• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with different courses in firearms safety

Marc

Ok not trying to sound like a noob here but because i open carry i'm not really sure about how to find the cheapest class for firearms safety that will qualify for a Florida CCW. Can any of you help me with this? Aside from hunter's safety course (the schedule for those courses do not fit into my schedule and i cannot make it to them,) but any others besides the expensive ccw classes would really help. Im a good shot i can pass easily but i cant fit it into my budget to do the ccw class. please help with some info. thanks.

Shooter64738

The NRA basic pistol course will get your either a Maine or Florida permit. For simplicity I like the Maine permit. No finger prints, and the turn around is pretty quick. Florida is also pretty quick, but you need some prints though their license covers more states and lasts longer.

You can probably get a basic pistol and a Maine permit for $100 if you shop around.

I know the Missouri permit may cost you more in the short run, but knowing the Missouri weapons statutes, would be a big plus. If you had a Missouri CCW permit it adds another person to be counted that representatives may listen to around election time.

Last edited:

mobodyguard

my question would be why dont u want a Missouri permit cause u can carry in more states that with a Florida permit, i have someone that can give you the class for 60 dollars for a Missouri but i dont know anyone that does Florida

kylemoul

alot of trainers will give discounts for more than 1 person.

60$ seems walmart cheap but hey as long as they cover the required material and he knows his stuff.

Shooter64738

alot of trainers will give discounts for more than 1 person.

60$ seems walmart cheap but hey as long as they cover the required material and he knows his stuff.

I know some trainers that do it for cost, and one that does it for free sometimes. Some people just believe in the 2A. :)

cash50

my question would be why dont u want a Missouri permit cause u can carry in more states that with a Florida permit, i have someone that can give you the class for 60 dollars for a Missouri but i dont know anyone that does Florida

Yea I'd like to know who does the MO class for $60 also. You could also use the MO class to get a Florida permit. It's any course firearms related.

sohighlyunlikely

Yea I'd like to know who does the MO class for $60 also. You could also use the MO class to get a Florida permit. It's any course firearms related.

I know a certain somebody here who is now a licensed CCW instructor.
diver-fish.gif
I wonder what he will charge?

cshoff

The Missouri Hunter Education class is all that is needed to qualify for a FL permit, and the cost of that class is FREE. If "cheap" is your only concern, then this is clearly the way to go.

I will add to BE CAREFUL in selecting an instructor to take a CCW class (or ANY firearms related class for that matter) with. In a lot of cases, you will get what you pay for. There can be a BIG difference between "reasonably priced" and "cheap".

Last edited:

Marc

Ok thanks for all the input but i really still dont see an answer to my question. one person said do the mo ccw class and support my state. sorry cant afford it. and as i said my schedule makes it impossible to do hunters safety i cant be there at 8 am.Now someone said Maine. Can i get more info on that? I'm not trying to show disloyalty to Missouri but i need to get a permit i can afford and that aint possible in MO. Theres no reason why a CCw class should cost a hundred bucks and then i have to pay the sheriffs dept another hundred to excersise my rights its ********. I want to obey the law but i need to be able to afford it

kellogg2185

I'm in the same bucket as you, as far as financially restricted right now, but I'm still getting my FLA permit. Good for 7 years, it's accepted in MO, and it's a concealed weapons permit, not just handgun (not that it really matters, I suppose). As MO honors FLA's permit, you're kosher. Plus your $100 (plus safety course cost and whatever charge for fingerprinting) is stretched out for 4 more years. But like I said, I'm short on cash right now too. So I suggest the same route I'm taking, study your local/State laws until you know them, and hold out on the CCW until you have the cash. It's not that much money. http://armedmissouri.com/class_bp.htm offers a course for $75 that will satisfy the requirements. They also offer one on one if necessary for your schedule. Hope this helps.

cshoff

Ok thanks for all the input but i really still dont see an answer to my question. one person said do the mo ccw class and support my state. sorry cant afford it. and as i said my schedule makes it impossible to do hunters safety i cant be there at 8 am.Now someone said Maine. Can i get more info on that? I'm not trying to show disloyalty to Missouri but i need to get a permit i can afford and that aint possible in MO. Theres no reason why a CCw class should cost a hundred bucks and then i have to pay the sheriffs dept another hundred to excersise my rights its ********. I want to obey the law but i need to be able to afford it

You asked for "cheap". The MO Hunter Ed. course is about as "cheap" as you can get. Now, in addition to being "cheap", you are asking for something that complies with YOUR time schedule.

It may be time for you to figure out what your priorities are. It is very likely that, regardless of what course you end up taking, you are going to have to take it when it is scheduled, or pay extra for a one-on-one class. Bending your schedule around for the day may be your most cost effective option.

