - March 23, 1775