• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glocks, are they flying off the shelves?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I hear the mainstream media is reporting up surge in Glock products. Have any of you noticed this first hand or seen any other "hi-capacity" pistols flying off the shelf?

CenTex

I hear the mainstream media is reporting up surge in Glock products. Have any of you noticed this first hand or seen any other "hi-capacity" pistols flying off the shelf?

No, but I have seen the UPS truck and the post office jeep drive by. Both drivers were "carrying." ... stuff n mail

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
My local shop has reported no uptick, and the local Cabelas still has the same G17's, G19's and 33rd mags they've had for months...either the market for glocks in my area has reached saturation, or folks still remember their unnecessary post election frenzy.

frankd

I put mine on a shelf and it went nowhere.

Seriously though, I don't hear about people running out to buy Glocks. I am considering another one, as is a friend, but it's not a do or die type of thing.

Claytron

i dont even own a glock and honestly i had the urge to go out and buy one or two 33rd glock magazines just incase this ridiculous crap bill passes and we see them dissapear from store shelves/appear online for 5 times as much

emtechnik

Actually they aren't flying off the shelves like they used to, compared to their direct competitors. This comes from the mouth of the employee/owner of my local gun store. He told me today that people are leaning toward s&w m&p's and springfields due to their customizability, customer service, and overall aesthetics. I for one can tell you from personal experience that s&w customer service is the best i've ever had. Additionally they told me that for LE, glock is always the lowest bidder for issued duty weapons. That's not to say glock has taken a dive in gun quality, but it does appear that they are getting stingier. To add to that, they lowered the profit margin fortheir discount program - giving only $10 of profit to the gun stores.

rcknrbn

Gun Show

Was at a local gun show here in Mississippi last Saturday. Didn't notice the Glocks selling any better than they normally do. In fact, seemed to be a lot of foot traffic but little purchasing going on. Probably just a sign of the economy.

The only exception was a vendor who was selling some Chinese made pistols (forget the name). I picked one up only to see it was cheaply made and heavy. The quality was vastly inferior to anything I've ever owned. However, the price was dirt cheap as well. What struck me was that most people trying to purchase appeared to be the inner city gang-banger thugs from Jackson. I say "trying" to buy because it was amusing to stand around and watch them go thru the application process only to get rejected. Most truly thought they just had to bring cash and walk out with a new pistol.

beebobby

My Glock carrying friends (3 of them) are sticking with the factory mags due to the difficulty in carrying while sporting a 33 rnd mag, open or concealed. They view the 33s as a novelty item.

Gunslinger

I'm not a Glock fan. Other pistols do better for the same or less money, and I prefer SA semi-autos (1911, Hi-Power). If I did have one, or bought one, I wouldn't waste my money on a 33 round magazine. If I'm going somewhere I need that kind of firepower I'd be carrying my M-4. You can change mags in under 2 seconds if you have any skill at all, and many pistols hold 19 rounds as a normal course of events, so why carry a freak? If someone wants one, fine. But I think they're stupid looking in a pistol and offer nothing substantive in personal defense.

emtechnik

I'm not a Glock fan. Other pistols do better for the same or less money, and I prefer SA semi-autos (1911, Hi-Power). If I did have one, or bought one, I wouldn't waste my money on a 33 round magazine. If I'm going somewhere I need that kind of firepower I'd be carrying my M-4. You can change mags in under 2 seconds if you have any skill at all, and many pistols hold 19 rounds as a normal course of events, so why carry a freak? If someone wants one, fine. But I think they're stupid looking in a pistol and offer nothing substantive in personal defense.

my father in law has a good friend who is a shooting instructor, and he keeps a g19 33 rd. mag at the ready for home defense. I can see that being useful at home, or for range practice, but i think we're all in agreement that for carry purposes it's entirely impractical for OC or CC.

"but they're designed for killing a lot of people really quickly!!" :banghead: