• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disturbing Washington CPL stats

Freedom First

Just got a reply from the DOL Firearms department regarding a question I had had asked, "How many CPLs are active right now in Washington State?" The answer really suprised me since I honestly thought the number would be much higher.

Washington State Population from last census: 6.6 million
Active CPL holders: 276,612

>>Delete public schoolin' math skills and insert Mr Gray's math skills<<

That's not the way the numbers run, at least when I do them.

the fraction of the population in WA with a CPL is 276612/6.6 million = 4.19%

So for a single person, the odds that they have a CPL is 4.2%, or about 1 in 24. And the odds that they DON'T have a CPL is (1-.042), or 95.8%, or 23 out of 24.

Now, if you have two people, the odds that NEITHER has a CPL is .958^2, or 91.9%. And for 10 people, the odds that none of them have a CPL is .958^10, or 65.8%. So about 2/3rds of the time, a group of 10 randomly chosen WA residents will not have a CPL holder among them, presuming that it's a representative selection. Conversely, about 1/3rd of the time, it will have at least one CPL holder.

And with 100 people, the odds that none has a CPL is .958^100, or 1.4%. That's a 1 in 67 chance. The odds that at least one CPL holder is in the group of 100 are 66 in 67, very likely.

All this is ignoring the fact that a substantial fraction of that 6.6 million is under the age of 21 and thus is ineligible for a CPL. According the the census, 24% is under the age of 18 according to the census, so that alone changes the numbers substantially. Roughly 5.5% of WA residents over the age of 18 has a CPL, and the odds that a random selection of 100 such residents over the age of 18 has zero CPL holders in it are about 1 in 291.

Jeeze.

:banghead::cuss::banghead:

All the more reason to be armed at all times. The 911 gun doesn't work for the first few minutes and you obviously cannot hope that the guy next to you will save your family from the crazy with a firearm since he probably isn't carrying either...

This video says it all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5n7inTI1dc

Last edited:

G20-IWB24/7

Don't forget to factor in that there is roughly 28% of the population of Washington state that is under the age of 21, so therefore could not have a CPL if they wanted. But I understand the purpose of your numbers.

No one will protect you until it is convenient for them to do so. Convenience means patience. Patience means time. Time can cost you your life.

Carry on.

-G20

Lammo

FWIW - - I pass by the CPL application desk on my way to our in the jail courtroom 3 or 4 times a week. Every single time I do there is someone at the desk filing an application (yes, it could be a renewal). The other day there was someone at the nearby information desk. I asked her if a lot of people were coming in for CPL applications. She pointed to the stack of about 20 information/application packets and told me that two weeks ago there were 80 packets in the stack. Anecdotal "evidence" of limited value but that's what's going on in Spokane.

Freedom First

Numbers

Seeing the numbers really made me understand the "A Right unexercised is a Right lost." Just as knowledge of the US Constitution is lost to most people, so are their Rights to carry, privacy, travel, speak, not speak, etc..

We just need to make every encounter with the uninformed count. Having the OC pamplet with you and copies of the Constitution makes it much easier to make a point with your 2A display rather than a chance for a flip comment to write about here. The point is to make converts to common sense.

Thanks for all you guys do.

MrGray

Washington State Population from last census: 6.6 million
Active CPL holders: 276,612

That means that in a group of 100 people, there is approximately a one in three chance of there being an active CPL holder on site. Then factoring in the likelyhood of that CPL holder actually carrying, you can hope that maybe one in 1,000 are actually carrying a firearm... Jeeze.

So for a single person, the odds that they have a CPL is 4.2%, or about 1 in 24. And the odds that they DON'T have a CPL is (1-.042), or 95.8%, or 23 out of 24.

Now, if you have two people, the odds that NEITHER has a CPL is .958^2, or 91.9%. And for 10 people, the odds that none of them have a CPL is .958^10, or 65.8%. So about 2/3rds of the time, a group of 10 randomly chosen WA residents will not have a CPL holder among them, presuming that it's a representative selection. Conversely, about 1/3rd of the time, it will have at least one CPL holder.

And with 100 people, the odds that none has a CPL is .958^100, or 1.4%. That's a 1 in 67 chance. The odds that at least one CPL holder is in the group of 100 are 66 in 67, very likely.

All this is ignoring the fact that a substantial fraction of that 6.6 million is under the age of 21 and thus is ineligible for a CPL. According the the census, 24% is under the age of 18 according to the census, so that alone changes the numbers substantially. Roughly 5.5% of WA residents over the age of 18 has a CPL, and the odds that a random selection of 100 such residents over the age of 18 has zero CPL holders in it are about 1 in 291.

oldkim

Get a woman....

I have always believed that if you get a woman into guns.... you get a whole family (kids and friends, etc).

