• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry and places that serve alcohol

NMGlock26

I will be visiting Tombstone next month. Open carry is allowed as long as I do not enter a place that serves or sells alcohol ? Also have a NM CHL so I can carry concealed in places that serve and sell alcohol ? Thanks in advance for info- clarification.

JesseL

Basically correct.

Places that sell but don't serve alcohol (such as grocery stores, convenience stores, and liquor stores) are fine for open carry unless otherwise posted.

azcdlfred

I will be visiting Tombstone next month. Open carry is allowed as long as I do not enter a place that serves or sells alcohol ? Also have a NM CHL so I can carry concealed in places that serve and sell alcohol ? Thanks in advance for info- clarification.
Anyone with a CCW permit, regardless of the state of issue, may carry a gun into a place that serves alcohol for on premise consumption, providing:
(1). The place is not posted "no firearms."
(2). You carry discreetly (the evil "concealed" in anti-rights lingo).
(3). You don't consume alcohol.

Open carry is forbidden where alcohol is served (for consumption) and discreet carry by non permit holders is forbidden in places where alcohol is served (for consumption).

The "no firearms" sign does NOT have be posted at the door. The law requires it be near the liquor license.

Tombstone is notoriously anti-gun, so expect to see "no firearms" signs everywhere, including business that don't serve alcohol. They don't want your business. Spend your money elsewhere.

Fred

NMGlock26

Tombstone anti-gun

The town that made history with the gun fight at the OK corral and performs reenactments of the famous shoot out is anti gun ? Wow that figures. Not. As for those "no firearm signs" we have lots of them here in New Mexico although I hear allot of people simply do not see them.

JesseL

Wasn't the shootout at the OK corral at least partially the result of the Earps trying to enforce Tombstone's law against carrying guns in town?

MK

Wasn't the shootout at the OK corral at least partially the result of the Earps trying to enforce Tombstone's law against carrying guns in town?

Yes it was. Or at least it was the excuse used to go out and settle a personal score they had with that cowboy faction.

aadvark

There are only 13 States where it there are Restricitions on Carrying a Firearm into any Place that Sells Alcohol for Consumption on-Premises, and of those States, only 6 of them have NO Exceptions for Civilian Personnel as to The Application of that Law.

Addtionally, there is only 1 State, Arkansas, which Prohibits The Loaded Carry or Unloaded Carry, whether Openly or Concealed, whether The Person is Licensed to do so or not, where Alcohol or Alcoholic Beverages are Present, regardless of whether or not such Consumption is Intendend to take Place either on-Premises or off-Premises.

Alcohol, or its Presence, is not a Problem in any other of The 37 States in Relation to Firearm Laws.

*** Intereseting Facts ***
1 State: Vermont; has NO Restricitons at all due to its Status as a Constitutional Carry State.
1 State: Wisconsin; ONLY Prohibits Handguns, but not LongGuns, from The Premises.
2 States: New Mexico AND South Carolina; make it a Felony to Carry a Firearm in any Place where Alcohol is Served or Consumed, regardless of whether or not that Service or Consumption is Intended to be for on-Premises or off-Premises Purposes, however; in every other of The 13 States herein mentioned, Violation of that States' Alcohol-Firearm Law can only Result in a Misdemeanor Charge.
2 States: Kentucky AND South Dakota; Require that Firearms remain Unloaded while on Premises.
3 States: Montana, Wyoming, AND Michigan; Require that Firearms remain Openly Carried while on Premises.
4 States: Alaska, Arizona, New Mexico, AND Texas; Specifically Require Firearms, namely Pistols, Remain Concealed, off of The Authoirty of The Applicable Pistol Permit of The State whereupon Named, or as for Reciprocity, while on Premises.
4 States: Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, AND Ohio; have Legislation Filed this Session, for 2011, to Repeal, Partially or in Full, any such Restrictions concerning Alcohol and Firearms as they Pertain to each State herein Named.

In my State: Georgia; Firearms and Alcohol Mix, and a Person can Legally Drink Alcohol while Armed, provided; they may not Shoot unless in Self-Defense. The only Close-Range Exception lies in Fact that in Order to Enter into any Establishment that is a Bona-Fide Bar, which Derives over 50% of its Revenue from Alcohol Service, one needs to have BOTH a Georgia Weapons Carry License, or its Equivalent, and Permission to Enter, Respectfully.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

There are only 13 States where it there are Restricitions on Carrying a Firearm into any Place that Sells Alcohol for Consumption on-Premises, and of those States, only 6 of them have NO Exceptions for Civilian Personnel as to The Application of that Law.

