• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's Boulder like?

jdm79

Swillden,

Just joined tonight, partly because of your post about Boulder. The idea of another libertarian coming into the area is also welcome news!

I just moved here too, but I was already familiar with the area. I've got to say that unincorporated Boulder County has the most appeal for me (there's even a section named Gunbarrel), although Louisville and Lafayette are nice too. I even looked at Broomfield before settling on the new location. No matter what, even Denver, is still a much better situation as far as carrying goes than my former state of Maryland.

Good luck with the interview. Have you heard back yet? If you do move here and find a way to get into the Boulder Rifle Club in less than 5 years, could you share the secret with me?

JohnF_Boulder_Co

Yeah, but they don't adequately post it so unless someone knows that or sees one of the few signs, it would be easy to carry there in violation of the law. Out of all the times I've been to the pearl street mall I've only seen two No Carry signs which is hardly adequate considering there are a million ways to get to the mall without ever seeing one of the signs. I haven't been to Boulder in a couple of years (except driving through) so maybe it's posted better now.

The only places I've seen signs prohibiting carry are the official government buildings. .
I've never seen it prohibited on Pearl Street or any stores. Not sure about open spaces.
I'll keep a better eye out for it.

Funny that for all the talk of Boulder being the "People's Republic", it's as officious and fascist as any place, when you get to looking into the laws about various things.
On Pearl Street, for instance: They don't want snowball fights or Football throws that might harm someone, so a blanket law against any kind of projectile in in effect. No clarifications. If a cop wanted to ticket you, they could catch you tossing a cig butt into a trash can. I've seen cops do stuff almost as stupid (threatened to ticket me for juggling beanbags on the grass, at least 30 feet from anybody. I should have told him to write it up, and I won't just pay it, I'll see him in court.)
The only opening is for performers with insurance, with knives or fire -specifically- in the city codes. Nothing in there about balls, so technically it's illegal for a street performer to juggle balls.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The only opening is for performers with insurance, with knives or fire -specifically- in the city codes. Nothing in there about balls, so technically it's illegal for a street performer to juggle balls.

:banghead:

Boulder is beautiful, don't get me wrong, and the jobs are better there than they are here in Colorado Springs.

It's because of knuckle-headed laws like these, and similarly resulting knuckleheaded actions, that I chose to live here in the Springs.

mahkagari

It's because of knuckle-headed laws like these, and similarly resulting knuckleheaded actions, that I chose to live here in the Springs.

Agreed. I like working in Boulder and hanging out in the Boulder area. But I wouldn't live there.

swillden

Update

I should have posted this a while ago...

I got the job!

The company in question is Google, who has an office on Pearl.

I will be starting next week, but the first two weeks will be in CA, at the headquarters, so I'll be in Boulder starting on March 7th. My family will be moving out sometime in the summer, so I'll have a few months to figure out where to live. For the first month I'm in Boulder, Google will put me up in a corporate apartment; after that I'll need to find my own arrangements.

I understand that when I become a Colorado resident I'll need to get a new permit. Since I'm an NRA pistol instructor and a Utah CFP instructor, it looks like I should have no problem meeting the requirements :)

Gunslinger

Welcome to another free state. CO is shall issue and you will have no problem with a CCW having one from your own state. Only problem is they are not cheap to get, but if you hold NRA Instructor cert you won't have to go through the "training" BS and will save $75. After a couple of weeks in the PDR of Kalifornia, you will need to breathe free air again. Enjoy our mountains!

swillden

Welcome to another free state. CO is shall issue and you will have no problem with a CCW having one from your own state. Only problem is they are not cheap to get, but if you hold NRA Instructor cert you won't have to go through the "training" BS and will save $75. After a couple of weeks in the PDR of Kalifornia, you will need to breathe free air again. Enjoy our mountains!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it (the CO part, not the CA part).

I understand that I won't have to do it, but what training do most people get to qualify for a permit? I enjoy teaching Utah CFP classes here, and may want to teach classes in CO as well. Heck, maybe I'll offer a dual-permit class; do you think there'd be any interest in that?

Gunslinger

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it (the CO part, not the CA part).