If you get a guy you basically get one guy into guns. So for those "knuckle draggers" out there... be nice to woman that have a gun question. Don't make them go shoot a S&W 500 for there first gun.

I have a women's only shoot coming up (it's full). Most have been shooting some but a few are pretty new. You can find a thread here posted back in December.

We all can do our part - in supporting each other as we venture in life...

We all "progress" differently so if you have a friend that has a gun and maybe a CPL but doesn't carry. Give them time to come to their own decision. Carrying a firearm can take years to come to. We don't need to beat them up for not deciding right now. How long did it take you? Some do come to it rather quickly but most takes months to years...

Also this is an OC forum... there are some here that won't (for purely to make a point) get a CPL.

Lastly, Numbers are how you want to use them. The total population is 6.6 million but like someone else has mentioned - how many are adults and legally able to obtain a CPL?

We are growing everyday - we need to welcome the newbies. Remember when you first started out with your first gun? I'm sure you had lots of questions. Check yourself before you rant on and attack a newbie.

Freedom First

Thank God! Someone who can do math!

Thanks! I spent a bit too much time in school skipping school. :p

Well, those number look far better but still, the point is that in a crowd like in Az on Saturday, by your numbers, there was a 50%+/- chance of there being someone armed in attendance. So be armed.

Thanks again for fixing my math!:monkey

jt59

Thanks! I spent a bit too much time in school skipping school. :p

Well, those number look far better but still, the point is that in a crowd like in Az on Saturday, by your numbers, there was a 50%+/- chance of there being someone armed in attendance. So be armed.

Thanks again for fixing my math!:monkey

another element that may be missing in this number is that when I called these folks a few months ago, they also indicated that they are at least 6 months behind at any given time doing the data entry of new licenses (actually issued) into the system as there are only 4 data entry clerks and one of them was presently on the phone talking to me...

the number is much bigger.....

07Altima

Well come February or March

I will be getting not only my firearm, and CPL, but I will be getting my wife her first firearm, and CPL, and my Mother her first firearm, and CPL so that is three more to chalk up. I am also running for office for state Rep for the 39th here in washington state in 2012 but I have already started Campaigning :) hope to hear some feedback on this statement I posted about it on the washington forum so I hope I hear some good things :)

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
A correct assumption

"Get a woman....

I have always believed that if you get a woman into guns.... you get a whole family (kids and friends, etc)."
S'truth
I met my Sweet Baboo while we were both in the military (she Air Force, me Army). I gave her a pink pearl handled .25 in her stocking one Yule season. She carried it daily while walking to and from work in downtown Little Rock Ar. (then known as the murder capital of the US) She shoots expert with an M16 and has fired everything from .22 to hand grenade. There nay be anything more sexy than a goodlooking woman with a gun in her hand. "The family that shoots together...................." Well they are just big familys,

Idlechater

Of course these statistics don't include the many who carry without CPL's and there are quite a few. And not all are "criminals".

I know I am going to catch hell for doing this, but I would disagree with your quote. I believe in the state of Washington if you carry concealed with out a permit - you are committing a crime - ergo you are a criminal.

I may not agree with a law, but until we the people change the law, we should follow it.

Last edited:

heresolong

I know I am going to catch hell for doing this, but I would disagree with your quote. I believe in the state of Washington if you carry concealed with out a permit - you are committing a crime - ergo you are a criminal.

I may not agree with a law, but until we the people change the law, we should follow it.

Keep in mind he didn't say concealed. There is at least one person on this board who carries openly because he doesn't have a permit. Probably many more.

Sparky508

Dont forget the exceptions, outdoor activities and all.

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms

Last edited:

aktion

While I understand the point about carrying concealed without a CPL, 'criminal' from a strictly legal sense isn't accurate. A 'criminal' is someone guilty of a crime, and 'guilty' is based on a conviction. Due process. I certainly don't mean to split hairs for arguments sake. I can understand those who choose not to obtain a CPL on principled grounds, while knowing the very real legal risk that such a choice introduces. Insert the 'Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six' argument here.

Carrying concealed is not necessarily the smartest form of civil disobedience as it pertains to making a positive contribution to pushing for greater liberty in a social or political sense. However in some cases, that isn't the most important consideration; survival is.

I look forward to the day Washingtonians have eliminated all licensing for firearm related activity.

Vote!

Idlechater

See, you guys are just too dang smart for me...

Perhaps it would have been better for me to say that I consider carrying concealed without a permit to be criminal behavior in Washington State... For better or worse, the point that I was trying to make is going to get lost on minutia here... That being that until we the people change the laws, we should abide by them... Thus, if you believe that people should be permitted to carry a concealed firearm without a permit (as I do) then you should work to have the law requiring a concealed permit removed... Until such time, I believe that we should all encourage one another to behave in a manner that is consistent with the laws of our state.