4 States: Alaska, Arizona, New Mexico, AND Texas; Specifically Require Firearms, namely Pistols, Remain Concealed, off of The Authority of The Applicable Pistol Permit of The State whereupon Named, or as for Reciprocity, while on Premises.

Additional information on Texas.

Currently OC is almost completely outlawed .

Texas prohibits pistols in all places of business that sell alcohol, excepting a CHL holder in some circumstances(the 51% placard business is one of those prohibitions). Rifles and shotguns are NOT prohibited, UNLESS the owner/manager of an establishment objects, this INCLUDES those places with a 51% placard.

Without a CHL, a pistol carried into a place that sells alcohol is a Felony compared to a misdemeanor in most other locations.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Addtionally, there is only 1 State, Arkansas, which Prohibits The Loaded Carry or Unloaded Carry, whether Openly or Concealed, whether The Person is Licensed to do so or not, where Alcohol or Alcoholic Beverages are Present, regardless of whether or not such Consumption is Intendend to take Place either on-Premises or off-Premises.
Your source is out of date. Arkansas has had legal restaurant carry for several years now. It was never illegal in Arkansas to carry where alcohol was sold but not served. It was absolutely not the case that it was illegal to carry where alcohol was "present".

Specifically (note the portion I highlighted):
§5-73-306. Prohibited places.
No license to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to this subchapter
authorizes any person to carry a concealed handgun into:
(12) Any portion of an establishment, except a restaurant as defined in § 3-
9-402, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the
premises;
(13) Any portion of an establishment, except a restaurant as defined in § 3-
9-402, where beer or light wine is consumed on the premises;

Source.

Last edited:

.45acp

Tombstone is notoriously anti-gun, so expect to see "no firearms" signs everywhere, including business that don't serve alcohol. They don't want your business. Spend your money elsewhere.

Fred

Fred,

I have to disagree with you here....I have carried 15 or 20 times in Tombstone and have never had an issue or anything but positive interaction with the local merchants.

Thanks for the work the AZCDL does, you guys do us proud.

Steve

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

The Birdcage makes you check your gun in the lobby entrance. None of the saloons allow guns (concealed or otherwise). Six Gun City used to che k 'em at the gate but that whole place burned down 'bout a month ago. Most people check their guns in 'Smoke Signals', a tobacco shop in Allen St. There's no charge. No loaded guns in Spangenburgs gun shop or any restaurant that sells alcohol. Big Nose Kates will often check you at the door.

.45acp

The Birdcage makes you check your gun in the lobby entrance. None of the saloons allow guns (concealed or otherwise). Six Gun City used to che k 'em at the gate but that whole place burned down 'bout a month ago. Most people check their guns in 'Smoke Signals', a tobacco shop in Allen St. There's no charge. No loaded guns in Spangenburgs gun shop or any restaurant that sells alcohol. Big Nose Kates will often check you at the door.

Yeah, I have seen the signs No Firearm, so I do not patronize the restaurants that have em. There is a place to the north of Fremont on the west end of town that has decent food and they do not have an issue with OC.

Spangenburgs, been in there once about two years ago, that was enough for me.

Steve

coorsleftfield

Fred,

Can you provide the AZ statute that says one cannot open carry into a place that servers alcohol? I can only find 4-229 which allows for a concealed weapon by a permit holder, but nothing about open carry. I'm sure it exists, just haven't been able to find it when I've read 4 and 13.

Anyone with a CCW permit, regardless of the state of issue, may carry a gun into a place that serves alcohol for on premise consumption, providing:
(1). The place is not posted "no firearms."
(2). You carry discreetly (the evil "concealed" in anti-rights lingo).
(3). You don't consume alcohol.

Open carry is forbidden where alcohol is served (for consumption) and discreet carry by non permit holders is forbidden in places where alcohol is served (for consumption).

The "no firearms" sign does NOT have be posted at the door. The law requires it be near the liquor license.

Fred

Dahwg

Fred,

Can you provide the AZ statute that says one cannot open carry into a place that servers alcohol? I can only find 4-229 which allows for a concealed weapon by a permit holder, but nothing about open carry. I'm sure it exists, just haven't been able to find it when I've read 4 and 13.

I'm not Fred, but you already posted the statute. Weapons are not allowed at an establishment that carries alcohol.
ARS 4-244

29. For any person other than a peace officer or a member of a sheriff's volunteer posse while on duty who has received firearms training that is approved by the Arizona peace officer standards and training board, the licensee or an employee of the licensee acting with the permission of the licensee to be in possession of a firearm while on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer. This paragraph shall not be construed to include a situation in which a person is on licensed premises for a limited time in order to seek emergency aid and such person does not buy, receive, consume or possess spirituous liquor. This paragraph shall not apply to:
(a) Hotel or motel guest room accommodations.
(b) The exhibition or display of a firearm in conjunction with a meeting, show, class or similar event.
(c) A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 who carries a concealed handgun on the licensed premises of any on-sale retailer that has not posted a notice pursuant to section 4-229.

Therefore if weapons are prohibited with the exception pursuant to 4-229:

A. A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. The sign shall conform to the following requirements:

Thus 4-229 provides the only allowable method of carry.

aadvark

KBCraig:

My Arkansas Alcohol-related Post is in Reference to Arkansas Code 5-73-120(d)(1), which provides:

Any Person who Carries a Weapon into an Establishment that Sells Alcoholic Beverages is Guilty of a Misdemeanor and Subject to a Fine of not more than Two Thousand Five Hundred Dollars [$2,500] or Imprisonment for not more than One [1] Year, or both.

aadvark

*** However, Arkansas Code 5-73-120(d)(1) has a Different set of Laws and Places Off-Limits, Generally under Sub-Chapter 1 of Chapter 73 than what is otherwise Mentioned under Sub-Chapter 4 of Chapter 73 of Arkansas Code. ***

Last edited:

KBCraig

*** However, Arkansas Code 5-73-120(d)(1) has a Different set of Laws and Places Off-Limits, Generally under Sub-Chapter 1 of Chapter 73 than what is otherwise Mentioned under Sub-Chapter 4 of Chapter 73 of Arkansas Code. ***

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you just said.

Can you clarify so that I can understand, with a specific cite to Arkansas Code? (Preferably with a link, but it's okay if you just cite a specific section of the code.)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

Alcohol, or its Presence, is not a Problem in any other of The 37 States in Relation to Firearm Laws.

*** Intereseting Facts ***
1 State: Vermont; has NO Restricitons at all due to its Status as a Constitutional Carry State.
1 State: Wisconsin; ONLY Prohibits Handguns, but not LongGuns, from The Premises.
2 States: New Mexico AND South Carolina; make it a Felony to Carry a Firearm in any Place where Alcohol is Served or Consumed, regardless of whether or not that Service or Consumption is Intended to be for on-Premises or off-Premises Purposes, however; in every other of The 13 States herein mentioned, Violation of that States' Alcohol-Firearm Law can only Result in a Misdemeanor Charge.
2 States: Kentucky AND South Dakota; Require that Firearms remain Unloaded while on Premises.
3 States: Montana, Wyoming, AND Michigan; Require that Firearms remain Openly Carried while on Premises.
4 States: Alaska, Arizona, New Mexico, AND Texas; Specifically Require Firearms, namely Pistols, Remain Concealed, off of The Authoirty of The Applicable Pistol Permit of The State whereupon Named, or as for Reciprocity, while on Premises.
4 States: Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, AND Ohio; have Legislation Filed this Session, for 2011, to Repeal, Partially or in Full, any such Restrictions concerning Alcohol and Firearms as they Pertain to each State herein Named.

In my State: Georgia; Firearms and Alcohol Mix, and a Person can Legally Drink Alcohol while Armed, provided; they may not Shoot unless in Self-Defense. The only Close-Range Exception lies in Fact that in Order to Enter into any Establishment that is a Bona-Fide Bar, which Derives over 50% of its Revenue from Alcohol Service, one needs to have BOTH a Georgia Weapons Carry License, or its Equivalent, and Permission to Enter, Respectfully.

Regarding Kentucky the restriction on carry that you provide is only correct for a "bar". KRS 244.125 provides that the restriction does not apply to bona fide restaurants, which have dining facilities for more than 50 people and receive less than 50% of their gross income from alcohol sales. Thus unloaded carry of a firearm is only required in a place that most would consider a dedicated bar.
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/244-00/125.PDF

** I believe that the restriction which forces one to carry openly in Michigan with a CPL (concealed pistol license) is only applicable to a "bar", thus one may carry concealed or openly with a CPL in Michigan in restaurants. I do not readily know their codes so it will take some digging for me to find this if necessary.

Last edited:

NMGlock26

The only "check" I do is a press check and to make sure my pistol is in my control at all times. Checking pistols at the door is a bad idea. It increases the chance of a ND by people that are not well trained.