I understand that I won't have to do it, but what training do most people get to qualify for a permit? I enjoy teaching Utah CFP classes here, and may want to teach classes in CO as well. Heck, maybe I'll offer a dual-permit class; do you think there'd be any interest in that?

Quite a few offered around COS. All seem to go for about $75. Pure classroom bs that anyone who has been around guns is well familiar with. "This is a revolver. This is a semi-automatic..." We had three lawyers in the class I took, so had some interesting discussions. As CO and UT are reciprocal, don't know how much interest you would have in that, but another instructor offering the CO class should have pretty good success where you're moving. Especially if you keep the price down or offer coupons. Good luck if you go that way

swillden

Quite a few offered around COS. All seem to go for about $75. Pure classroom bs that anyone who has been around guns is well familiar with.
Pure classroom, huh? So the courses aren't NRA courses, which all have a range component... does the state define a required curriculum?

As CO and UT are reciprocal, don't know how much interest you would have in that
The UT would primarily be of interest for those who travel, as I believe it has slightly wider acceptance than the CO permit. I'm not positive about that (guess I should look!).

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Pure classroom, huh? So the courses aren't NRA courses, which all have a range component... does the state define a required curriculum?

I'm not sure, but would guess they have specific areas to cover.

The UT would primarily be of interest for those who travel, as I believe it has slightly wider acceptance than the CO permit. I'm not positive about that (guess I should look!).

True, as posted above. I wasn't aware of so many added states. Thanks Fish.

denwego

The course I took for CO was one of the NRA ones with a range component, but no-range-time ones are equally acceptable to the state. I would've gone with the no-range one myself (and saved $50 in the process) were it not for the fact that other smart people had beaten me to it and booked it up for months in advance, heh.

swillden

Florida non-res gives you exactly the same also (except MN.) FL should accept CO training class as they accept just about any (NRA) training.
That's good information. Given the price difference between the FL and UT permit ($117 vs $65 initially and $107 vs $10 for renewal), the UT permit would be the better deal even if the set of states were the same, and even if the UT course costs a little more.

swillden

I'm finally here

So, my family and I have finally moved to CO. It's quite a relief after spending a few months shuttling back and forth. We really wanted to get a place in the mountains, near Nederland, but that didn't work out and we ended up buying a home in Firestone, just off of 119. The kids are in school and seem to be enjoying it, the local church has really made us feel welcome, and I think we're going to enjoy Colorado, a lot. We do need to work on the firearm laws a bit to bring them up to the standard I'm accustomed to in Utah, though :)

When things get a bit more settled, I'll probably start teaching CCW classes again, probably a combined CO/UT course because it shouldn't be much longer than a CO-only course.

One thing I haven't yet figured out is where I can go shoot in this area. Any suggestions?

mahkagari

One thing I haven't yet figured out is where I can go shoot in this area. Any suggestions?

Howdy, neighbor. We're in Old Town. We should have another OC get together. The last one was a couple years ago at Parrot's Sports Grille, and then also at King Wah shortly before that.

There's Trigger Time Gun Club up the road from you. It's very close and convenient, but membership is pricey unless you shoot a couple of times a week. Front Range in Loveland will give you access for up to two visits to check them out before you have to join. Boulder Rifle Club has public days on the first Saturday of the month. Great place but has a 7-10 year waiting list for membership. The public days are very affordable by comparison, but the minimum range distance is 25 yards.

Dynamite Rabbit

Howdy, neighbor. We're in Old Town. We should have another OC get together. The last one was a couple years ago at Parrot's Sports Grille, and then also at King Wah shortly before that.

There's Trigger Time Gun Club up the road from you. It's very close and convenient, but membership is pricey unless you shoot a couple of times a week. Front Range in Loveland will give you access for up to two visits to check them out before you have to join. Boulder Rifle Club has public days on the first Saturday of the month. Great place but has a 7-10 year waiting list for membership. The public days are very affordable by comparison, but the minimum range distance is 25 yards.

We're up for another OC event!

We belong to Front Range. We wanted to join Trigger Time, mainly because of the 100-yard lanes, but they didn't start building in time. Front Range is great, although I wish it was a little closer (we're in Mead).