• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PBS - Open carry movement stands tall after Arizona madman attacks crowd

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-kno...about-firearms-after-the-arizona-tragedy/6428

SNIP

Back in May, we introduced you to some advocates of what’s called the “open carry” movement. If you’re a gun owner you may already know the term. If not, the “open carry” advocates want the right to carry guns openly pretty much anywhere. And, as you might expect, they oppose many gun regulations. In the wake of the shootings in Tucson, we wanted to see if they’d changed their attitudes at all about guns, so our correspondent, John Larson, checked in with them again this week.

. . .

zack991

It was decent, but it was from the liberal federally funded PBS.

Last edited:

XD40coyote

That reporter talking at the end about mental illness made me sick. People with depression who went to a doctor shouldn't own guns? That's how I saw it. I guess anyone with depression shouldn't seek treatment if they own guns or wish to at some future time. That'll do it! Then the untreated go to full anger nutso depression or they hang themself in front of a live webcam. Yeah that is real good! These idiots have no idea how many people with a mental illness own guns legally- yet very very few ever go off the deep end and harm others. I even know of a lady with bipolar disorder who can have episodes that scare people ( they never scared me btw, but you know how some people are)- she has never had an involuntary- and has had access to firearms for many years. Her art is probably what helps her when the meds aren't working right. One time she called me to ask if I wanted this duck she just shot. It was a male domestic duck and was raping the female ducks left and right and she got sick of it and shot it in the head with a .22. I never even thought that this woman was dangerous over this, the thought never crossed my mind of bipolar+gun+killing bad duck=OMG. Her partner doesn't seem worried either. They are both educated and intelligent women. Their property goes right smack dab to the PA/MD border and they are on the MD side, plus there is a dead end roadway to a housing subdivision on the PA side. I told her she could strap that .38 she says she owns on her and walk into PA open carrying it and be 100% legal. I trust her, do you?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Maybe, just maybe some average citizen will watch this and change their mind and say to them self, "Now that makes sense"

Well, that's what the rational/sane 80% of us do. :)

I'm not quite sure what the other 20% of us do. I do worry about them, though. Not much I can do, though. They are, after all, adults. Get ticked at us for being rational, I suppose...

Meanwhile, from what I heard, New Orleans continues to rank high in terms of murder...

Been there, survived that...

Last edited:

nigmalg

PBS did a much better job with this one. They had ridiculous questions of course, but they allowed the pro-gun groups ample time to answer and refute them.

07Altima

the Reality

Okay they were talking about Mentally ill, when I was 17 I attempted Suicide for Attn. I was not serious about going through with it, and have no desire to try now, when I was 17 I had a lot on my plate, and was a virtual outcast at the time. I am not even so much as depressed at this point in my life, I am seen as mentally healthy, and not a danger to myself or other, and never will be.

Yet in this case they far left would do their best to ban me from having a gun because of my choice to get attn. when I was 17 years old. I have had 7 mental evals almost all from the Military when I was in to get my Security Clearance, not once was I seen as unstable, or depressed.

none of the 7 evals was in any way negative but one, and after the many piles of events in my life, and the emotional trauma, I was told I may be Slightly depressed, but they do not think it needs drugs, and at the most may need counseling. However that is also up for debate, and they are giving me even further evals to see if I am even depressed because I do not even present as one.

I wonder how I can go through all the Trauma of the Army, be fully active in my community, and have nothing slowing me down, and yet they would want to take my guns away because I had one issue when I was an emotional teen, and may be a mildly depressed person.

I have no criminal record, no desire to harm any one, and have shown a disposition to help others. So I wonder how it would not be violating my rights to take them away.

Screw the far left for their assumption that just because you may have some mild illness that you should be barred from self protection.

eye95

...Screw the far left for their assumption that just because you may have some mild illness that you should be barred from self protection.

That is not the way the federal law (or Alabama law--I don't know about other States) reads. You have to be adjudicated as mentally ill. A judge, after due process, has to make an appealable ruling that one is officially nutso. "Mild" mental illness generally won't earn such an adjudication.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
That is not the way the federal law (or Alabama law--I don't know about other States) reads. You have to be adjudicated as mentally ill. A judge, after due process, has to make an appealable ruling that one is officially nutso. "Mild" mental illness generally won't earn such an adjudication.

One can be committed against one's will. This renders one an disqualified individual. One's parents can do this reasonless, or out of spite.

Is due process still applied for those who are disqualified on those grounds?

papa bear

hate to be nit picky, but this part of the statement bothered me

quote, "the “open carry” advocates want the right to carry guns openly pretty much anywhere. "

as far as i'm concerned, we already have the right. it's the government infringements that is wrong.

JohnH

I watched this as well today. fair enough but nothing I'd jusmp up and down about. Then I thought about Gunrunner and went over to www.npr.org did a search on "fast and furious" and they[ve several stories on the matter. Then went to www.pbs.org and found nothing. I searched both gunrunner and fast and furious and fond nothing. I wonder what motivated them to do the peice here. PBS has never impressed me as being strongly interested in investigating democratic administrations. I didn't read any of NPR's work so I can't speak to it directly, but they spent months spreading the 90% of guns in Mexico come from the US crap.

Daylen

I watched this as well today. fair enough but nothing I'd jusmp up and down about. Then I thought about Gunrunner and went over to www.npr.org did a search on "fast and furious" and they[ve several stories on the matter. Then went to www.pbs.org and found nothing. I searched both gunrunner and fast and furious and fond nothing. I wonder what motivated them to do the peice here. PBS has never impressed me as being strongly interested in investigating democratic administrations. I didn't read any of NPR's work so I can't speak to it directly, but they spent months spreading the 90% of guns in Mexico come from the US crap.

That makes for some fun statistics! 90% of the confiscated guns in Mexico came from the ATF!