• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Supporters Unite!

OutintheOPEN

Let me start off by saying how great it is that the community can come together so strongly in support of a just cause. I've been carrying ever since I was allowed to, never had to fire in self defense and I give credit to my 1911 visible on my side for that ^^ I wanted to upgrade to a more....lets say.... intimidating side arm. Something that is quality (which im willing to pay for) and reliable. Powerful yet elegant. Sexy and sleek :cool: What do you guys think?

WaterWalker

Man do I have the gun for you ;) I had a buddy just pick this up, luckily I've had the chance to shoot and WOW what power. (this is the site he picked it from)

http://www.lowpriceguns.com/product.php_364386

I've never seen so many people come up to us ask to see the gun or just plain admire the beauty, it really is something else. I'm not sure on your price range but if you're "willing to pay for quality" This is a great deal. Best of luck :banana:

emtechnik

I don't know how you could get more "intimidating" than a 1911:lol:

Course, I'm partial to pistols over wheelguns. I'm more intimidated by 12 rounds of 10mm than 6 rounds of .44 magnum :D

G20-IWB24/7

I wanted to upgrade to a more....lets say.... intimidating side arm.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you are exercizing your rights to OC. However, 'intimidation' isn't the name of the game here. I hope that isn't your reason behind carrying. "Deterrance" is a much nicer way to say what I think (and hope) you're trying to say.

Beside that, a 1911 carried in condition 1 "cocked and locked" seems to be pretty near the top of the list of "Did you see that?" anyways. Dont know if your's is stainless, but the contrast against dark clothing and/or holster is very visible that way. So you might be good to just spend that money on ammo and training. Hope to see you around, and again, welcome!

-G20

oldkim

We're not power rangers...

Unite in what?

Yes, your choice of words definitely needs to be re-thought. To intimidate is not the goal of OC here on this forum. It's practicing and express our legal right to bear arms in the fashion we choose (OC/CC).

I fear if you are out to intimidate folks you may also be in the mindset to scare people in the wrong way. We want to educate and show how a law abiding citizen can behave not some macho dude - I have the biggest scariest gun....

Sorry but I find this thread lacking.... and not appropriate to this forum.

Deleted_User

pondering ...

Hmm ... 2 newbies posting within 6 minutes of each other, from same area, low post counts. If anyone ELSE saw that, they'd call that posting a slick way to "spam" for that website. That's just me as an admin thinking though.

Yes, intimidation is NOT what we are out carrying for. We are deterring crime, and protecting our loved ones. Leaves intimidation to the L... nevermind.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an OCDO admin, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Ruby

Let me start off by saying how great it is that the community can come together so strongly in support of a just cause. I've been carrying ever since I was allowed to, never had to fire in self defense and I give credit to my 1911 visible on my side for that ^^ I wanted to upgrade to a more....lets say.... intimidating side arm. Something that is quality (which im willing to pay for) and reliable. Powerful yet elegant. Sexy and sleek :cool: What do you guys think?

Powerful, yet elegant. Sexy and sleek. Intimidating. Sounds like you are carrying for the wrong reasons. Sounds like you want to show your gun off, or you want a "scarier" gun to show off. Sounds like you were describing a car, rather than a gun. That's NOT OC. Most of us carry for self defense, defense of others if necessary, and because it is our right and we want others to know that it is their right also. As a means of self defense, a firearm is a highly effective tool, depending on the circumstances of course. It is not the only tool. WE DON'T DO SCARY CARRY!!!!! The idea being to make people aware of their rights, NOT to scare the daylights out of them. Some people will be scared regardless and most of us have experienced that. We try to educate if the person is open to that. But to deliberately carry a gun just to get it and you noticed is definitely the wrong reason. Besides which you could find yourself sitting in a cell for all your trouble. You wanted to know what we thought, and that's what I think.

amlevin

Sorry but I don't carry to impress or intimidate. Rather than going out and buying something that impresses all your "buds", why not spend the money on learning how to use what you have better.

My Sig is perhaps not as intimidating or impressive as say an S&W 500 but I can draw, put 14 rounds in the little oval marked with an X at 21' (BLEA-1 Target) in an average of 8 seconds. If that's not enough I still have 26 rounds left over.

It's a matter of practicing your skills so you can be effective when it comes time to defend yourself.

Learn to use your 1911 and you won't need anything else.

OutintheOPEN

Sorry guys I seem to have stirred up quite a mess here. I understand the concept of "Scarry Carry" and this is not why I carry my firearm. Being able to carry a gun in public is a right and privilege that I have the utmost respect for. I chose the wrong diction in my Original post. I would like to replace "Intimidate" with "Protective Presence" I carry a weapon to protect my family if the situation arises, I do not carry a gun to look cool or impress my friends. Thanks for welcoming me to the site, I'll be more careful with my future posting.

deanf

What do you guys think?

I think you have the wrong attitude.

Get the gun that works for you, not that scares people the best. Other than that, be circumspect in all your conduct, carrying or not. That's what will keep you out of trouble.

skiingislife725

I'm curious "Outintheopen", in your other thread you say you want to learn about the open carry laws, but in this one you say that you've been carrying visibly for as long as you have been allowed to. Might want to spend a little less time spending money on a new gun and a little more time educating yourself on open carry...especially if, as you said, you've been open carrying for a while now.

Last edited:

DEROS72

It seems you might want to check back aways and learn about open carry.We have all been doing this for a while and are pretty well united already.We also don't tolerate intimidation.

acmariner99

Um .. not to sound like a broken record, but I agree with the majority here that you are carrying for the WRONG reasons. And carrying for the purpose of intimidating others is illegal in Washington: RCW 9.41.270 Section 1. I hope it was a slip of the tongue and nothing more. Remember, the antis watch these sites in order to prove that we are a bunch of irresponsible reckless gun nuts. I carry a gun solely for the purpose of protecting myself and those in my care because no one else has the responsibility to do it for me. I would like a couple of different guns for different settings or situations, but I don't want to carry a gun to show off.

FMCDH

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you are exercizing your rights to OC. However, 'intimidation' isn't the name of the game here. I hope that isn't your reason behind carrying. "Deterrance" is a much nicer way to say what I think (and hope) you're trying to say.

Beside that, a 1911 carried in condition 1 "cocked and locked" seems to be pretty near the top of the list of "Did you see that?" anyways. Dont know if your's is stainless, but the contrast against dark clothing and/or holster is very visible that way. So you might be good to just spend that money on ammo and training. Hope to see you around, and again, welcome!

-G20

+1

If you own a pistol for defense already, perhaps your money is better spent on training and learning to respect the one you have, then on a new piece of "bling".

Otherwise, welcome to the forum. :)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Man, you all picked this poor guys bones clean and did not leave anything for me !

OutintheOPEN they are not trying to run you off but to address the issue of some past members have been well overly aggressive and it works against the concept of making it the norm.

Well you got your wings singed a bit but we all have, pick yourself, dust yourself off and join in.

Last edited:

emtechnik

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and choosing to interpret his use of "intimidating" as "intimidating to those who may want to do him harm."

amzbrady

Hmm ... 2 newbies posting within 6 minutes of each other, from same area, low post counts. If anyone ELSE saw that, they'd call that posting a slick way to "spam" for that website. That's just me as an admin thinking though.

Yes, intimidation is NOT what we are out carrying for. We are deterring crime, and protecting our loved ones. Leaves intimidation to the L... nevermind.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an OCDO admin, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Wonder twins power....Activate.
Form of...Intimidation.
Form of... Cheap web links to goofy looking guns...

.45ACPaddy

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Guys, read his other post in the thread, he did correct himself.

In terms of two newbies posting within minutes, yeah, it kinda points to people making sock accounts and essentially responding to their own posts. I hope this isn't the case, though it's not unheard of.

Anyway, I don't think anything says "If you're a criminal looking for trouble, don't even try it." more than a condition 1 1911. Keep it and use your money to buy more ammo and range time! Heck, maybe a trigger job or some night sights!