• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Celebrating 50,000 Threads

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OCDO will shortly hit a milestone -with 50,000 threads.

Some have been very brief and succinct, others unbelievably long with every body sharing their opinion. A few have taken on a life of their own like the threads on OCing in and around particular regions.

What/where was OCDO when you first came on board? What do you remember as the most noteworthy event of that time?

Post some memories here - share some history.

sudden valley gunner

Couple of years ago, read for awhile before joining.

My first post I read though was an informative "article" by Gray Peterson, on the racial motivations behind gun control, in Washington State.

I loved the fact that most of the posters at that time tended to not be Republican or Democrat but independent (libertarian?) type folks who were interested not only in our 2A rights but all liberties. This struck a better chord with me than many of the other gun cites. Plus I was determined to open carry since I was about 5 or 6.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Membership in VCDL and seeing reference to this site and recognizing many of the same people peaked my interest - commonality of purpose and opportunity to express what had been private thoughts. The acceptance of all people, the willingness to share and explain and the accurate, well defined answers (requirement to cite) were and are refreshing. Opinions carrying less weight than facts was a major plus.

OCDO has grown and matured, become an extremely viable player in the quest to protect the 2nd Amendment as an individual right. I was one of the lucky ones to have a pre-1985 Virginia CWP in the days of "may issue", but objected to the onerous way I was treated by some - always felt that the gun was NOT the risk, the danger to society.

So on that fateful day when I stumbled on the curbstone of OCDO tenants, I got up, brushed myself off and realized that I was home. What I learned here has saved my bacon more than once.

The biggest change that has occurred is the exhilarating spread and acceptance of OC over these years and the steadily accelerating decline of those that would oppose this right.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I don't even remember why I joined or what I was thinking at the time. I also forget what I was on my way to get after I've walked half way to it but remember by the time I'm three quarters of the way back to where I started...:D

I loved the fact that most of the posters at that time tended to not be Republican or Democrat but independent (libertarian?) type folks who were interested not only in our 2A rights but all liberties. This struck a better chord with me than many of the other gun cites. Plus I was determined to open carry since I was about 5 or 6.

A big +1 because I do remember why I've stayed around. There aren't many forums on the internet where you will find as many people concerned with all personal liberties instead of just a select few that fit their agenda.