• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boating

usamarshal

Not sure about you guys, but I'm looking forward to OCing on the water. No mexicans or pirates will be trying to robbing/kidnapping this cowboy while I reel them puppies in...;)

gprod55

You may want to carry something more then a handgun IE any semi auto rifle comes to mind at least you'll be on par with what their going to use on you. Be safe.

1MOA

Please Do!

Just last summer, off Cleveland Ohio a man was robbed at gunpoint while fishing. The robber(s) came up alongside the fishermans boat and made smalltalk about the weather and his catch then pulled an gun stole his wallet AND HIS FISH! Made him throw is cell phone and his boat keys overboard.
I responded to this call and engaged in an extensive search for the suspect(s) as i am Active Duty in the Coast guard on the Great Lakes.
As we are Federal Law Enforcement you are not required a CHL as far as i know.
That might be a different story with ODNR who also patrol the waters of the Great Lakes... but not sure on that one.

Happy boating and be safe!
Lifejackets lifejackets lifejackets! Cant stress that one enough.

1MOA

But...

Just to expand on this a little more....

It is Coast Guard policy to secure the weapon while we are conducting the boarding and that is one of the very first questions were going to ask you before coming onto your boat. "Without reaching for or touching, are there any weapons on board your boat?"
Officer Safety.... that's how we operate... so don't be pissed if a Coastie wants to secure your gun while their on the boat....

Just sayin...:D

usamarshal

Ya, I heard the coast guard did that in new orleans after katrina and then kept the firearms...haha...I haven't seen any coast guard at the local lakes/ponds so I'm not too worried...:cool:

zack991

It is Coast Guard policy to secure the weapon while we are conducting the boarding and that is one of the very first questions were going to ask you before coming onto your boat. "Without reaching for or touching, are there any weapons on board your boat?"
Officer Safety.... that's how we operate... so don't be pissed if a Coastie wants to secure your gun while their on the boat....

I am 100% for all officers to have safety during stops, but during Katerina there has been so many cases after case of local police and the US military took legally owned firearms and refused to give them back to their rightfully owners even when they found no laws had been broken. Yet when police have refused to give back the weapons and refuse to give a receipt or a way for owners of said weapons to get their guns back is what I have a huge problem with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4

Last edited:

1MOA

Were on the same page

I am 100% for all officers to have safety, but during Katerina there has been so many cases after case of local police and the US military took legally owned firearms and refused to give them back to their rightfully owners even when they found no laws had been broken. Yet when police have refused to give back the weapons when no laws have been broken and refuse to give a receipt or a way for owners of said weapons to get their guns back is what I have a huge problem with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4

I agree 100%. That would be a huge problem for me too and is not something i have ever had to experiance. That was not very smart on the Police and or Militarys side to basically steal these peoples weapons, their mentality was probably of all the looting killing and raping going on that they wanted to stop figuring that if they were the only ones with guns it would stop. Which is ABSOLUTLEY RIDICULOUS, more people (the law abiding ones) that now had no weapons to defend themselves with were being raped or murdered.
I digress... I am an avid 2nd Amendment supporter and even under the circumstances i couldnt do that.

Makarov

Enough of officer safety

I have had enough of the law enforcement safety issue. Especially with open carry in the automobile. Love the job most of you guys do, but my safety is more inportant. Too many of you guys are turning into Gestapo. I have seen it every where. Get used to us, we are used to you. Bad guys dont wear guns. Any law disarming the public in front of police should be unconstitutional. In my world when an officer tells me to disarm, Im worried. Too many of you guys have draw weapons for no reason what so ever on the public, but you guys are exempt FROM BRANDISHING. There is also a number of shooting by police officers against unarmed folks. The shooting are not investigated well, officers get away with murder. Sorry there is a big trust factor when police shoot the public for no reason. According to the law you can consume alcohol at you lodge meetings with weapons on. If we did that, we would be arrested. I should be able to wear my side arm in any police officers presents. I TRUST YOU, WHY DONT YOU TRUST ME. By the way, Im retire from the military. It is a right that shall not be infringed. PS: The police presents in Ohio should be reduced by two thirds. With people carrying concealed, or open, they will take care of themselves. By reducing police presents, we can balence the budget in Ohio by stopping the big spending on pensions. The Ohio Highway patrol should be disbanned and merged into the county sherriff districts. Unions shoould be against the law.

I feel better now...just my rant...good day!

Last edited: