• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guide in workplace fo active shooter

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Last edited:

sprinklerguy28

Funny how they tell you to improvise weapons to take down a shooter. Why not let you legally carry one instead? Nice to see they admit sometimes there is no choice but to use a weapon to defend yourself.

TheQ

Funny how they tell you to improvise weapons to take down a shooter. Why not let you legally carry one instead? Nice to see they admit sometimes there is no choice but to use a weapon to defend yourself.

I'm masterful at office rubber band slinging. I can hit a 2" target at 20'!

Onnie

Throw items at the shooter!

let me see, paper clips, paper sheets, in or out boxes, computer screen, chair, and of course lets not forget the desk!

it would be like Wack the MOLE

throw the paper clips and duck, throw sheets of paper and duck! Throw the in box, and duck! Throw the desk, whoops you are screwed! no place to duck!

he is the wacker you are the MOLE!

Last edited:

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
"Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly. Typically, the immediate deployment of law enforcement is required to stop the shooting and mitigate harm to victims.
Because active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes, before law enforcement arrives on the scene, individuals must be prepared both mentally and physically to deal with an active shooter situation."

Let me get this straight, law enforcement is required to stop something that is over before they get there.
10 to fifteen minutes is an awful long time to throw staplers. I need to start hoarding office supplies.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
"Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly. Typically, the immediate deployment of law enforcement is required to stop the shooting and mitigate harm to victims.
Because active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes, before law enforcement arrives on the scene, individuals must be prepared both mentally and physically to deal with an active shooter situation."

Let me get this straight, law enforcement is required to stop something that is over before they get there.
10 to fifteen minutes is an awful long time to throw staplers. I need to start hoarding office supplies.

Too bad at both Virginia Tech and Columbine the cops showed up while shooting was still ongoing, and simply waited for the wanna-be god-mode-ers to kill themselves before actually entering the buildings. Unlike a citizen with nothing between a madman and his own demise, excessively-armed and overtrained SWAT-ninjas are, apparently, far too terrified to actually think about stopping a shooting in progress. Unless they have time to set the snipers up, and can actually get a shot. :rolleyes:

And in Arizona, citizens stopped the shooting. COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: LEO Bashing

Last edited:

warrior1978

Too bad at both Virginia Tech and Columbine the cops showed up while shooting was still ongoing, and simply waited for the wanna-be god-mode-ers to kill themselves before actually entering the buildings. Unlike a citizen with nothing between a madman and his own demise, excessively-armed and overtrained SWAT-ninjas are, apparently, far too terrified to actually think about stopping a shooting in progress. Unless they have time to set the snipers up, and can actually get a shot. :rolleyes:

And in Arizona, citizens stopped the shooting. Cops are less than useless. Our reliance on them is a fatal handicap on a routine basis.

The whole active shooter concept of acting now rather than waiting and then acting is a result of the Columbine. Yes, prior to Columbine with an active shooter, law enforcement responds, establishes a perimeter and waits for SWAT and negotiator. As a result of Columbine, now law enforcement responds and goes in, be that one, two or a small group of officers.
While I have not looked at the DHS brochure, it sounds like it advocates active resistance from the potential hostages/victims as opposed to passivity or compliance.
And as for your comment that Cops are useless; nice way to cast stones at those who at times go to the grave serving and protecting the "sheep". Cops and service members are the sheepdogs protecting the flock, COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
The whole active shooter concept of acting now rather than waiting and then acting is a result of the Columbine. Yes, prior to Columbine with an active shooter, law enforcement responds, establishes a perimeter and waits for SWAT and negotiator. As a result of Columbine, now law enforcement responds and goes in, be that one, two or a small group of officers.
While I have not looked at the DHS brochure, it sounds like it advocates active resistance from the potential hostages/victims as opposed to passivity or compliance.
And as for your comment that Cops are useless; nice way to cast stones at those who at times go to the grave serving and protecting the "sheep". Cops and service members are the sheppards protecting the flock, not some joe shmoe who stockpiles ammunition, never spent a day in a uniform and judges those who do serve.

There is no duty for a cop to protect anyone. That has been ruled by the courts.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: LEO Bashing

scot623

There is no duty for a cop to protect anyone. You all do it for a buck and good benefits. Meanwhile you routinely break laws get away with it, actively trash the constitution, rob people for breaking some traffic law designed to bait people, and otherwise behave like a bunch of jack booted thugs.

Wow. Way to stay classy, Stainless

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
And as for your comment that Cops are useless; nice way to cast stones at those who at times go to the grave serving and protecting the "sheep". Cops and service members are the sheppards protecting the flock, not some joe shmoe who stockpiles ammunition, never spent a day in a uniform and judges those who do serve.

Nonsense. V-tech happened AFTER Columbine. And the cops did the same thing. They might SAY they've changed tactics, as a form of bureaucratic self-justification.... But the proof is in the pudding.

stainless1911

Banned
It wasn't anywhere near a personal attack. He shot first by making statements like "some joe schmoe who stockpiles..." So I returned the sentiment.

Why would anyone believe that I had made a personal attack, that in the same paragraph, left an open invitation to dinner?

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Oh, and as for this, trivial research shows that in major cities like New York, Philly, Chicago, etc., the death rates (while on duty) for police are lower than the homicide rates for the general populace. I believe I've cited to authority on this point in the past. That's right, if you're a citizen in Philly, you're more likely to be murdered than a cop is to die in a car accident on his way to the donut shop.

So, nonsense.

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

You and I were basically called sheep and you accuse Stainless of a personal attack???

Wow. Way to stay classy, Stainless

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!