Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBS - Open carry movement stands tall after Arizona madman attacks crowd

Moderator / Administrator

PBS - Open carry movement stands tall after Arizona madman attacks crowd

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know...a-tragedy/6428

SNIP

Back in May, we introduced you to some advocates of what’s called the “open carry” movement. If you’re a gun owner you may already know the term. If not, the “open carry” advocates want the right to carry guns openly pretty much anywhere. And, as you might expect, they oppose many gun regulations. In the wake of the shootings in Tucson, we wanted to see if they’d changed their attitudes at all about guns, so our correspondent, John Larson, checked in with them again this week.

. . .

It was decent, but it was from the liberal federally funded PBS.
    Last edited by zack991; 01-14-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    It was ok but it was from the liberal federally funded PBS.
    With a commercial leading off.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    With a commercial leading off.
    They are certainly known to lean more left than obama himself and every year take millions in tax payer money.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Campaign Veteran
    I thought the linked piece was very even-handed, and it ended on a positive note for OCA's. Good job, Virginians!
    Last edited by petrophase; 01-14-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Haven't seen the rumored anti 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by petrophase View Post
    I thought the linked piece was very even-handed, and it ended on a positive note for OCA's. Good job, Virginians!
    Yeah, I really didn't think it was that bad at all. I suspect some don't bother to actually watch it, yet make assumptions regardless.

well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by petrophase View Post
    i thought it was even more than even handed, it was very positive for self defense carry!

and i get a kick out of meeting notable forum members, hi ed.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Maybe, just maybe some average citizen will watch this and change their mind and say to them self, "Now that makes sense"
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    ii get a kick out of meeting notable forum members, hi ed.
    Hi!

The crew was nice enough.. it was the editors and the NY host that were not our friends.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

That reporter talking at the end about mental illness made me sick. People with depression who went to a doctor shouldn't own guns? That's how I saw it. I guess anyone with depression shouldn't seek treatment if they own guns or wish to at some future time. That'll do it! Then the untreated go to full anger nutso depression or they hang themself in front of a live webcam. Yeah that is real good! These idiots have no idea how many people with a mental illness own guns legally- yet very very few ever go off the deep end and harm others. I even know of a lady with bipolar disorder who can have episodes that scare people ( they never scared me btw, but you know how some people are)- she has never had an involuntary- and has had access to firearms for many years. Her art is probably what helps her when the meds aren't working right. One time she called me to ask if I wanted this duck she just shot. It was a male domestic duck and was raping the female ducks left and right and she got sick of it and shot it in the head with a .22. I never even thought that this woman was dangerous over this, the thought never crossed my mind of bipolar+gun+killing bad duck=OMG. Her partner doesn't seem worried either. They are both educated and intelligent women. Their property goes right smack dab to the PA/MD border and they are on the MD side, plus there is a dead end roadway to a housing subdivision on the PA side. I told her she could strap that .38 she says she owns on her and walk into PA open carrying it and be 100% legal. I trust her, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Maybe, just maybe some average citizen will watch this and change their mind and say to them self, "Now that makes sense"
    Well, that's what the rational/sane 80% of us do.

I'm not quite sure what the other 20% of us do. I do worry about them, though. Not much I can do, though. They are, after all, adults. Get ticked at us for being rational, I suppose...

Meanwhile, from what I heard, New Orleans continues to rank high in terms of murder...

Been there, survived that...
    Last edited by since9; 01-23-2011 at 03:59 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I live in Birmingham. I carry a gun, openly.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

PBS did a much better job with this one. They had ridiculous questions of course, but they allowed the pro-gun groups ample time to answer and refute them.

the Reality

Okay they were talking about Mentally ill, when I was 17 I attempted Suicide for Attn. I was not serious about going through with it, and have no desire to try now, when I was 17 I had a lot on my plate, and was a virtual outcast at the time. I am not even so much as depressed at this point in my life, I am seen as mentally healthy, and not a danger to myself or other, and never will be.

Yet in this case they far left would do their best to ban me from having a gun because of my choice to get attn. when I was 17 years old. I have had 7 mental evals almost all from the Military when I was in to get my Security Clearance, not once was I seen as unstable, or depressed.

none of the 7 evals was in any way negative but one, and after the many piles of events in my life, and the emotional trauma, I was told I may be Slightly depressed, but they do not think it needs drugs, and at the most may need counseling. However that is also up for debate, and they are giving me even further evals to see if I am even depressed because I do not even present as one.

I wonder how I can go through all the Trauma of the Army, be fully active in my community, and have nothing slowing me down, and yet they would want to take my guns away because I had one issue when I was an emotional teen, and may be a mildly depressed person.

I have no criminal record, no desire to harm any one, and have shown a disposition to help others. So I wonder how it would not be violating my rights to take them away.

Screw the far left for their assumption that just because you may have some mild illness that you should be barred from self protection.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 07Altima View Post
    ...Screw the far left for their assumption that just because you may have some mild illness that you should be barred from self protection.
    That is not the way the federal law (or Alabama law--I don't know about other States) reads. You have to be adjudicated as mentally ill. A judge, after due process, has to make an appealable ruling that one is officially nutso. "Mild" mental illness generally won't earn such an adjudication.

Screw the far left for their assumption that just because you may have some mild illness that you should be barred from self protection.
    Seems to me that most of the "near right" takes the same stance.

That is not the way the federal law (or Alabama law--I don't know about other States) reads. You have to be adjudicated as mentally ill. A judge, after due process, has to make an appealable ruling that one is officially nutso. "Mild" mental illness generally won't earn such an adjudication.
    One can be committed against one's will. This renders one an disqualified individual. One's parents can do this reasonless, or out of spite.

Is due process still applied for those who are disqualified on those grounds?

hate to be nit picky, but this part of the statement bothered me

quote, "the “open carry” advocates want the right to carry guns openly pretty much anywhere. "

as far as i'm concerned, we already have the right. it's the government infringements that is wrong.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

I watched this as well today. fair enough but nothing I'd jusmp up and down about. Then I thought about Gunrunner and went over to www.npr.org did a search on "fast and furious" and they[ve several stories on the matter. Then went to www.pbs.org and found nothing. I searched both gunrunner and fast and furious and fond nothing. I wonder what motivated them to do the peice here. PBS has never impressed me as being strongly interested in investigating democratic administrations. I didn't read any of NPR's work so I can't speak to it directly, but they spent months spreading the 90% of guns in Mexico come from the US crap.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I watched this as well today. fair enough but nothing I'd jusmp up and down about. Then I thought about Gunrunner and went over to www.npr.org did a search on "fast and furious" and they[ve several stories on the matter. Then went to www.pbs.org and found nothing. I searched both gunrunner and fast and furious and fond nothing. I wonder what motivated them to do the peice here. PBS has never impressed me as being strongly interested in investigating democratic administrations. I didn't read any of NPR's work so I can't speak to it directly, but they spent months spreading the 90% of guns in Mexico come from the US crap.
    That makes for some fun statistics! 90% of the confiscated guns in Mexico came from the ATF!

Okay they were talking about Mentally ill, when I was 17 I attempted Suicide for Attn. I was not serious about going through with it, and have no desire to try now, when I was 17 I had a lot on my plate, and was a virtual outcast at the time. I am not even so much as depressed at this point in my life, I am seen as mentally healthy, and not a danger to myself or other, and never will be.

Yet in this case they far left would do their best to ban me from having a gun because of my choice to get attn. when I was 17 years old. I have had 7 mental evals almost all from the Military when I was in to get my Security Clearance, not once was I seen as unstable, or depressed.

none of the 7 evals was in any way negative but one, and after the many piles of events in my life, and the emotional trauma, I was told I may be Slightly depressed, but they do not think it needs drugs, and at the most may need counseling. However that is also up for debate, and they are giving me even further evals to see if I am even depressed because I do not even present as one.

I wonder how I can go through all the Trauma of the Army, be fully active in my community, and have nothing slowing me down, and yet they would want to take my guns away because I had one issue when I was an emotional teen, and may be a mildly depressed person.

I have no criminal record, no desire to harm any one, and have shown a disposition to help others. So I wonder how it would not be violating my rights to take them away.

qft
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Who defines mental illness? How can "they" tell who will go on a rampage?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dukenukum View Post
    Who defines mental illness? How can "they" tell who will go on a rampage?
    According to the law, folks who are "adjudicated" as mentally ill cannot lawfully possess firearms. That means that a court makes the decision on who is mentally ill. That decision will be based on what the law says on the subject and the testimony of experts who have examined the person facing adjudication.

According to the law, folks who are "adjudicated" as mentally ill cannot lawfully possess firearms. That means that a court makes the decision on who is mentally ill. That decision will be based on what the law says on the subject and the testimony of experts who have examined the person facing adjudication.
    That assumes that the proper avenues are followed ... which evidently DIDN'T happen in the VA Tech shooting ... it was so evident that the shooter was unbalanced that one female student changed her seat to nearest the door just in case he started shooting one day http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/prevail/do...ev20091204.pdf

In addition to what eye states, in some instances, the diagnosis/treatment for certain mental illnesses (suicide, clinical depression, etc) and/or the prescription of particular drugs precludes someone from owning a firearm - without court intervention.

I don't know how many of you have family members who are chronic drug addicts or have mental health issues and have tried to intervene or get an appropriate agency to intervene with them, but you will find that it is very difficult to deal with mental health on behalf of another, and if they are closely associated with providing state-mandated services, even harder to deal with.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Banned
    The federal law specifically (and only) says about mental illness that anyone who "has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution" is barred from possession of firearms. Commitment is a legal proceeding in court.

I won't speak to State laws. They vary widely, and may set other standards. I am only speaking of the federal standard which requires a court to make a ruling before the prohibition can kick in. Any standard that removes the RKBA without due process would, IMO, be unconstitutional.
    Last edited by eye95; 07-15-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast