• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dress code?

reillo584

After a pleasant afternoon of OC’ing (without issues) at the mall, on our way back to the car, the wife brought up an interesting point…
She thinks that maybe the way that I normally dress (i.e. 5.11 shirts or pants, Spec-Ops belt or 5.11 boots) may give people the impression that I am in the military (which I am) or an off-duty cop; I don’t now if this is a good thing or not. Should I change this?
I mean, this is the way that I normally dress (carry or not), but if this is not helping on spreading the message, which is that we are “regular Joes”, Law abiding citizens exercising our right to carry, I’m willing to make some changes to my wardrobe, In order to blend some more;… your thoughts?

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

We're not trying to look like anything we're not. By the way, all the malls around here are already known for having "No Guns" policies. You were lucky you weren't contacted by security and then possibly police. You're new here so you probably haven't read the other threads about malls around here. Those are older threads.

sudden valley gunner

Him not getting bothered helps our cause though. I know of a few folks who carry at their local Costco in California. They don't ask questions think about how that manager and that staff can attest if it does come up in a meeting how they have no problems with those who OC in their store.

Don' change how you dress unless you feel like wearing something different, it's about normalization, in the summer time you will often see me in a t-shirt, shorts and slippahs (flip-flops for you haoles :p). The cold weather I've been working in when it hit 44 the other day I wore shorts, because it felt hot too me.

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing ya around sometime.

reillo584

We're not trying to look like anything we're not. By the way, all the malls around here are already known for having "No Guns" policies. You were lucky you weren't contacted by security and then possibly police. You're new here so you probably haven't read the other threads about malls around here. Those are older threads.

I understand and I’m aware of the mall policies in the area, I should have mention this was a "little mall" in University Place area, Not Tacoma mall... in this case there were no sings in any of the establishments that we visit (I’m always on the look for such sings), but this is precisely my point, I’m trying to be myself… that’s why I’m asking to you guys (that had been doing this for a while) if any change needs to be done on my part in order to spread better the message…

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
After a pleasant afternoon of OC’ing (without issues) at the mall, on our way back to the car, the wife brought up an interesting point…
She thinks that maybe the way that I normally dress (i.e. 5.11 shirts or pants, Spec-Ops belt or 5.11 boots) may give people the impression that I am in the military (which I am) or an off-duty cop; I don’t now if this is a good thing or not. Should I change this?
I mean, this is the way that I normally dress (carry or not), but if this is not helping on spreading the message, which is that we are “regular Joes”, Law abiding citizens exercising our right to carry, I’m willing to make some changes to my wardrobe, In order to blend some more;… your thoughts?

Dressing nice and clean hmmm no problem here.

I think the point being made by the wife is that people when they see you in the attire there would be likelihood they would associate you with either military or law enforcement and I am thinking, what is so bad about that? :lol:
If you are choosing to carry concealed it could be an indication you are carrying but then what is so bad about that? :lol:

Last edited:

Deleted_User

Just stay away from tactical drop hoster / thigh rigs and you'll be fine (Sarcasm OFF)

Honestly, I saw no problem. You carry yourself well, and just be comfortable. I've been told "wear a polo shirt and nice pants" but that's not me personally. In the end, it's about comfort, and shouldn't be about what we wear. Military haircuts give us away anyhow :p

FMCDH

Just stay away from tactical drop hoster / thigh rigs and you'll be fine (Sarcasm OFF)

Honestly, I saw no problem. You carry yourself well, and just be comfortable. I've been told "wear a polo shirt and nice pants" but that's not me personally. In the end, it's about comfort, and shouldn't be about what we wear. Military haircuts give us away anyhow :p

YES! :D

I am constantly asked when seen OCing what "department" I work for. I just shake my head and tell them "I just carry for defense".

Like others have said, its not so bad letting people think whatever they want, as whatever gets people into the mindset of, see gun = ok, then I will take it.

Some people seem more willing to talk to a military member or someone they believe to be a LEO about firearms and carrying. I wont lie or lead them on if they ask, but their assumptions are their problem, and if it opens the door where it wouldn't have before, all the better.