As to there being "no reason why a CCW class should cost a hundred bucks", what do YOU think it should cost? Should instructors just give their services away?

Last edited:

cshoff

I'm in the same bucket as you, as far as financially restricted right now, but I'm still getting my FLA permit. Good for 7 years, it's accepted in MO, and it's a concealed weapons permit, not just handgun (not that it really matters, I suppose). As MO honors FLA's permit, you're kosher. Plus your $100 (plus safety course cost and whatever charge for fingerprinting) is stretched out for 4 more years. But like I said, I'm short on cash right now too. So I suggest the same route I'm taking, study your local/State laws until you know them, and hold out on the CCW until you have the cash. It's not that much money. http://armedmissouri.com/class_bp.htm offers a course for $75 that will satisfy the requirements. They also offer one on one if necessary for your schedule. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the plug of my website. Just an FYI, our NRA Basic Pistol Course will be going up to $100 as of this year. NRA course materials have increased in price, shipping costs have gone up, and fuel prices have continued to rise. With that said, we are, once again, going to hold the cost of our CCW class at $100, which is the same price we have been charging for the past 6 years. All of our course prices should be updated on our website within the next few days.

mobodyguard

alright everyone his name is frank limbach- he is the chief of security out at lake city ammunition plant in independence

816-703-7278

Big Boy

^ I don't know why that damn smiley is there...and I can't get rid of it...oh well.

I took my class with Frank. I also have a Florida permit.

You can google it. FJL pistol training. He is a good guy, has a class room in his basement that he does the class in. He's NRA certified and the set up really isn't that bad. He'll get you the information you need to know, but as in any situation, read up on the laws your self. Otherwise it's just someone else giving you their opinion.

$60 with Frank is about the cheapest you'll find. Then it is another $117 for the Florida permit.

I am unsure how much the Missouri permit costs, but I believe it is cheaper. Unless you are just doing hunters safety (free) and then sending in for a Florida app, I can't see how Florida would be any cheaper than MO. The only reason I got mine from Florida is because I was not yet 23 for the MO app.

Last edited:

High price does not always get you a excellent high quality CCW class. I have sat in on some $125.00 classes that left a lot to be desired and have attended some $40.00 classes that were very through and covered the subjects. If anyone had questions the instructor would stop and explain and discuss it through and through. I know of one instructor that gives free classes sometimes but does not advertise them. They are by invitation only and given to those that could not afford the price of a class and the price of the permission slip from the state both. He is also an excellent instructor that does no do any short cuts.
Then of course you find those that are in it strictly for the money it generates in their pocket. They and some of the other instructors are the ones that will scream about state wide preemption on OC without attending a class because they think it will cut down on their coffee and toy money.
But then you will find those instructors that will support preemption for OC.

Last edited:

cshoff

High price does not always get you a excellent high quality CCW class. I have sat in on some $125.00 classes that left a lot to be desired and have attended some $40.00 classes that were very through and covered the subjects. If anyone had questions the instructor would stop and explain and discuss it through and through. I know of one instructor that gives free classes sometimes but does not advertise them. They are by invitation only and given to those that could not afford the price of a class and the price of the permission slip from the state both. He is also an excellent instructor that does no do any short cuts.
Then of course you find those that are in it strictly for the money it generates in their pocket. They and some of the other instructors are the ones that will scream about state wide preemption on OC without attending a class because they think it will cut down on their coffee and toy money.
But then you will find those instructors that will support preemption for OC.

Any potential instructor should be vetted thoroughly. I recommend to anyone looking, even those inquiring with me, that they talk to former students that they know, and if that is not possible, to ask the instructor to provide them references and then actually CHECK those references. The choice of an instructor and course of instruction are critical choices. In fact, in the worse case scenario, your life and your freedom could depend on it. If an instructor is unwilling to provide detailed information about his/her course or unwilling to provide a list of valid references, it's time to move on to a different instructor.

As to the cost, you will generally get what you pay for. Most of the "bargain" classes include the use of .22 handguns, or they require the student to bring their own guns and ammunition, or they require the student to pay additional money to rent guns and pay for ammunition at the range. I know several people who went through a "cheap" ($50.00) CCW course that ended up costing them over $100 by they time they paid for all the additional expenses. These classes usually don't include any kind of student handbook, and in some cases, the students aren't even given photo copies of the relevant statutes. In one instance, the instructor was being so "cheap", that the students shot at paper plates during the shooting portion of the class; a practice that doesn't even comply with the requirements of our CCW statutes. It's pretty easy for an instructor to "give the class away" when it only costs him/her a few dollars per student to host the class.

Last edited: