• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hb 1016

skiingislife725

I'm glad to see that there were very level-headed people that decided to testify, instead of the ranting that went on last spring for the "assault" weapons ban. Excellent speech by the WACOP representative.

heresolong

Appears to have already been sent along by the Judiciary Committee with a "Do Pass" recommendation. Doesn't say where it goes next on the website.

Update: There is no fiscal impact included so won't go before Appropriations. Wonder if this means it goes straight to the full house.

Last edited:

Stat

Does anyone know if you need your tax stamp paperwork with you while you have your noise reducing device on you gun?
The locals won’t have ready access to the fed’s records right?

pooley

Does anyone know if you need your tax stamp paperwork with you while you have your noise reducing device on you gun?

Absolutely. Even if the state doesn't require you to, it's still good practice. The NFA doesn't explicitly state that you must display proof of registration, but how can you show the LEO it's a lawfully transferred firearm (a silencer is a firearm) without that piece of paper?

It isn't necessary to carry the originals - legible copies will suffice. I have full-color scans of all my ATF forms & generally make sure I have several of each while my original forms sit comfortably in the safe. One full set in the gun case (just so you don't have to worry about grabbing the wrong ones), one full set goes in the glove box of my truck. I also keep a scaled down & laminated set that fits in my pocket. Maybe it's overkill, but you don't have to worry about losing one if you have 3 sets readily available.

Incidentally, when you pay the $200 transfer tax that green stamp is what you're buying. You can't just mail the ATF for a replacement.

heresolong

Probably better to focus our energy on getting the bill passed and signed by the governor and then worry about the details. Just saying. :)

Stat

Don’t you engrave the device also?
Ok since you have one of these have you ever consider OC with S?
Just asking and keeping with the movement.

aktion

It was especially good to see a member of the law enforcement community with a pertinent background to suppressors present very positive and persuasive testimony. He specifically supports all law-abiding citizens, not just law enforcement, possessing and using suppressors lawfully. I think it worth pointing out, with LE bashing an occasional subject on this board, justified or not.

cbpeck

If you're asking pooley, it appears that he lives in Texas. It is currently illegal to OC in Tx, and adding a silencer doesn't make it legal. :D

Last edited:

Stat

Is that a silencer in your paints or are you just happy to see me?
Sorry about that Pooley, didn’t know and I have no intention of leaving Washington.
If you're asking pooley, it appears that he lives in Texas. It is currently illegal to OC in Tx, and adding a silencer doesn't make it legal. :D

FMCDH

I'm glad to see that there were very level-headed people that decided to testify, instead of the ranting that went on last spring for the "assault" weapons ban. Excellent speech by the WACOP representative.

Last year the legislative representatives that were proposing the "scary gun" ban were being reminded that they are idiots, and everyone knew it so to shove their "proposal" where it belonged.

This time we are asking the legislature to consider a reasonable request to change a law that never made sense.

Different situations demand different kinds of delivery of the peoples will. ;)

skiingislife725

Last year the legislative representatives that were proposing the "scary gun" ban were being reminded that they are idiots, and everyone knew it so to shove their "proposal" where it belonged.

This time we are asking the legislature to consider a reasonable request to change a law that never made sense.

Different situations demand different kinds of delivery of the peoples will. ;)

Oh I don't disagree with having different kinds of delivery...but a couple of those folks probably just made the guys sitting up there tune them out. Once someone starts ranting, repeating himself over and over, and just doesn't seem prepared to make the speech...it doesn't bode well for our cause. While I did appreciate the speakers at that assault weapons ban hearing having the courage to get up there, a couple of them reminded me of the saying "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt." I think our biggest strength was in our numbers that day...that NRA rep seemed to be BY FAR the best of the speakers...but even he was nothing compared to this WACOP speaker for HR1016.

Last edited:

pooley

Actually you can with the travelling thing, but it isn't worth all the hassle. I have carried concealed with a silencer but only because I felt better doing that than leaving it in my truck on the way to or from the range. Legally the silencer makes no difference. If you were ever required to use said handgun & wound up in court, one can only imagine the spin that could be put on carrying a silenced handgun.

As for engraving, if you buy a silencer from an SOT dealer it's already serialized & you're only transferring possession of it. If you make a silencer or short-barrel rifle/shotgun you have to engrave or stamp your name, city & state and a serial number if it doesn't already have one. You can also send it off to be engraved professionally. I've done that with a couple of AR receivers. Best to do that before you register as it saves having to fax ATF a request to transport it out of state.

And you can legally ship a firearm to a gunsmith & they can ship it straight back to you without going through a dealer as long as it only changes hands strictly for repairs or the required engraving, even across state lines.

Disclaimer: My comments only reflect federal law. Washington may have additional requirements/restrictions.

FMCDH

Suppressor...(sigh)

Folks, PLEASE stop using the erroneous term "silencer". We all know it does nothing of the sort.

I know it may seem like splitting hairs, but since the gun educated are not the only ones to read these boards, its best to use proper terminology whenever possible so as to not continue the already poor public knowledge of these devices, and what their true capabilities are.

Just a polite request from me to all yall...thx! :)

Added for those not in the know...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

Last edited:

pooley

Folks, PLEASE stop using the erroneous term "silencer". We all know it does nothing of the sort.

Silencer is the legal name for it. No they don't silence a firearm as I can tell you from a great deal of experience, but that is the legal term.

26 USC chapter 44, Title I, 921(24)
The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any de- vice for silencing, muffling, or diminish- ing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, de- signed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a fire- arm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such as- sembly or fabrication.

Supressor may be the most accurate term, but it's not what .gov calls it.

Trigger Dr

Silencer is the legal name for it. No they don't silence a firearm as I can tell you from a great deal of experience, but that is the legal term.

The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any de- vice for silencing, muffling, or diminish- ing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, de- signed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a fire- arm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such as- sembly or fabrication.

Hmmmmmm? That would make bottle caps, screen wire, 1"pvc pipe, drill bit and adhesive illegal.

pooley

Na, your drill bit is still legal unless you glue it to the bottom like a bayonet

Last edited:

FMCDH

Granted, but Washington State law does not, and since we are talking about the change of an RCW and are posting in the Washington forums....

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250
(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm

Overall, people will post as they wish, it was just a friendly request.

pooley

Granted, but Washington State law does not, and since we are talking about the change of an RCW and are posting in the Washington forums....

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250
(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm

Overall, people will post as they wish, it was just a friendly request.

Oh I completely understand your meaning. Silencer does add that hollywood 'evil assassin' flavor to it & is something of a misnomer in itself. A lot of laws like to give similar words very distinct meanings, like the difference in maker vs. manufacturer in the NFA. That's the only reason I used the term silencer. I generally call them suppressors in conversations about performance, practicality, things like that. My apologies if I seemed a bit overbearing in my response.