Trigger Dr

My standard answer to "Are you a cop?" is "Is there a problem?" if they say no , I just reply that's good and walk away. if they say yes, I tell them no, call 911.

DEROS72

Ed your appearence is excellent .I am with Goose ,thigh rigs, tac gear ,camos really is purcieved wrong by many.There have been those that all of a sudden when open carrying turn into Terry Tactical,Camos and all.Ridiculous,not the image we want.Dress as you would before you open carried.Whether we like it or not image plays a role in public perception with the regards to normalizing the practice.Which brings more and more of the general public around to accepting it.Much of the time when I'm out most people don't even notice.Iv'e seen those however that make a point to always turn strong side to the public and try to create a confrontation so they can scream its my right ,its my right.Really stupid.

Anyway I have updated my OC attire so as to be less conspicuous...

FMCDH

Ed your appearence is excellent .I am with Goose ,thigh rigs, tac gear ,camos really is purcieved wrong by many.There have been those that all of a sudden when open carrying turn into Terry Tactical,Camos and all.Ridiculous,not the image we want.Dress as you would before you open carried.Whether we like it or not image plays a role in public perception with the regards to normalizing the practice.Which brings more and more of the general public around to accepting it.Much of the time when I'm out most people don't even notice.Iv'e seen those however that make a point to always turn strong side to the public and try to create a confrontation so they can scream its my right ,its my right.Really stupid.

They don't notice your pistol because they are always captivated by your hair! :p

O, and as for your new OC attire, you will want to wear mother of pearl grips with that! Black plastic or rubber would just clash. ;)

Stretch

Somebody will guess where he stashes his bug...

DEROS72

Indeed FMCDH....It's all about the accesories...

I was also going for a more subtle look as well ....

fire suppressor

I know this has already been said a few times but wanted to put my two cents out there. No don't change the way you dress don't let peer pressure change who you are willing to be. The whole point of OCing is choosing to live your life the way you want to live it. If we let people dictate how a OCer should dress then all our efforts to exercise our freedom is wasted. My only advise is dress clean and respectable. I'm not trying to contradict my self or sound hypocritical but when you OC your representing the whole community

1245A Defender

I know this has already been said a few times but wanted to put my two cents out there.

No don't change the way you dress don't let peer pressure change who you are willing to be.
every body ive met, looked just fine.

The whole point of OCing is choosing to live your life the way you want to live it.
your style and demeanor are real good.

If we let people dictate how a OCer should dress then all our efforts to exercise our freedom is wasted.
thats why we dont talk about this topic.

My only advise is dress clean and respectable.
my only advice is to ignore any advice youre given about how to dress for OC.

I'm not trying to contradict my self or sound hypocritical but when you OC your representing the whole community
ooops,,, too late to contradict yourself or sound hypocritical..

im not trying to be an ass,,, but not telling, then telling, just aint right,

Last edited:

amlevin

If we let people dictate how a OCer should dress then all our efforts to exercise our freedom is wasted.

The public can't dictate how you dress just like you can't dictate how they perceive you. If you go about your business in a reasonable manner, with attire that is not too extreme or purposely designed to garner attention, you will hardly be noticed by most people who are also just going about their business.

When people go to extremes by their dress, grooming, or actions, they will be judged accordingly. It's all a matter of how you want to be perceived. Just be prepared for undue attention if you decide to "stand out".

BTW, if Military Haircuts are a giveaway, then I've been seen as "military" since 1965. Once my "basic buzz" grew out I've been wearing it the same way.

Just a little added point. In my job I had to travel a lot. A typical week started with a stack of plane tickets. Others in my company did likewise. The "travelers" were broken into two basic groups. Those that traveled in casual business attire and those that "dressed down", some "way down". I found that those who wore the casual business attire had more trips where they were "upgraded" in plane accommodations as well as rental cars. The "traveling slobs" as we called them, usually got what they booked.

Like it or not, a person wearing a pair of slacks and a polo shirt will be perceived much differently than one in torn or grease stained jeans or stinky hunting clothes, especially if they are wearing a firearm. Wear what you want. Just don't complain if people react the way they want.

Last edited: