• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ninth Circuit: Cops who entered home W/O warrant looking for guns can be sued

Repeater

See here:

Entry of police to investigate rumor to "shoot up" school was without exigency or PC

Four officers received a call from a school that a student threatened to “shoot up” the school. The got the report and went to the student’s home. All four entered the house after entrance was refused by the student’s parents. After 10-15 minutes inside where they did not search, the officers concluded the rumor at school was unfounded, and they left and went to the school and reported it. When they were sued, all were found to have qualified immunity. The Ninth Circuit reversed as to the first two and affirmed as to the second two following the first because they believed the first two had consent. As to the first two officers, there were neither exigent circumstances nor probable cause for the entry. Huff v. City of Burbank, 09-55239 (9th Cir. January 11, 2011).

The concurring judge would have found exigent circumstances for the first two officers based a mere fear of a gun.

One would wonder how Saturday's events in Tucson would have borne on this decision. But, opinions waiting release go through processing, so it would have undoubtedly been completed days earlier.

MKEgal

O.M.G.
Despite being refused entrance by both adult owners of the residence, they forced their way in anyway??? And expected to get away with it??

Wouldn't happen here 'cause I keep my screen doors locked, & if an officer other than my friend (who happens to be a police officer) shows up to chat I'll either stay inside or step out & lock the door behind me.

lockman

State Researcher
I would have called for a sheriff's deputy to arrest them all for B&E. That is what they did.:mad:

B & E maybe, it may have different names in different locations but here in IL it is called home invasion! A forceable felony with a justified use of deadly force if the occupants fear for their safety. With police impersonators or corrupt officials this can leave a homeowner with a heart wrenching choice.

Choices:

1. Comply and be violated with your consent.
2. Do not consent or comply and be violated anyway.

sudden valley gunner

I would have called for a sheriff's deputy to arrest them all for B&E. That is what they did.:mad:

I wish it was that easy, maybe in your neck of the woods, but I can't get the Sheriff or prosecutor's here to make any move on police. They told me only if you have proof they are doing something like dealing drugs.

effigy

These particular officers weren't too bright or their superiors weren't too bright. They may have had probable cause to get a warrant, but they blew it.

OldCurlyWolf

I wish it was that easy, maybe in your neck of the woods, but I can't get the Sheriff or prosecutor's here to make any move on police. They told me only if you have proof they are doing something like dealing drugs.

Then take it to the AG's office. If you can't get him off the dime, check with a lawyer about civil rights violations and take it to the US attorney.

If You get the AG to act He should also go after the Sheriff and the DA for non performance of office.

And also go the civil route. Hang them any way you can.

sudden valley gunner

Then take it to the AG's office. If you can't get him off the dime, check with a lawyer about civil rights violations and take it to the US attorney.

If You get the AG to act He should also go after the Sheriff and the DA for non performance of office.

And also go the civil route. Hang them any way you can.

I have, it is ignored, I do have another route I am working on though, one is civilian oversight group, we are starting, and another is I have a friend who works for the FBI.

Thundar

B & E maybe, it may have different names in different locations but here in IL it is called home invasion! A forceable felony with a justified use of deadly force if the occupants fear for their safety. With police impersonators or corrupt officials this can leave a homeowner with a heart wrenching choice.

Choices:

1. Comply and be violated with your consent.
2. Do not consent or comply and be violated anyway.

There is a third choice for resisting such tyrannical actions. (That is why we have the 2A after all.)

4sooth

The way I have had the most success in getting police to understand search and seizure as it relates to weapons is to tell them that there is NO FIREARMS EXCEPTION to the fourth amendment! Lots of surprised looks when they hear this.

since9

Campaign Veteran
There is a third choice for resisting such tyrannical actions. (That is why we have the 2A after all.)

True, and if exercised, you might get away with it until reinforcements arrived to bury you under years of police procedure, if not a hail of gunfire.

I think "I will comply however I do not consent" is the better option, and it might be nice to have a large plaquard handy to hang in the window as you lock your door. Perhaps "I refuse to talk to you further and do not consent to your actions."

I dunno. Gets into all sorts of awkward territory.